Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: NY - Patrick Alford, 7-year-old "runaway", Brooklyn, 22 Jan 2010 - #1

Hybrid View

Exclamation NY - Patrick Alford, 7-year-old "runaway", Brooklyn, 22 Jan 2010 - #1

Brooklyn foster child Patrick Alford, 7, threatens to run away, then disappears

A 7-year-old Brooklyn foster child who threatened to run away to his biological mother disappeared Friday night when he left to take out the trash, police and family said.

Patrick Alford walked through the lobby of his Spring Creek Development home in East New York at about 9 p.m. with his foster mother to take a bag of garbage to a trash compactor, cops and family said.

[snip]

The young boy had just moved in with his foster family three weeks ago, and has attempted to flee to find his mother before, the family said.

More: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...isappears.html
    Last edited by JBean; 02-11-2010 at 02:39 AM.
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW
    STILL DOING IT FOR DYLAN GROENE. REST IN PEACE.

HELP FIND MISSING 7-YEAR-OLD PATRICK ALFORD.

FOOTY/SOCCER FAN? Join us here.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

ACS, NYPD Seek Missing Brooklyn Boy

The Adminstration for Children's Services worked with police Saturday to try to locate a missing Brooklyn child.

Patrick Alford, aged seven, was last seen Friday evening leaving the lobby of the Spring Creek Development in the Starrett City section of Brooklyn, where he lives with a foster family.

Alford's biological family says the boy was placed there by ACS officials when he was taken away from his mother. They also say a caseworker informed them that the boy was missing from his foster home.

ACS officials would not go into detail on Saturday about how the boy disappeared or why the child was removed from his original home.

More: http://www.ny1.com/9-staten-island-n...-brooklyn-boy/
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Already missing for over 24 hours. Come home soon, Patrick.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Patrick's NCMEC poster: http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US

Classified as Endangered Missing, NOT Endangered Runaway. GOOD!

"Patrick was last seen on January 22, 2010 and was last known to be in or near Brooklyn, NY. He was last seen wearing a red t-shirt, blue jeans, blue and black Jordan sneakers. Patrick has a scar on his left eyelid."

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Hoping Patrick is warm and safe somewhere tonight.....

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Useful Post:

oh dear -- the streets are not safe for 7 y/o's....I hope they find him safe any minute now.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho4Groenes View Post
    Already missing for over 24 hours. Come home soon, Patrick.

I look at his sparkling eyes and big smile and I want to wrap my arms around him to protect him from all his fears,hurt, confusion. May Patrick be safe and found soon.

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Useful Post:

ACS, NYPD Seek Missing Brooklyn Boy

The Adminstration for Children's Services worked with police Saturday to try to locate a missing Brooklyn child.

Patrick Alford, aged seven, was last seen Friday evening leaving the lobby of the Spring Creek Development in the Starrett City section of Brooklyn, where he lives with a foster family.

Alford's biological family says the boy was placed there by ACS officials when he was taken away from his mother. They also say a caseworker informed them that the boy was missing from his foster home.

ACS officials would not go into detail on Saturday about how the boy disappeared or why the child was removed from his original home.

More: http://www.ny1.com/9-staten-island-n...-brooklyn-boy/
    I'd like to know why he was taken.
    http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loca...rd-Missing-Boy
    According to this article.... He has a thin build and is in good physical and mental health.
    Doesn't seem to fit the description of an abused child to me.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CHICANA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CHICANA View Post
    I'd like to know why he was taken.
    According to this article.... He has a thin build and is in good physical and mental health.
    Doesn't seem to fit the description of an abused child to me.
    It's really hard to tell from looks alone. My friends have one current and one former foster child. The current child came to them as a chubby, giggly baby... and she had cocaine in her system and had been left in the care of her under-3 sister. The former foster child was a cute, healthy 4 year old boy... his mom left him in the care of a man who murdered his baby brother (actually a story that was discussed on this site at one time). You just never know what these kids have been through. And through it all, they sometimes still have quite an allegiance to their parents.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to detektiv For This Useful Post:

What worries me most is that we didn't hear anything about this yesterday. The media didn't have anything out about it until nearly 24-hours later. This is a SEVEN YEAR OLD!

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Angry

What worries me most is that we didn't hear anything about this yesterday. The media didn't have anything out about it until nearly 24-hours later. This is a SEVEN YEAR OLD!
    Yes, this is very disturbing in the least.
    And Patrick has only been with that foster family for 3 weeks (if I read correctly)--not avery long time to adjust for a little one.
    He sounds like he really misses/wants to see/ be with his mommy--very natural, imo.
    The poor little guy must be soupset and his whole world has been turned around.
    Heartbreaking--and I fear for his safety.
    Way too long a time to get info out in the media!!!

Hoping, hoping, hoping for some good news soon that Patrick has been found safe.

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by petra View Post
    Yes, this is very disturbing in the least.
    And Patrick has only been with that foster family for 3 weeks (if I read correctly)--not avery long time to adjust for a little one.
    He sounds like he really misses/wants to see/ be with his mommy--very natural, imo.
    The poor little guy must be soupset and his whole world has been turned around.
    Heartbreaking--and I fear for his safety.
    Way too long a time to get info out in the media!!!

Hoping, hoping, hoping for some good news soon that Patrick has been found safe.
    Maybe the state didn't want it announced that he disappeared on their watch ?
    I was surprised to learn from the owner of a group home that 4 foster kids committed suicide last year in my state alone. There was NO news coverage.

Am I understanding correctly that this little boy was put in foster care 2 weeks ago ?

I confess that the following is my own biased opinion.
    They're the government, they don't like these things out in the open.
    The public might start questioning what they're doing with our tax $$.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CHICANA For This Useful Post:

Oh, good Lord, protect this child. 7 YO? Prayers.
    If Marc could still smile big, so can I.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PercyVeer For This Useful Post:

oh no poor kid
    hope he's found like now!

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:

7 years old..this is scary.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nurselady For This Useful Post:

Some info about the area where Patrick went missing from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starrett_City,_Brooklyn

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the link.
    This is a good size town!!!!!What a bloody nightmare

153 acres, almost 5,00 apt units in 46 buildings with own security patrol-
    ****************snippet

[edit] Special Police Force

The proper name of the Special Police Force is Spring Creek Towers Department of Public Safety. Starrett City employs armed peace officers to preserve the life and property of the residents of the complex. Officers enforce New York State Laws as well as New York City laws. Starrett City is patrolled by Public Safety Officers 24 hours a day on foot, bikes, or in vehicles. The department also has various specialized units modeled after the New York City Police Department.
    [edit] Demographics

As of the 2000 U.S. Census, there were 14,620 people living in Starett City. The demographics of Starett City were 44.7% African American, 38.0% White, 18.4% Hispanic or Latino and 4.1% Asian. As of 1999, the median family income was $68,525.************snipped
    Last edited by petra; 01-24-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: BBM

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Useful Post:

After reading at ^^^^ link, I wonder -- wouldn't someone on the street see him & wonder why he was out by himself after dark? I mean, someone with good sense & not a perv....I would certainly notice in my neighborhood if a little one was out on the streets...for one thing, not too many kids are out during the day, so one after dark would catch my attention if I was out & about.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
    After reading at ^^^^ link, I wonder -- wouldn't someone on the street see him & wonder why he was out by himself after dark? I mean, someone with good sense & not a perv....I would certainly notice in my neighborhood if a little one was out on the streets...for one thing, not too many kids are out during the day, so one after dark would catch my attention if I was out & about.
    Very true. But we would then have to assume that it was "not a perv" that could have seen him. Over 1,000 RSOs within 5 miles of his apartment. You're right though. You'd think *someone* would notice a 7 year old, in a tshirt, outside after dark in the winter.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Very true. But we would then have to assume that it was "not a perv" that could have seen him. Over 1,000 RSOs within 5 miles of his apartment. You're right though. You'd think *someone* would notice a 7 year old, in a tshirt, outside after dark in the winter.
    How far outside did they go to empty the trash? I'm just curious why he didn't have a jacket on, or maybe they weren't outside the building that long? There's no way he could last all night in the cold.
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

40. The Following User Says Thank You to panthera For This Useful Post:

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post

They have been running his story on the NYC news the last couple nights which is great. It was the 2nd story last night.

Regarding seeing a boy walking alone - this is NYC and there are so many people out all the time, including kids, it would not be strange to see at all. I see kids out by themselves all the time. Because most of us live in apts the sidewalks serve as kids yards. In my neighborhood there are kids riding their bikes, playing 4 square, they have a portable basket-ball goal set up, all on the sidewalk. It just isn't the same as living in a 'normal' city or suburb and seeing a child out alone at night.

The weather over the weekend was better than it had been by getting into the 40's but reaching freezing temps at night. Today it is very rainy and gloomy but it is 54degrees.
    Last edited by gaia227; 01-25-2010 at 12:59 PM.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gaia227 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
    They have been running his story on the NYC news the last couple nights which is great. It was the 2nd story last night.

Regarding seeing a boy walking alone - this is NYC and there are so many people out all the time, including kids, it would not be strange to see at all. I see kids out by themselves all the time. Because most of us live in apts the sidewalks serve as kids yards. In my neighborhood there are kids riding their bikes, playing 4 square, they have a portable basket-ball goal set up, all on the sidewalk. It just isn't the same as living in a 'normal' city or suburb and seeing a child out alone at night.

The weather over the weekend was better than it had been by getting into the 40's but reaching freezing temps at night. Today it is very rainy and gloomy but it is 54degrees.
    I rarely watch the local news. Any interviews with the foster family that might shed some light on this?

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nurselady View Post
    7 years old..this is scary.
    Am I the only one with a hinky meter at RED alert here? The child went outside WITH his foster mother to take the trash out. When she went back in, he wasn't with her Ummmm....... how does that work? You walk to the garbage can and back - together? At what point did he leave her side?

I have walked to the garbage can with my son in a number of different locations and I don't remember ever losing him? I'm not getting this, it makes NO SENSE!

Patrick - prayers for you sweetie. Where ever you are, may the angels protect you and guide you to safety.

Salem
    Last edited by Salem; 01-24-2010 at 02:35 AM. Reason: typo

"The boy lives in the confines of the 75th precinct at 130 Vandalia Avenue in Brooklyn."

According to Family Watchdog, there are about 40 sex offenders within a mile of this address. There are over 1,000 sex offenders within 5 miles.

47. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    Am I the only one with a hinky meter at RED alert here? The child went outside WITH his foster mother to take the trash out. When she went back in, he wasn't with her Ummmm....... how does that work? You walk to the garbage can and back - together? At what point did he leave her side?

I have walked to the garbage can with my son in a number of different locations and I don't remember ever losing him? I'm not getting this, it makes NO SENSE!

Patrick - prayers for you sweetie. Where ever you are, may the angels protect you and guide you to safety.

Salem
    Well put!
    And it seems this area has its own form of LE.
    Lots ofplaces for little Patrickto hide--or worse.
    RED ALERT for sure---he is only 7!!!

49. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast