Page 1 of 43 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1075

Thread: South Hadley,MA Phoebe Prince 15 kills self over bullying

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Douglas,MA
    Posts
    442

    Angry South Hadley,MA Phoebe Prince 15 kills self over bullying

    When are people going to learn!! This poor girl was brought to the US for a better life and wound up dead at her own hand from being Bullied. Every time I read or hear a story like this it makes me so .
    I was bullied in school and am so glad we did not have the technology to cyber bully. My biggest problem was that teachers are just as bad. If they don't like the kid they make it ok to pick on or bully the kid.
    I also think parents need to surpervise their kids net use.
    When will it STOP! How many kids have to die.

    http://www.boston.com/news/education...k_at_bullying/

  2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rpipergirl For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    What a shame. This family comes to the country to provide what they believe will be a better life and they lose their daughter.

    We definitely need stricter rules/policies on bullying in schools. I also believe the parents of these bullies should be notified and intervene immediately when they learn of their child's behavior. No warnings.. stop it immediately. Only problem is.. I don't know how we can stop it. Bullying is as old as man himself.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Disguiseduser0308 For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    between here and there...
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by Disguiseduser0308 View Post
    What a shame. This family comes to the country to provide what they believe will be a better life and they lose their daughter.

    We definitely need stricter rules/policies on bullying in schools. I also believe the parents of these bullies should be notified and intervene immediately when they learn of their child's behavior. No warnings.. stop it immediately. Only problem is.. I don't know how we can stop it. Bullying is as old as man himself.
    Unfortunately, even when parents are notified that their child is a bully, nothing is done. It is my belief that a lot of children learn bullying behavior at home. Or, parents will blow it off, thinking it's nothing. MOO
    This is all my opinion, which is subject to change with more information, if the wind changes direction, or if I wake up in a different mood...

  6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeepThinker For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a place called Vertigo
    Posts
    17,679
    How very sad. Bullying has been around for so long and it seems it will continue. True, if the teachers don't like a child, some will take part in this behavior and let the bullying go one. I feel sorry for any child who has to endure this type of abuse daily. I know some men believe that if the child stands up to it, (typically a male child) the situation will be resolved. I believe a female child has no recourse if this type of problem exists. I feel so bad when we lose a child for a reason such as bullying.

    I think many parents just shake their heads and feel it is not a big problem at all but it is. It is so hurtful and we have seen it lead to the death of other young people and children. It has to stop. Schools have to interact more to make sure this does not take place, as do the parents.

    She appears to be such a lovely, pretty young girl too. So sad.
    May she R.I.P.

    Gozgals

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gozgals For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,169
    Rest in peace Phoebe. Prayers with your family.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boyz_Mum For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The United States of America
    Posts
    219
    God, I hate to hear stories like this. I know that there are bullies out there, and that sometimes very little can be done to solve these problems. It is so hard in the teenage years to see beyond your present circumstances though. It is hard to imagine that usually when you grow up to be an adult, most people could care less about the superficial things that mattered in middle or high school. I wish that schools could try to solve problems like bullying with support groups for kids....or at least teach a sociology class that focuses on cultural differences in world societies or cultural awareness in your own local area. Don't some businesses even have classes on this to help adults cope with diversity...and to build team morale?
    Last edited by MargotKidder; 01-27-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MargotKidder For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,562
    This is one reason I am so glad that we moved, my son was the subject of many days of torment by the kids at his old school. I complained and complained and nothing was done. Thank God he has found friends here.
    Happy New Years

  14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to teonspaleprincess For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In Pennsylvania, but wishing she was some place else.
    Posts
    459
    My prayers and thoughts are with the family. I wonder if she was suffering from depression and the bullying made it worse. I'm just thinking out load.
    Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them."
    — Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper)

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theforgotten For This Useful Post:


  17. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozgals View Post
    I know some men believe that if the child stands up to it, (typically a male child) the situation will be resolved. I believe a female child has no recourse if this type of problem exists.
    Not only that, but teenage girls can be especially catty.

    I think many parents just shake their heads and feel it is not a big problem at all but it is. It is so hurtful and we have seen it lead to the death of other young people and children. It has to stop. Schools have to interact more to make sure this does not take place, as do the parents.
    I totally agree. It seems to me that a lot of parents want to believe that their kids can do no wrong, so I'd imagine that they'd get defensive when presented with evidence that their kid's bullying others. It's a shame, especially when it ends in a tragedy like this. That poor girl. May she rest in peace.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeenaBobba For This Useful Post:


  19. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    18,874

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by MargotKidder View Post
    God, I hate to hear stories like this. I know that there are bullies out there, and that sometimes very little can be done to solve these problems. It is so hard in the teenage years to see beyond your present circumstances though. It is hard to imagine that usually when you grow up to be an adult, most people could care less about the superficial things that mattered in middle or high school. I wish that schools could try to solve problems like bullying with support groups for kids....or at least teach a sociology class that focuses on cultural differences in world societies or cultural awareness in your own local area. Don't some businesses even have classes on this to help adults cope with diversity...and to build team morale?
    It's not just middle school and high school... I was bullied for 3 years in elementary school! 4th,5th, and 6th grade were a living hell for me!
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.



  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LinasK For This Useful Post:


  21. #11
    wonders's Avatar
    wonders is offline My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are mine and mine alone.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Here There and Everywhere
    Posts
    3,333
    A child who is a bully in childhood grows up to be a bully as an adult too. Been bullied a lot in my life. Was laid off a job early last year, boss called to meet me her for coffee in the spring, she offered my job back, I told her she is a bully and vindictive. That settled that.
    A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty....

  22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wonders For This Useful Post:


  23. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by wonders View Post
    A child who is a bully in childhood grows up to be a bully as an adult too. Been bullied a lot in my life. Was laid off a job early last year, boss called to meet me her for coffee in the spring, she offered my job back, I told her she is a bully and vindictive. That settled that.
    Very true. And parents who leave a lot to be desired, morally and ethically speaking, usually raise bullies who don't care about others.

    Good for you for sticking up for yourself!

  24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BeenaBobba For This Useful Post:


  25. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,732
    I was bullied from the first grade on up. Unfortunately,I was the perfect target courtesy of my mother. She was an animal hoarder, so my clothes always smelled like cat feces.
    One morning, I ate too slow, so she slapped my bowl of corn flakes over my head and made me wear it to school. The principal took me in her office and we used her private bathroom to wash it out. She gave me a nice long talk about bullies, and how most of them are pushed around at home. Explained to me about how when people, even young ones, feel powerless, they try to take power from other people. She taught me a very adult saying that day: "I'm sorry for whatever you are going through, but you won't feel better for hurting me." That saying literally sustained me through my years in formal school, which were first, second, sixth and tenth.
    I thank God for her, or I likely would have killed myself in sixth. I wish there were more administrators out there like her, that would realize that bullies will bully, they do it for power and attention, and addressing them will likely cause more issues. Address the victims, make them feel like they have worth, and reassure them that they can survive, they can make it through. JMO and my own two cents.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.


  26. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern Ontario
    Posts
    842
    When are we going to teach and or remind our children that even though the people we see and go to school with as we grow really are insignificant in the big picture. I barely ever see the kids I went to school. School is only about what 14 years that is such a small part in the big picture, and if we teach them that no matter what, you will make it through and become a better person. It is hard, and it really does seem like there is no way out or no end but there is.....time. During it seems like forever while we are in school but now as a grown woman it was so fast and those people who I thought were cool or important AREN"T.
    Just my, no one elses

  27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~greeneyedgirl~ For This Useful Post:


  28. #15
    OneLostGrl's Avatar
    OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Posts
    14,479
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    I was bullied from the first grade on up. Unfortunately,I was the perfect target courtesy of my mother. She was an animal hoarder, so my clothes always smelled like cat feces.
    One morning, I ate too slow, so she slapped my bowl of corn flakes over my head and made me wear it to school. The principal took me in her office and we used her private bathroom to wash it out. She gave me a nice long talk about bullies, and how most of them are pushed around at home. Explained to me about how when people, even young ones, feel powerless, they try to take power from other people. She taught me a very adult saying that day: "I'm sorry for whatever you are going through, but you won't feel better for hurting me." That saying literally sustained me through my years in formal school, which were first, second, sixth and tenth.
    I thank God for her, or I likely would have killed myself in sixth. I wish there were more administrators out there like her, that would realize that bullies will bully, they do it for power and attention, and addressing them will likely cause more issues. Address the victims, make them feel like they have worth, and reassure them that they can survive, they can make it through. JMO and my own two cents.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to OneLostGrl For This Useful Post:


  30. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    I was bullied from the first grade on up. Unfortunately,I was the perfect target courtesy of my mother. She was an animal hoarder, so my clothes always smelled like cat feces.
    One morning, I ate too slow, so she slapped my bowl of corn flakes over my head and made me wear it to school. The principal took me in her office and we used her private bathroom to wash it out. She gave me a nice long talk about bullies, and how most of them are pushed around at home. Explained to me about how when people, even young ones, feel powerless, they try to take power from other people. She taught me a very adult saying that day: "I'm sorry for whatever you are going through, but you won't feel better for hurting me." That saying literally sustained me through my years in formal school, which were first, second, sixth and tenth.
    I thank God for her, or I likely would have killed myself in sixth. I wish there were more administrators out there like her, that would realize that bullies will bully, they do it for power and attention, and addressing them will likely cause more issues. Address the victims, make them feel like they have worth, and reassure them that they can survive, they can make it through. JMO and my own two cents.
    I'm so sorry you went through that. I was bullied too for being shy and then later on for having cancer. What a Godsend that principal was and I think I'm going to take that saying and print it, so I can remember it when someone intentionally hurts me.


  31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lizzybeth For This Useful Post:


  32. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,915
    9 Indicted in Connection with Student's Bullying death.

    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...84/detail.html

  33. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ohiogirl For This Useful Post:


  34. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,915
    This article names those charged.

    http://news.bostonherald.com/news/re...osition=active

  35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ohiogirl For This Useful Post:


  36. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,915

  37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ohiogirl For This Useful Post:


  38. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there ....
    Posts
    8,437
    I only got bullied on occ. in school...everyone knew my older sister and were scared of her ! I always came to the defense of kids that I saw being bullied, always even if it meant a knock down drag out in the school hall ! I hate bullies !
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

  39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:


  40. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,169
    I pray that school administration across the country reads about this and is proactive to help stop bullying in schools. I pray parents around the country read about this and are proactive if their children are the bully or the bullied.

    RIP Phoebe, I'm praying your story changes lives for the better.

  41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boyz_Mum For This Useful Post:


  42. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    6,356
    my problem here is they didnt convict that mom of bullying for that girl who killed herself over the emails she sent her.

    can things change here? this is massachusetts after all......pedophiles get 1,000 cash bail and murdering nanny's get time served

  43. The Following User Says Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:


  44. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,535
    I really hope they can get justice for this poor kid....this is so sad...

    It truly bothers me that a teacher in the library that day witnessed these jerks tormenting this poor girl and did nothing.....wth??

    (((hugs))) to all of those who shared their stories here, especially Not My Kids..

    what great words of wisdom...I only wish that some teacher had helped Phoebe like that....what a great reminder that little things can make a difference

  45. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LogicalMinds For This Useful Post:


  46. #24
    believe09's Avatar
    believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oh Captain, My Captain
    Posts
    26,316
    I added tags so that they can find themselves here on WS...yes they are juveniles, but they have been named and charged.

    Such a heartwarming story-NOT. Who raises their kids to be this mean?
    email me


    Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99


    Bob Harrod SAR


    “The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

  47. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:


  48. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    6,356
    i'd make a sarcastic remark about frontal lobes but i wore that out on other threads.

  49. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 43 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bullying Teen Gets Public Punishment
    By White Rain in forum Bullying
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 12:54 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 01:34 AM
  3. NEW South America - Jennifer Pope: British, 50, 9 Jan 2006
    By EdinburghLass in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 10:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •