1351 users online (261 members and 1090 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
    its statutory cause its' not like she can testify it was other, can she?
    Well she can't testify to anything, which didn't stop charges of statutory rape. So how do you suppose prosecutor is going to try and prove statutory rape?
    I have no idea how 17 year old can even be charged with statutory rape because he is also a minor.
    Last edited by jjenny; 03-30-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Uhhh wouldn't he have to be 18+ for statutory? And there were two people when she only dated 1 jock...

It seems to me that there are alot of details left out. I'm hoping the probable cause statements will be released soon on the perps charged as adults at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Metzgermeister View Post
    Uhhh wouldn't he have to be 18+ for statutory? And there were two people when she only dated 1 jock...
    I watched the press conference by the prosecutor. Nothing was alleged about any kind of forcible rape. Prosecutor was talking about the girl being harassed because of teen dating relationship.
    Last edited by jjenny; 03-30-2010 at 01:36 AM.

I'm just really confused as to why there are two boys being charged with statutory rape and not just the one jock she might have dated.

deep in the countryside of northern Alabama
    http://www.sulphurdailynews.com/news...ho-killed-self

snip~Scheibel said the harassment began in September, occurring primarily in school and in person, although some of it surfaced on Facebook and in other electronic forms. At least four students and two faculty members intervened to try to stop it or report it to administrators, she said.

Schiebel refused to discuss the circumstances of the rape charges.

No school officials are being charged because they had "a lack of understanding of harassment associated with teen dating relationships," and the school's code of conduct was interpreted and enforced in an "inconsistent" way, Scheibel said.

"Nevertheless, the actions — or inactions — of some adults at the school are troublesome," she said. ~ end snip

No officials at school were charged because of a lack of understanding of harassment associated with teen relationships? Where were they raised on Mars? Ridiculous and unacceptable. This families loss can never be measured. Phoebe was found in the staircase of their apartment building by her little sister. God bless her.

According to articles I have read 50 people were interviewed by police, 50 people had knowledge of what was being done to this 15 year old girl for 3months. and no-one said or did a thing. Unacceptable.
    The depths of which we are able to love will be measured by the depths we are able to love ourselves....et

There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must NEVER be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

Not Alabama but Sweet Home just the same , SC
    I despise bullies. It was bad enough when I was in school and that was without cell phones and the internet wit facebook and all the other social networking sites which give bullies free rein to bully anonymously. I believe there are many problems that have led to bulling becoming so much worse in recent years. One of the problems are schools being to quick to look the other way. I hope and pray this is changing as many schools have adopted a zero tolerance policy and there are now programs in place top teach children how wrong and bad bullying is and not to let others be bullies as young as preschool. The biggest problem I think is parents that have the "not my child" syndrome. You know 30 years ago if a child was sent to the principal for bulling that were probably more scared of the punishment awaiting them at home. That is not the case now in so many homes. That is why I believe they need to enact some very strict anti bullying laws no matter the age of the offender. Make the punishment so stiff that they will not want to bully anyone ever again. Expel them and criminally charge them. Until a message is sent and examples are made of these bullies I am afraid this will problem will get worse.

First, I want to preface this by saying, there should be ZERO tolerance for bullying. I am in no way excusing or diminishing what happened, nor am I blaming her parents.

but.............................

I can't for the life of me understand HOW and WHY the parents of this beautiful child sent her off to school everyday!

If a parent learned their 15 year old daughter's boyfriend was treating her badly, hitting and belittling her ..I am certain the parent wouldn't pat her on the head and send her off on another date with him. I view this no differently.

Parents do need to take responsibility for their own child's safety & welfare. It should be BLANTANTLY OBVIOUS that no one else was going to....and certainly not this school administration.

Of course parents should be able to entrust their child to the school for a free education..... but, we also know that simply isn't true.

For Pete's Sake....if you bring a child into this world, adopt a child, or are otherwise responsible for the welfare of a child....protect that child!

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

have you stopped to consider maybe her parents did not know. I was bullied around that age and was ashamed and never said a word to my parents. Maybe their 1st warning sign was when she committed suicide. maybe both parents worked full time and could not home school her or could not afford another method of schooling. As long as the law requires that children attend school then they should make absolutely every effort towards assuring that there is a safe environment ion which to do it. I do not believe what so ever that any finger at all should be pointed at these grieving parents.

Quote Originally Posted by bamabeauty View Post
    have you stopped to consider maybe her parents did not know. I was bullied around that age and was ashamed and never said a word to my parents. Maybe their 1st warning sign was when she committed suicide. maybe both parents worked full time and could not home school her or could not afford another method of schooling. As long as the law requires that children attend school then they should make absolutely every effort towards assuring that there is a safe environment ion which to do it. I do not believe what so ever that any finger at all should be pointed at these grieving parents.
    I think if you re-read my post....I agreed with you... They should...but they don't!

I clearly stated, I wasn't blaming the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by bamabeauty View Post
    Her mother did know. It has been reported the mother talked to at least two school stuff about it.
    Obviously most people don't have the luxury to take their child out of school if for whatever reason the child isn't doing well there.

Whether or not she came to the US for a "better life" may or may not be true, but it's certainly irrelevant. Here is her obituary -- Phoebe Mary Nora Prince (1994-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Her mother did know. It has been reported the mother talked to at least two school stuff about it.
    Obviously most people don't have the luxury to take their child out of school if for whatever reason the child isn't doing well there.
    A "luxury" ?

I don't think so.

Adults have recourse. If an adult faced the same sort of harassment in the workplace there are laws in place. Adults can decide to stay or go, file suit etc... Children can not. It's up to their parents.

We know what happens when a bully's victim tries to handle it on their own....school shootings, stabbings etc...or suicide...or emotional damage that never leaves.

It's a HUGE deal with lasting repercussions. If parents don't make their child's well being a priority, how the heck is anyone else supposed to???

If pulling the child out is TRULY impossible....I would suggest it's a parents job to be very LOUD and EVER present in advocating for their child's rights. Find a lawyer, put the school on notice, call the media, etc...

This particular child was 15 years old. Obviously, old enough to stay home alone and do guided online study.

I think many parents are sending the wrong message to their children when a child believes their own safety and well being isn't as important as going off to be tortured everyday getting an "education".

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Whether or not she came to the US for a "better life" may or may not be true, but it's certainly irrelevant. Here is her obituary -- Phoebe Mary Nora Prince (1994-2010)

It's absolutely gut wrenching!

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    That is exactly what I said that most people can not pick up and change schools with there children and I do not think that they should have to. Even if the mother knew that does not change my opinion that the school really dropped the ball on this.

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast