Identified! FL - Zephyrhills, Human remains in woods, Jan'10 - Don Cavender

Ms Suzanne

Reaction score
Just in case, I'm the hunter who found the remains. I don't have a lot of information, but do have some pictures. The Pasco Sherrif Department took the investigation.

Just in case, I'm the hunter who found the remains. I don't have a lot of information, but do have some pictures. The Pasco Sherrif Department took the investigation.
Hi.It is nice meeting you.I'm sorry you went through this.May I please ask you.Did the remains look like an adults or child or could you tell male or female was there any clothing there or anything found with them.Did they look like they had been there for awhile?

Mr. Lolo - come back and let us know if it was adult or child. I'm close to CR 54. Will let you all know if I hear anything locally.

Old remains, probably more than 3 years. No clothing or anything, but I didn't want to diisturb the area.

I posted something here: www.floridafishandhunt.com Go to forums and search thread for Upper Hillsborough posted by Mr. Lolo. Lots of hunter talk but there are some pics I took with my cell phone.

let me know if unable to find/see pics. and I can email or post here.

Old remains, probably more than 3 years. No clothing or anything, but I didn't want to diisturb the area.

I posted something here: www.floridafishandhunt.com Go to forums and search thread for Upper Hillsborough posted by Mr. Lolo. Lots of hunter talk but there are some pics I took with my cell phone.

Thanks for posting the pics. Sure is hard to tell if that's an adult or teen (head seems small to me). Must have been difficult to see - I know it would be for me. In any case, the remains do look quite old.

Best,

Mel

I'm sorry.I can't find them.Can you please give me an direct link to them.

I just googled "male and female skull differences" to see if it could be easily determined whether this skull is male or female. Here are a couple of articles that shed light on the subject:

http://www.landofskulls.com/site/1534698/page/893371
http://www.secondtype.com/skeleton.htm

First of all, they say that determining gender of a skull is quite difficult because there is some overlap in characteristics from male to female.

Having said that, what I found that might be helpful is that a female has a sharper supraorbital margin (i.e., the upper ridge of the eye socket). Looking at this skull, it appears that the supraorbital margin is quite sharp, which would suggest to me (in my very un-expert opinion) that the skull is female.

skull1.jpg

Male and Female Cranium Differences

Most important skull differences between men and women are indicated by the letter value on the figure above and described below:

A) The mans cranial mass is more blocky and massive compared to the females which is rounder and tapers at the top.
B) Temporal Ridge - runs along the outer side of the upper skull creating the square shaped of the upper head. More prominent in men than women.
C) A woman's supraorbital margin (the ridge above the eyes) is sharper, while the males is rather round and dull.
D) The Zygomatic bone (the cheekbone that lies under the lower eye ridge) is more pronounced on the male skull.
E) The Mandible (lower jaw) bone of a woman is rounded, while the male's is squared.
F) Frontal bone – forehead structure terminates at the brow. The male forehead is lower and more slopping.
G) Men have a deeper cranial mass.
H) The supercilary arch is large and pronounced in the man.
I) A males gonion (most posterior inferior point on angle of mandible) is more flared out and sharply angled.
J) The teeth of men tend to be larger.

zephyrhills skull 01.jpgzephyrhills skull zoom.JPG

Yeah, those bones are bleached and weathered -- I don't know how fast things age in that part of the country, but it's been quite a while.

I agree, probably a woman. The femur is pretty big, but it's also got a rather delicate head. Not definitive, I know, but given very little to speculate on...

Just checking in for updates. I agree this is a female in my very UN-expert opinion.

I hope they are able to identify these bones. Someone is missing a family member and needs answers.

Just checking in for updates. I agree this is a female in my very UN-expert opinion.

I hope they are able to identify these bones. Someone is missing a family member and needs answers.

Hi WM,

As soon as I heard about this I thought of Tracy O and Jennifer K. They have been missing for a long time now. Jennifer went missing 4 years ago Jan 24, the day before my birthday. Tracy went missing May 27th (527) my personal number. So I always remember these two woman.

I hope the DNA comes back soon.
Someone can have a proper burial and loved ones can have closure.
Justice be served!!!!

Hi WM,

As soon as I heard about this I thought of Tracy O and Jennifer K. They have been missing for a long time now. Jennifer went missing 4 years ago Jan 24, the day before my birthday. Tracy went missing May 27th (527) my personal number. So I always remember these two woman.

This is what I was wondering Bern, but wasn't sure of the proximity between where the bones were found and where these women went missing. Not that I 'wish' for these remains to belong to either of these women (or anyone) but Mr Lolo's description that they are 3 years or older makes me wonder. You have a good heart for remembering these women. Their families must be weary from the nightmare of lack of answers.

Hopefully these remains can be identified and someone's family can receive closure.

wm

I was hoping also to hear by now if they made any indication if the human remains were that of a male or female, age, how long they estimated the remains were in the woods etc... I guess I am very impatient!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back