GUILTY OH - Anferney Fontenet for rape of 26yo autistic woman, Toledo, 2010

wanttohelp

http://thewaronwomen.org
Reaction score
Website
www.thewaronwomen.org
images

TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - Police say a 15-year-old suspect confessed to raping a 26-year-old autistic woman Monday on Royalton near Lyman in west Toledo.....
The teen admitted leaving Start High School early, police say. He told police he was walking home and attacked the woman on the sidewalk around 2:30 p.m. He threatened her with scissors, pushed her to her knees and, when she resisted his commands, the teen says he raped her.

"We asked him what his motivation was, or the reason for it," said Toledo Police Sgt. Sam Harris. "He couldn't provide a legitimate answer. He said he had the scissors with him, not planning the attack. He had them for protection from other people in the neighborhood and at school. He'd seen the girl walking down the street and just decided he was going to rape her."...

link here
Sergeant Harris said the woman was on the way to the West Toledo library branch on Sylvania Avenue about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday when someone came up behind her near Royalton Road and Lyman Avenue and put scissors to her throat.

He then took her pants off and raped her, the sergeant said. Sergeant. Harris said the attack continued while the suspect looked at witnesses as they were driving by......
link here

Lord help me. I'm glad the woman called 911 and stayed on the phone but I can't believe that someone didn't intervene. Remember how the two men in Alaska just saved the high school girl who was being stabbed? She would have surely died without the intervention.

I fully understand that the caller was terrified and I hope she gets some help as her trauma must be terrible. I'm thankful she called but it was 2:30 in the afternoon!! Wasn't there any one around who could have screamed at this guy or jumped him?

I read the article carefully and it says that the woman (26, so much older than the boy), has bipolar disorder and Asperger's. Most people with Asperger's have challenges with social interactions. That leads me to believe that something strange was going on for this boy. I've parented and known many kids with Asperger's and never known one of them to be provocative in any way (not that that would excuse an assault anyway). They usually shrink away from contact, in fact. I think we'll learn that this boy is very challenged in some way too. He needs to be taken off the streets of Toledo, that's for sure. What did he think was going to happen as he raped a woman on the sidewalk? I forgot. He didn't think.

FWIW, one of the saddest things about rape and the disabled and/or mentally ill is that 1) it happens at a much higher rate than most imagine and 2) there's very little therapy geared for those with communication and/or cognitive deficits. It's a sad situation. It's almost like no one can get into the victim's head to help process the pain and trauma.

My thoughts are with this young woman. I hope she has a loving support system.

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=11858451

An editorial from WTOL:

I'm shocked and saddened no one stopped

"In the news this week is the disturbing story of a woman being raped in broad daylight, and not one person stopped to help her.

Some people who drove by called 911. But no one tried to pull the suspected rapist off of the woman. What is going on out there?..............."

Article published December 14, 2010

Anferney Fontenet, who was 15 at the time he sexually assaulted a woman on a West Toledo sidewalk, was sentenced in Lucas County Common Pleas Court Tuesday to 18 years in prison.

Judge Stacy Cook sentenced the teenager to 10 years in prison for rape and 8 years for aggravated robbery, to run consecutively. Fontenet, now 16, pleaded no contest to the two charges on Nov. 29.

In a soft voice, Fontenet also apologized in court for his actions.

Judge Cook noted the lack of emotion in the teenager's apology. She said that many people suffer from mental health issues, but that “depression is not an excuse for rape.”

more here

http://toledoblade.com/article/20101214/NEWS02/101219662

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74