1205 users online (165 members and 1040 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BRITAIN raises security level to SEVERE

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100122/..._britain_alert

LONDON (Reuters) Britain raised its international terrorism threat level to 'severe' -- its second highest level of terror alert -- from 'substantial' on Friday, Home Secretary (interior minister) Alan Johnson said.
    "The Joint Terrorism Analysis Center has today raised the threat to the UK from international terrorism from substantial to severe. This means that a terrorist attack is highly likely, but I should stress that there is no intelligence to suggest =============snipped

EmMomma is offline Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    I got a news alert about this.
    How scary.
    I certainly hope nothing comes of it...
    "Lost is not alone..." T. Miller, Founder TES (and MY HERO!!!)

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will." -

Edward Everett Hale

I live in England and had not heard of it

Just read this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8476238.stm

Snipped from above
    ...It is in response to the perceived increased threat from international terrorism following the failed Detroit airliner bombing on Christmas Day.

Mr Johnson stressed there was no intelligence to suggest a terrorist attack was imminent.

The decision to raise the threat level was made by the UK's Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC).

THREAT LEVEL SYSTEM
    Low - attack is unlikely
    Moderate - attack is possible, but not likely
    Substantial - attack is a strong possibility
    Severe - attack is highly likely
    Critical - attack is expected imminently

Timeline: UK threat levels

Mr Johnson said JTAC kept the threat level under constant review, making its judgments based on a broad range of factors, including the intent and capabilities of international terrorist groups in the UK and overseas. ...

Scarey times guys, scarey times...

yikes
    gosh - stay safe all our UK WS'ers!

Just heard that flights from Yemen are suspended.
    Chatter is causing concern.
    Upcoming Afghan mtg in London is potential target from Taliban threats.
    Widening "watch" list at airport security.

I've been watching the evening news,waiting to hear about this. Nothing at all,they are really keeping this low key.

Quote Originally Posted by petra View Post
    Just heard that flights from Yemen are suspended.
    Chatter is causing concern.
    Upcoming Afghan mtg in London is potential target from Taliban threats.
    Widening "watch" list at airport security.
    Jattekram Petra, min vann

One thing we know too is they aren't telling everything they know, for security's sake. I wish them bloody success with their strategy. xox

EmMomma is offline Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    I think cancelling flights is an excellent idea...and, selfishly, I hope that someone here in the states is taking notes...
    "Lost is not alone..." T. Miller, Founder TES (and MY HERO!!!)

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will." -

Edward Everett Hale

GOD Bless Us ALL!!!
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

Pondering Mind is offline here a ponder, there a ponder...everywhere a ponder = ADD
    Over The Hills And Through The Woods..on the corner,S.C..
    Quote Originally Posted by passionflower View Post
    GOD Bless Us ALL!!!
    passion, may I add~

God Help Us All...it truly is scary times..

They included a suspension of direct flights between the UK and Yemen and a "no-fly list" to prevent people with suspected militant links from travelling to Britain.
    Mr Johnson said: "We still face a real and serious threat to the UK from international terrorism, so I would urge the public to remain vigilant and carry on reporting suspicious events to the appropriate authorities----------------------snipped from sky news

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-..._Highly_Likely_
    Last edited by petra; 01-23-2010 at 04:04 AM. Reason: add link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...ised-uk-severe

The escalation reversed a decision in July to downgrade the likelihood of a terror attack from "severe" to "substantial".
    Johnson said the change was not ­specifically linked to the increased threat from international terrorism following the failed Detroit plane bombing on Christmas Day or to any other incident.
    He said the Joint Terrorism ­Analysis Centre (Jtac), a unit within MI5, had taken the ­decision based on a broad range of ­factors, ­including the intent and ­capabilities of international terrorist groups in the UK and overseas.
    Johnson said: "We still face a real and serious threat to the UK from ­international terrorism, so I would urge the public to remain vigilant and carry on ­reporting ­suspicious events to the appropriate authorities, and to support the police and security services in their ­continuing efforts to discover, track and disrupt ­terrorist activity."
    He said the public should be reassured by the UK's "very adept and very focused counter-terrorism" services.......................................... .......snipped
    Last edited by petra; 01-23-2010 at 04:06 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by scandi View Post
    Jattekram Petra, min vann

One thing we know too is they aren't telling everything they know, for security's sake. I wish them bloody success with their strategy. xox
    klem og hilsen tilbake scandi--jeg skall skrive norske til deg!!!!
    eller kram och puss--det er lenger tiden min svenske venn --jeg hoper alt er bra med deg.......

yes--i hope there are no more terror incidents anywhere,anytime!!!
    what a way to live-i have almost forgot what it was like to live in the time before these threat levels...........

Quote Originally Posted by petra View Post
    klem og hilsen tilbake scandi--jeg skall skrive norske til deg!!!!
    eller kram och puss--det er lenger tiden min svenske venn --jeg hoper alt er bra med deg.......

Yes, I hope there are no more terror incidents anywhere,anytime!!!
    what a way to live-i have almost forgot what it was like to live in the time before these threat levels...........
    Amen Petra, I remember well the terrorist subway attacks in London in 2001 and was so impressed with how the Brits handled the problem

PS: I think I know the jist of what you said. LOL I'm half Norske and half Svenska. xox

We are waiting over on YT for the Olympics terist threat to be severe here in US. It is ramping up everywhere it seems. God Bless the UK! And all of us. Hang In.
    If Marc could still smile big, so can I.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast