801 users online (113 members and 688 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

FL - Zephyrhills, Human remains in woods, Jan'10 - Don Cavender

May I please ask if any one knows more on these remains found and please keep us updated on this.

A hunter this afternoon stumbled on what could be human remains in a wooded area in Zephyrhills, the Pasco County Sheriff's Office said.

The remains were discovered at roughly 4:30 p.m. near County Road 54 and Chancy Road.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jan...yrhills-woods/
    Last edited by Salem; 08-26-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: put link in
    ALL EVIL NEEDS TO SUCCEED IS FOR GOOD PEOPLE TO DO NOTHING!!!!

For those like me who are unfamiliar with the name of this city, it is North and East of Tampa, FL (according to Google). Waiting to hear gender, condition of body if it's human, etc.

ETA: the link provided didn't work for me, so here's another:

Last edited by DeepThinker; 01-24-2010 at 07:28 PM.
    This is all my opinion, which is subject to change with more information, if the wind changes direction, or if I wake up in a different mood...

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jan...yrhills-woods/

okay, something happened...here's the link
    This is all my opinion, which is subject to change with more information, if the wind changes direction, or if I wake up in a different mood...

Just in case, I'm the hunter who found the remains. I don't have a lot of information, but do have some pictures. The Pasco Sherrif Department took the investigation.
    Last edited by Mr. Lolo; 01-25-2010 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lolo View Post
    Just in case, I'm the hunter who found the remains. I don't have a lot of information, but do have some pictures. The Pasco Sherrif Department took the investigation.
    Hi.It is nice meeting you.I'm sorry you went through this.May I please ask you.Did the remains look like an adults or child or could you tell male or female was there any clothing there or anything found with them.Did they look like they had been there for awhile?
    Last edited by Ms Suzanne; 01-25-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: add

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Mr. Lolo - come back and let us know if it was adult or child. I'm close to CR 54. Will let you all know if I hear anything locally.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Old remains, probably more than 3 years. No clothing or anything, but I didn't want to diisturb the area.

I posted something here: www.floridafishandhunt.com Go to forums and search thread for Upper Hillsborough posted by Mr. Lolo. Lots of hunter talk but there are some pics I took with my cell phone.

let me know if unable to find/see pics. and I can email or post here.

Old remains, probably more than 3 years. No clothing or anything, but I didn't want to diisturb the area.

I posted something here: www.floridafishandhunt.com Go to forums and search thread for Upper Hillsborough posted by Mr. Lolo. Lots of hunter talk but there are some pics I took with my cell phone.

Thanks for posting the pics. Sure is hard to tell if that's an adult or teen (head seems small to me). Must have been difficult to see - I know it would be for me. In any case, the remains do look quite old.

Best,

Mel

I'm sorry.I can't find them.Can you please give me an direct link to them.

Looked like a rather large femur, just a guess...adult male

scroll down for pics:
    http://www.floridafishandhunt.com/fi...r+Hillsborough
    Last edited by Dave AHFB; 01-25-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave AHFB View Post
    Looked like a rather large femur, just a guess...adult male

scroll down for pics:
    http://www.floridafishandhunt.com/fi...r+Hillsborough
    Thank you.It does look like it's been there for awhile.The remains do not look small to me.
    Last edited by Ms Suzanne; 01-25-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add

I just googled "male and female skull differences" to see if it could be easily determined whether this skull is male or female. Here are a couple of articles that shed light on the subject:

http://www.landofskulls.com/site/1534698/page/893371
    http://www.secondtype.com/skeleton.htm

First of all, they say that determining gender of a skull is quite difficult because there is some overlap in characteristics from male to female.

Having said that, what I found that might be helpful is that a female has a sharper supraorbital margin (i.e., the upper ridge of the eye socket). Looking at this skull, it appears that the supraorbital margin is quite sharp, which would suggest to me (in my very un-expert opinion) that the skull is female.

skull1.jpg

Male and Female Cranium Differences

Most important skull differences between men and women are indicated by the letter value on the figure above and described below:

A) The mans cranial mass is more blocky and massive compared to the females which is rounder and tapers at the top.
    B) Temporal Ridge - runs along the outer side of the upper skull creating the square shaped of the upper head. More prominent in men than women.
    C) A woman's supraorbital margin (the ridge above the eyes) is sharper, while the males is rather round and dull.
    D) The Zygomatic bone (the cheekbone that lies under the lower eye ridge) is more pronounced on the male skull.
    E) The Mandible (lower jaw) bone of a woman is rounded, while the male's is squared.
    F) Frontal bone – forehead structure terminates at the brow. The male forehead is lower and more slopping.
    G) Men have a deeper cranial mass.
    H) The supercilary arch is large and pronounced in the man.
    I) A males gonion (most posterior inferior point on angle of mandible) is more flared out and sharply angled.
    J) The teeth of men tend to be larger.

zephyrhills skull 01.jpgzephyrhills skull zoom.JPG
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 01-25-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Yeah, those bones are bleached and weathered -- I don't know how fast things age in that part of the country, but it's been quite a while.

I agree, probably a woman. The femur is pretty big, but it's also got a rather delicate head. Not definitive, I know, but given very little to speculate on...

Just checking in for updates. I agree this is a female in my very UN-expert opinion.

I hope they are able to identify these bones. Someone is missing a family member and needs answers.
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast