1076 users online (232 members and 844 guests)  

Websleuths News

dc area

Unhappy Ethiopian Airlines 737 crashes into Mediterranean

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8478060.stm:

An Ethiopian Airlines passenger plane with 89 people on board has crashed into the Mediterranean Sea shortly after take-off from Beirut airport.

Eyewitnesses say they saw a ball of fire in the sky before Addis Ababa-bound Flight ET409 fell into the sea.

Ethiopian Airlines has an excellent safety record overall. They are one of the few sub-saharan African airlines allowed to fly into the US. This is a sad day.

Some reports I have read suggested survivors have been found in the wreckage. Pray that more survivors are found, and pray for the families of those lost.
    Last edited by blue_the_puppy; 01-25-2010 at 03:01 AM.

EmMomma is offline Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    With all the hubub in India and the UK (re: terror alerts) I can't help but wonder if this was a terror attack.

Prayers for everyone involved...
    "Lost is not alone..." T. Miller, Founder TES (and MY HERO!!!)

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will." -

Edward Everett Hale

essies is offline "We're all just walking each other home." Ram Dass
    Survivors found in Lebanon plane crash, army says - 5th Update
    Local media quoted Lebanese army officials as saying that seven survivors had been rescued. According to other reports, police officers said there had been two survivors. The conflicting reports of survivors did not specify the nationalities involved.
    The Boeing aircraft disappeared off the radar screens shortly after takeoff, the state-run Lebanese National News Agency reported.

Witnesses in the area said they heard a loud noise and then saw a plane on fire plunging into the water

"It's time to tell the story of a little girl named Caylee" Linda Drane Burdick
    The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity.

I don't understand how anyone could have survived?

Don't get me wrong...it's just that according to eyewitness reports, I think it's impossible. Hope I'm wrong!

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

dc area
    Linda, you are right. Updated reports are now saying that no one has been found alive. The early reports on survivors must have been a miscommunication. What a tragedy! Keep those prayers coming for the families of the lost, as well as the search teams and all else involved.