1223 users online (214 members and 1009 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    287

    Help Change Laws so Kids like Jr. can have a chance at a decent life!

    Please people in every state that read and comment on these forums. Don't forget to vote at election times. You can help change laws in your states to protect kids like Junior, by making your voices heard. Junior Cummings has the right to a decent life just as other children who come from destructive environments do. Let your politicians know you want the laws changed in favor of childrens rights, not criminal rights.
    Donate to The Sea Shepherds Conservation Society to Save the Whales from Japanese Whaling killers.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,352
    What is your point? Not trying to be snarky, but I don't understand how you want the laws to change specifically.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    287
    My point is that when one biological parent is jailed for selling drugs, how is it in the best interest of the child to place that child with the other biological parent when that parent has a history of drug use.

    When the courts, in following the existing laws, award custody to a biological parent irregardless of the detrimental effects the lifestyle of that parent can and most probably will have on the child, then it is the responsibility, nay the duty of the people to take what actions they deem necessary to spur the politicians to amend those laws.

    Case in question : Cummings Jr.
    Last edited by abbra; 01-23-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    Donate to The Sea Shepherds Conservation Society to Save the Whales from Japanese Whaling killers.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,622
    If a proven history of drug use exists DCF usually recommends to the Judge that the parent undergo random drug testing and often requires the parent to work a drug program for specified term in effect monitoring the parent to be sure they are not using. In most cases the terms are usually for a period of one year. I think the idea is to keep families intact if at all possible and not send the children to foster care at the expense of the state and taxpayers. Keeping families together is deemed to be the best option when possible.
    Last edited by dsntslp; 01-23-2010 at 09:21 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by dsntslp View Post
    If a proven history of drug use exists DCF usually recommends to the Judge that the parent undergo random drug testing and often requires the parent to work a drug program for specified term in effect monitoring the parent to be sure they are not using. In most cases the terms are usually for a period of one year. I think the idea is to keep families intact if at all possible and not send the children to foster care at the expense of the state and taxpayers. Keeping families together is deemed to be the best option when possible.
    Thanks for bringing this up dsn. Nothing has changed at DCF since I was a " trainee" many many years ago. Fortunately I changed majors and decided to follow another path although I still ended up helping DCF recipients who wanted to advance themselves and get an education, to get off the dole.
    As for Foster Care or Keeping Families together- Its a toss up. The judges find their hands are tied in certain cases since Foster Care has a tarnished reputation these days. They have to choose the lesser of two evils and follow the law.
    Depending on placement the foster child can blossom and grow into a respectable productive adult or become a disfunctional problem child that spills over into adulthood.

    I really hope that Jr. Cummings mother has proven herself worthy to care for her son. A child needs their mother.
    Donate to The Sea Shepherds Conservation Society to Save the Whales from Japanese Whaling killers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,086
    Quote Originally Posted by abbra View Post
    Thanks for bringing this up dsn. Nothing has changed at DCF since I was a " trainee" many many years ago. Fortunately I changed majors and decided to follow another path although I still ended up helping DCF recipients who wanted to advance themselves and get an education, to get off the dole.
    As for Foster Care or Keeping Families together- Its a toss up. The judges find their hands are tied in certain cases since Foster Care has a tarnished reputation these days. They have to choose the lesser of two evils and follow the law.
    Depending on placement the foster child can blossom and grow into a respectable productive adult or become a disfunctional problem child that spills over into adulthood.

    I really hope that Jr. Cummings mother has proven herself worthy to care for her son. A child needs their mother.
    Huh?

    In this country, last time I checked, a mother doesn't have to prove herself worthy of raising her own child-- rather, the state must prove her unworthy.

    I wouldn't change a thing!!! MO

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern Adirondack Mountains
    Posts
    4,335
    Quote Originally Posted by abbra View Post
    My point is that when one biological parent is jailed for selling drugs, how is it in the best interest of the child to place that child with the other biological parent when that parent has a history of drug use.

    When the courts, in following the existing laws, award custody to a biological parent irregardless of the detrimental effects the lifestyle of that parent can and most probably will have on the child, then it is the responsibility, nay the duty of the people to take what actions they deem necessary to spur the politicians to amend those laws.

    Case in question : Cummings Jr.
    As far as I'm concerned, as long as what I bolded IS history and remains history, it's the best placement of the child. So, in response to your words, no, I wouldn't change anything.
    My posts are my opinion only.....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, Penninsula
    Posts
    17,541
    Quote Originally Posted by abbra View Post
    My point is that when one biological parent is jailed for selling drugs, how is it in the best interest of the child to place that child with the other biological parent when that parent has a history of drug use.
    Crystal was not selling or dealing drugs or been arrested or put in jail for doing so. What exactly is Crystal's history of drug use? Has she been arrested for EVERY kind of illegal drug possible like others in this case? In fact has she ever been arrested for illegal drug use?

    And if she were, why can't she have custody? The judge saw no harm in a 22 yr old man who had been arrested for every illegal drug known. Why all this concern about jr NOW? Why not before? I was giving out information on the inproper handling of the custody issue from day one. No outrage then about who had jr, now people want DCF to monitor closely.

    I suggest we drop the issue of jr and get on with the perps in this case. Crystal is not a perp and neither is jr. Now that most of us know he is in better hands, I suggest we stop kicking this around or it will destroy the flow and the sleuthing.
    Last edited by Whisperer; 01-24-2010 at 01:32 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    It doesn't exactly have anything to do with Haleigh's parents since the child protection agency never took their kids away, but I wish that laws would change so that any parent who has their kids taken away due to lifestyles related to drugs (and have positive drugs tests) would go to prison for awhile. I think it should be a crime.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    5,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I suggest we drop the issue of jr and get on with the perps in this case. Crystal is not a perp and neither is jr. Now that most of us know he is in better hands, I suggest we stop kicking this around or it will destroy the flow and the sleuthing.
    Well said and I couldn't agree more!!!
    About the time we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends. Herbert Hoover


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    31,655
    Quote Originally Posted by abbra View Post
    Please people in every state that read and comment on these forums. Don't forget to vote at election times. You can help change laws in your states to protect kids like Junior, by making your voices heard. Junior Cummings has the right to a decent life just as other children who come from destructive environments do. Let your politicians know you want the laws changed in favor of childrens rights, not criminal rights.
    What changes do you propose, Abbra?
    PODCAST ROW

    WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK
    __________________________________
    Always give generously of yourself to support your beliefs. And when you're knocked down, give more.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I am here!
    Posts
    1,807
    IMO, I think it should be a law that IF you have a felony drug conviction and you continue to have these types of charges that you in no way can obtain sole, or even shared parental custody of your children... I think that it should be mandatory for judges to review BOTH parents criminal records PRIOR to the final judgement in a custody case.

    (i can say that not all judges in FL are like this one, I am a FL resident, and was able to provide my sons fathers rap sheet to the judge in order to obtain sole custody of my child, I grew up and he didn't want to, so i had to do what was best for my child, and that was to remove him and myself from the situation... then again, i did provide the info to the judge, i did my homework, maybe that is where the difference is, IDK)
    Last edited by lil momma; 01-24-2010 at 10:30 AM.
    If it doesn't make sense, it is a LIE ........Judge Judy

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,741
    Both parent's in this case have DRUG issues....as with many other families. If laws were changed....what would the purpose be to allow a child to stay with parent who does drugs less?

    Changing LAWS would not benefit children....

    Changing PARENT's priorities with how they choose to live their lives is what needs to be changed....some children NEVER have a chance in life due to their parents actions.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,427
    Anyone that wants to drive needs to study the laws of the road and take a road test in order to get a driver's license.

    Perhaps parents need to take "parenting classes" in order to learn how to care for children and understand the consequences if they don't care for their children.

    IMO, it is important for family, friends, neighbors to be vigilant regarding the children in their area and report a child that may look abused or neglected.

    I can't see inside my neighbor's homes in order to know if the children are living in a clean environment, or have food in the refrigerator, or if a parent is drinking or taking drugs. For all I know, their homes maybe perfect inside while the parents are getting wasted.

    If I hear children screaming uncontrollably then I dial 911 and let the police check on the household.

    I wonder how many parents out there have a few beers, glasses of wine, or a cocktail or two and get a little "tipsy" in front of their children each and every night.

    Parents who drink in front of their children and have a "history" of drinking every night but yet are not addicted to alcohol enough to be classified as an "alcoholic", should they have their children taken away?

    There are parents out there who do not drink or take drugs and abuse and neglect their children behind closed doors. How do we save those children if we don't hear the abuse?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,622
    Parenting classes are very often ordered by the Court when DCF is involved. Also, even when DCF is not involved it has become almost routine for judges to order parenting classes for both parents when there is a custody dispute. IMO, the focus should be on retaining the family unity as a whole and not splitting the family up. Harsher penalties is not always the answer. These young parents that have children at such a young age and are found to be using drugs can very often be rehabilitated (thinking of Crystal here). They deserve every chance to get it together and provide for their own children to keep the family together. Crystal has not been arrested for drugs to my knowledge. She freely admitted to the Judge she had used drugs in the past. Having not been arrested, exactly how would changing any laws and penalties for breaking them affect her situation with Jr.? We are innocent until proven guilty in a Court of law in this great country.
    Last edited by dsntslp; 01-24-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 07:02 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 04:56 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 12:51 PM