1069 users online (222 members and 847 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

SC - Michael, 3, & Alexander Smith, 14 mos, drowned in lake, Union, 25 Oct 1994

"Solicitor Kevin Brackett said Smith claims her attorney failed to adequately represent her when she was on trial 15 years ago. In a handwritten petition filed in Union County, Smith also claimed the trial was "unfair."

http://www.wyff4.com/news/22327344/detail.html

Sad from the past~

Hello WS

That was fifteen years ago? Wow. She was one of the very first "mother kills child" cases that I was aware of in my life. I admit I only know what I saw in the media(for what that's worth) and I know nothing more of this case.

...jmo...
    John 14:6

Wait a second! This woman confessed to letting her sons - strapped in their car seats - roll with her car down a lake ramp and drown and she wants a new trial?! Give me a break! She should be thankful she only got life in prison and not the death penalty.

Her handwritten application...

http://www.carolinascw.com/theribbit...r_a_new_trial/

Amazing. She believes she's being unlawfully incarcerated due to:
    Ineffective counsel
    Miranda (spelled Amanda in the document) Rights violation
    Jury not being instructed on Battered Womens' Syndrome

Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

Yep, 15 years. I was pregnant with my oldest child when that happened.

Ironically, I was also reading Small Sacrifices by Ann Rule at the time, and immediately knew she did it. Back then I wasn't so cynical or suspicious, so it was out of character for me to even suggest it.

I wonder what legal options there would have been for a jury in 1994. I can't imagine a jury finding her "not guilty" no matter what mitigating circumstances. And a smart prosecutor with a confession in his pocket (and such a high profile case!) would not add lesser included charges.

Could the judge have taken her excuses into consideration or was there a mandatory sentence?

My point is, I wonder if it would have mattered at all.

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    Yep, 15 years. I was pregnant with my oldest child when that happened.

Ironically, I was also reading Small Sacrifices by Ann Rule at the time, and immediately knew she did it. Back then I wasn't so cynical or suspicious, so it was out of character for me to even suggest it.

I wonder what legal options there would have been for a jury in 1994. I can't imagine a jury finding her "not guilty" no matter what mitigating circumstances. And a smart prosecutor with a confession in his pocket (and such a high profile case!) would not add lesser included charges.

Could the judge have taken her excuses into consideration or was there a mandatory sentence?

My point is, I wonder if it would have mattered at all.
    She was spared the DP and given a life sentence with eligibility for parole in 2024. She's already been given enough consideration, imo.
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

Jusst so angry about this. Original thought deleted
    Last edited by badhorsie; 01-24-2010 at 08:45 PM.

This case really hit close to home for me....I went to school with the boys' cousin. It was a very sad time for everyone around.

Susan Smith is a nutcase. She's exactly where she belongs.

mikeysmommom is offline "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty...."
    I knew she was guilty as sin first time I saw her on tv. My daughter was just talking about her because that was the first time I ever did not give a parent the benefit of doubt.She is pure evil and should have been given the death penalty.IMO she lost her rights when she killed those 2 beautiful boys. And for what because the man she wanted did not want a ready made family.
    I Love You MOM 6/16/32 - 5/30/09

Justice for Travis 5/8/13

Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to Life - Sentenced 6/17/11

Justice Denied for Caylee Marie Anthony
    July 5,2011

Quote Originally Posted by Indianagirl View Post
    "Solicitor Kevin Brackett said Smith claims her attorney failed to adequately represent her when she was on trial 15 years ago. In a handwritten petition filed in Union County, Smith also claimed the trial was "unfair."

OMG, she is outrageous to even ask. Just pitiful. As if a woman who did this to her children can expect a new trial makes me ill to even think about it.

What nerve.

I remember this like it was yesterday.

Let her suffer in prison where she so belongs.

Gozgals

EmMomma is offline Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    What a disgusting, delusional, waste of air she is.
    "Lost is not alone..." T. Miller, Founder TES (and MY HERO!!!)

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will." -

Edward Everett Hale

i was fairly young when this crime happened. it was the first time i had heard of a mother killing her own child. i was absolutely dumbfounded by the concept!

i hope this monster stays where she belongs. those sweet little boys never had a chance to grow and enjoy life. all because mommy decided her new love interest was more important

essies is offline "We're all just walking each other home." Ram Dass
    "UNFAIR"!!!! NO SUSAN - WHAT YOU DID TO MICHAEL AND ALEXANDER WAS UNFAIR!!!
    Go ahead-give her a new trial-and this time attach the DP!
    I'm sick and tired of spending taxpayers money keeping these monsters alive!

"It's time to tell the story of a little girl named Caylee" Linda Drane Burdick
    The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity.

Oh, this is just beyond belief! Susan Smith is a lying murderer of those two beautiful boys. She murdered those boys because she was goofy over a guy that did not want children. He wrote her a letter trying to let her down gently, and what does she do? Murders her sons because she thinks the guy will be with her if she doesn't have children!

Susan Smith had two beautiful little boys and a great husband that she evidently did not want. She is guilty and should spend the rest of her natural life in prison, IMO. She is lucky she was not up for the death penalty.

Didn't the article state that she could be released in 2024? She is lucky to have that, IMO, because she should never get out. She is guilty and should not have the tax dollars spent for an appeal. Those boys had no options and neither should she.

I simply cannot bear her. I say no appeal for you, Susan Smith!
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indianagirl View Post

Give me a friggin' break would ya?

This is your life Susan - grin and bear it! At least you still have a life.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast