1114 users online (191 members and 923 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Mother Trying To Kill Spider Scalds Baby

http://www.nbc-2.com/global/story.asp?s=11872322

WESLEY CHAPEL: An infant in Pasco County was scalded because his mother reportedly tried to spray a spider off him with hot water.

Fire officials say the 5-month-old boy was brought to a station Tuesday evening with second-degree burns.

The sheriff's office reports that the 27-year-old mother saw a spider in the tub as she prepared to give her baby a bath. When she tried to wash it down the drain, it jumped on her son.

She then grabbed the baby and put him under the running water to get the spider off............................................... ..........................

LE says this was an accident......I'm not so generous but then again I'm cynical.
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

Quote Originally Posted by VespaElf View Post
    http://www.nbc-2.com/global/story.asp?s=11872322

WESLEY CHAPEL: An infant in Pasco County was scalded because his mother reportedly tried to spray a spider off him with hot water.

Fire officials say the 5-month-old boy was brought to a station Tuesday evening with second-degree burns.

The sheriff's office reports that the 27-year-old mother saw a spider in the tub as she prepared to give her baby a bath. When she tried to wash it down the drain, it jumped on her son.

She then grabbed the baby and put him under the running water to get the spider off............................................... ..........................

LE says this was an accident......I'm not so generous but then again I'm cynical.
    The baby has second degree burns,how hot was that babys' bath going to be?

ETA: Okay,I didn't read the article before I responded. So they didn't realize the water heater was on so high. I'm sure this is one of those unfortunate accidents,but with second degree burns,wouldn't the water have been steamy to give the mom a clue that it was too hot?
    Last edited by capps; 01-24-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Guess I am too cynical also because I am not buying the Mom's story for a moment! Poor little guy! Hope he gets better soon.
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    this is a most interesting *story*..

TMI alert:

I must admit that when we were stationed in Georgia they have these HUGE ROACHES that FLY!!! They call them "water bugs".... (water bugs my a$$ LOL) To make a long story short I used to take my vavoom hair spray and a lighter and torch them because I had an unfortunate incident in the bathroom once when one flew at me while I was 'otherwise occupied' and couldn't get to anything to kill it except the hairspray..... which froze him up pretty good but not fast enough as he landed on my leg! ewwww! (note: I later added the lighter to the hairspray as it was quicker LOL)

further note: I would not do this if a 'water bug' landed on my child lol...

Hopefuly this mom's story holds water... seems as it could because creepy crawly things can drive people to quick measures...
    Last edited by nursebeeme; 01-24-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: tmi alert

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post

TMI alert:

I must admit that when we were stationed in Georgia they have these HUGE ROACHES that FLY!!! They call them "water bugs".... (water bugs my a$$ LOL) To make a long story short I used to take my vavoom hair spray and a lighter and torch them because I had an unfortunate incident in the bathroom once when one flew at me while I was 'otherwise occupied' and couldn't get to anything to kill it except the hairspray..... which froze him up pretty good but not fast enough as he landed on my leg! ewwww! (note: I later added the lighter to the hairspray as it was quicker LOL)

Hopefuly this mom's story holds water... seems as it could because creepy crawly things can drive people to quick measures...
    I think you may be right nursebeeme,a "knee jerk" reaction. Unfortunate for the little guy though.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post

TMI alert:

Actually I can believe the mother had that poor of judgement. My grandmother died indirectly of a similar type of thing. She poured hot water on the floor of her nursing home to kill the cockroaches she saw. Unfortunately, she slipped and fell, broke her leg, and contracted pneumonia, which she died from...
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

I am usually skeptical in stories like these, but I do think the mom here could be telling the truth.
    i am terrified of spiders, and the wave of panic and adrenaline that hits me when i see one can cause me to act irrationally!
    i suppose this is what could have happened here. at any rate, i do think it needs to be investigated. poor baby.

If she grabbed the hot tap, I can see it completely. This is why people are cautioned to keep the water heater at or below a certain temperature to prevent accidental scalds. Spiders have made ME panic and do impulsive things, thankfully nothing that hurt someone else yet

I am not buy here story either it could happen but did it happen that way. She was trying to wash the spider down the drain I assuming the spider was in bath tub it jump out of the tub past her and land on the baby. Then she picks the baby up and stuck it under the running faucet and the baby got second degree burns. Also nobody knew the water was that hot whatever. Had the just got the water heater turned on and that was the first time they used it Also how did she keep the water from burning her hands.
    Last edited by sweetheart29; 01-25-2010 at 02:48 PM.

I'm not sure. It could be a great cover story for an abusive mother, or it could be true.

I will say that we had a new water heater installed last week and I am still burning my hands (not 2nd degree, but painful) every time I turn on the water b/c our old one wasn't working right for, apparently, all the years we've lived here. We used to have to put it all the way on hot to take a hot shower, and now you will burn yourself at that level. It is not set too hot, just finally working properly!

Also, I remember hearing funny stories from an insurance adjuster about reasons people claim for their car accidents. He said you wouldn't believe how many involved bees or other pests inside the car!

I'd want there to be a good investigation, but I can't say it's impossible. Poor baby!

I'm not sure what to think about this.
    I have known people who would get so freaked out about seeing a spider I do understand someone not thinking 100% clearly.
    Did she get medical attention for the baby right away? If she did, that makes me think her story could be legit. If she was being abusive to the baby, IMO she would have tried to treat at home for a while before bringing anybodys attention to it.
    Why not grab a towel or something and try to get the spider off that way?
    Hopefully this was a bad reaction to seeing a spider and the baby will heal and all will be well from now on. Poor baby will now probably be terrified when it's bath time

VB
    Boyfriends and girlfriends are not Babysitters.
    Just because you want to be with somebody does not mean they will take care of your children.