Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast
    Haiti judge: Detained Americans should be released

The Associated Press
    Thursday, February 11, 2010; 11:21 AM

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti -- The Haitian judge deciding whether 10 U.S. missionaries should face trial on charges of trying to take a busload of children out of the country says he will recommend that they be released.

Judge Bernard Saint-Vil finished questioning the Americans on Wednesday. He now must send his recommendation to the prosecutor, who may agree or object.

But the judge has the final authority to decide whether they stay in custody or go free.

Saint-Vil told The Associated Press he will recommend that all 10 be released.

He would not elaborate, and it was not clear whether that recommendation means the charges may be dropped.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below. See Link above

Tick Tock

Impossible to get to the dossier today. Will deal with it Monday. This from the Haiti Attorney General.

In other words, the case is being kicked down the road. The Idaho Baptist Church news conference Thruday afternoon was called off.

No guarantee Monday will be any better for our Gang of Ten. Maybe they will get that provisional release then But I don't see them leaving the country. Who knows, maybe they will get lucky.

Have a nice weekend down there folks.

I haven't seen or heard the announcement yet, but I do know that if it doesn't come today it will have to wait until Monday since tomorrow has been declared a National Day of Mourning in Haiti.
    Also, Carnaval has been cancelled for perhaps only the second time in Haitian history. I think it was supposed to start on Sunday. So, in some ways that could benefit the Baptists, otherwise they might need to wait until a week or so from now. I mean, the country does have other stuff to do.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

Haitian judge poised to release US missionaries
    By FRANK BAJAK
    The Associated Press

""After listening to the families, I see the possibility that they can all be released," Saint-Vil told The Associated Press. "I am recommending that all 10 Americans be released."

Saint-Vil said he delivered his recommendation to prosecutor Josephe Mannes Louis on Thursday. Louis said he would respond with his own recommendation next week. Haitian government offices are closed Friday for a national day of mourning."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

"I can see the possibility..." "I am recommending..."

These vague expressions, full of doubt and uncertainty, cannot be comforting words from the judge almost requiring thwe subjunctive "condition contrary to fact." They suggest further processing = further delay. I wouldn't be scheduling any press conferences out there in Idaho any time in the near future. This is one of the best Slow Roll I have ever seen.

I'm glad to hear these folks will be sweating in a Haitian jail a while longer. It's good for them. I do wish they'd separate Silsby and Coulter from the rest of the women, though. I'm a wee bit concerned about Silsby's potential for getting violent -- if she hasn't found out already about the note the 8 slipped out, she's likely to soon. That woman is seriously unstable and really has her back to the wall -- a dangerous combination. Getting out of the Haitian jail isn't going to do her much good, because for her, the gig is up back in Idaho too. Her company will be forced into the bankruptcy it should have been in 8 or 9 years ago, her ex-husband will be marching into court to tighten up his custody of the children and put further limits on her visitation rights, facing her children will be terrifying and humiliating, the feds (and many of the people who donated to her orphanage scam) will be going after her for the phony claim re tax-exempt status, nobody is going to hire her for *any* kind of job and she's not even likely to be eligible for unemployment since she was employed by her own company and engaged in so much criminal financial fraud with it. She'll end up with so many fines and civil judgements that she'll never be allowed to keep any money beyond bare survival amounts, even if she eventually finds work or inherits some money. She has absolutely nothing to look forward to and she really could snap, if the grim reality of her situation is finally breaking through her psychological cocoon of fantasies and scams and always being in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Mouse View Post
    The Haitian legal system recognizes the Laura
    Silsbys of the world.
    Indeed, and it's really pretty pathetic that OUR legal system didn't recognize and deal with her, long before she ever lured in these dupes and set off for the DR and Haiti. She's been running a financial scam through her business for at least 8-9 years, and with the very long list of former employees and creditors who've filed claims and suits against her, somebody in our judicial system should have been able to put the pieces of the puzzle together quite a long time ago.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkpuddytat For This Useful Post:

Pink--That's an excellent point. I had not considered that. Our judicial system, by failing to act in a timely manner, is complicit in these current actions. You are right on.

I'm still waiting to hear just what those return tickets had stamped on them for the return date. Did any of them intend to return?

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear just what those return tickets had stamped on them for the return date. Did any of them intend to return?
    I recall at least one interview with a friend or family member of one of the group where the person being interviewed said the "missionary" had expected to be gone anywhere from a couple of weeks to a month. And Silsby's website pleas for volunteers were asking for people to come for stints of as little as two weeks, to care for the children.

The insanity of this "plan" is just mind-boggling. Can you imagine trying to run an "orphanage" for 100 recently traumatized children with a rotating staff of untrained, unscreened volunteers who are popping in for stints as short as two weeks? And that's IF anywhere near a sufficient number of people actually signed up for this trip into the Twilight Zone, and IF donors kept shelling out enough to pay for both the "orphanage" and all the money Silsby was skimming off for herself. If not, then who knows what would have happened to the children, if Silsby and her crazy crew had managed to get them out of Haiti. There would have been a bunch of Haitian children stranded in the DR with no passports or other identity documents and no legal record of how they got there or who was legally responsible for them (and one of the children on the busload of 33 was a mere TWO MONTHS OLD!).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkpuddytat For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=pinkpuddytat;4802037]... And Silsby's website pleas for volunteers were asking for people to come for stints of as little as two weeks, to care for the children.

The insanity of this "plan" is just mind-boggling. Can you imagine trying to run an "orphanage" for 100 recently traumatized children with a rotating staff of untrained, unscreened volunteers who are popping in for stints as short as two weeks?...QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing this out. I thought the same thing, when I was trying to figure out if Silsby was BPD or ASPD. What kind of person would think that this plan would support the psychological health of these 100 "orphans"? Which kind of crazy is Laura Silsby? It's hard to say, but it's clear she's pretty nuts.

Her 8 dupes are a few bricks shy of a full load too, but they seem like typical cult followers to me. Ordinarily, they're probably pretty high functioning. They just got sucked into the "reality distortion zone" of a skilled con artist.

When will churches figure out what a con artist looks like, and stop placing them in charge of ministries? This gets old after a while. As a Christian myself, I find it highly offensive. The SBC needs to do more to protect rank and file Baptists from predatory leadership.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/wo...2haiti.html?hp

The police in El Salvador have begun an investigation into whether a man suspected of leading a trafficking ring involving Central American and Caribbean women and girls is also a legal adviser to many of the Americans charged with trying to take 33 children out of Haiti without permission.

When the judge presiding over the Haitian case learned on Thursday of the investigation in El Salvador, he said he would begin his own inquiry of the adviser, a Dominican man who was in the judge’s chambers days before.

The inquiries are the latest twist in a politically charged case that is unfolding in the middle of an earthquake disaster zone. A lawyer for the group has already been dismissed after being accused of trying to offer bribes to get the 10 Americans out of jail.

The adviser, Jorge Puello, said in a telephone interview on Thursday that he had not engaged in any illegal activity in El Salvador and that he had never been in the country. He called it a case of mistaken identity. “I don’t have anything to do with El Salvador,” he said, suggesting that his name was as common in Latin America as John Smith is in the United States.

“There’s a Colombian drug dealer who was arrested with 25 IDs, and one of them had my name,” he said, not elaborating.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weedemout For This Useful Post:

Wow!!! Thanks for posting that article, Weedemout.

If true, its a bombshell. And, I am willing to bet its true. But, how would the Baptists have latched onto him?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

Annie Mouse--First, welcome. Glad to have you. If you've read through the entire post, you'll note that I've been screaming bipolar from early on. I think I even offered to eat a hat if she's not and I seriously doubt I'll be forced to swallow one. This woman is classic (possibly rapid cycling).

One of the things that I haven't mentioned as related to bipolar is the "pasted on/ beatific" smile. That is a mask that those with BPD learn to use when they are manic or cycling so as not to bring too much attention to their craziness.

Being that we know that BPD mania can cause hyper-sexuality, I've privately wondered if she hasn't preyed on Coulter. I realize that Coulter is a legal adult but Silsby has long held an authoritative role in her life. I would feel much more comfortable if those two were separated. Just the fact that Coulter willingly compromised her own health for Silsby tells me that this is not a healthy relationship.

That's a disturbing development. This case grows bigger and stranger by the minute. I've been so set on Silsby never being able to benefit financially (movie or book deals) from this debacle but I've changed my mind somewhat. I hope the script-writers in Hollywood, especially some fine documentarians, are taking notes. I'd love to see this made into a film to highlight the underworld of human-trafficking much like the film El Norte so poignantly told the Latin American emigrant experience. My hope is that Silsby will be compelled to tell her ENTIRE story and that the Haitian children she purportedly wished to "rescue" can benefit financially.

What this woman has done reminds me of the crime of looting following a disaster--grab what you can profit from and run. I've always been struck by the fact that so many looters grab TVs and cameras, instead of food, water, and diapers. There's a vast difference IMO.

i.b.nora--I, too, wonder how they would have found the trafficker. But how have they linked up with so many seemingly unconnected people? Sainvil in Georgia, the youth pastor in Kansas, several contacts within Haiti? It doesn't make sense because we don't know the whole story yet. We will, hopefully.

The only thing that jumps out at me right away is the fact that Thompson and his son have reportedly been involved in multiple missions in the past. Maybe this is someone he's come across and stayed in contact with. Thompson's actions--leaving his flock with a full schedule planned--has always struck me as far than odd.

Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast