Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Human Predators Stalk Haiti's Vulnerable Kids

Idaho Baptist on Today show: 'Better to get up off the couch and go help spirit the orphans into the DR so we can make them into Baptists'

The Idaho Statesman reports on the four Baptists on the Today Show today.

I didn't see it. Maybe it will show up online.

An intriguing and disturbing comment following the article linked by i.b.nora above. It was made by a poster named "Teresa". A snip:

"..........Was there a gifted, oratorical charismatic director of ANOTHER children’s home in the U.S. that she wanted to follow the model of? If THESE questions could be answered, I’m confident another whole can of worms would be opened here. Google "Lester Roloff", "New Bethany/Mack Ford". If you want to read about "christian" children's homes, especially ones that made LOTS of $ exploiting children, brace yourself and do a little research."

OK, following that little hint, let's take a look:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_Roloff[/ame]

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Read-...1&Info=0051343

http://newbethanysurvivors.multiply.com/

Lots more links for those wanting to google those names. Sounds like a place I'm glad I never spent time at. Any possibility Silsby crossed paths with someone involved in these youth homes? I am so curious as to the development of her "plan".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Haiti judge to visit Dominican Rep in Americans case

snippets

"Judge Bernard Sainvil said he would seek information in the Dominican Republic about Laura Silsby and Charisa Coulter, ..."

""I am going to the Dominican Republic tomorrow to learn more about the case and to visit where Mrs Silsby said she had the orphanage. I want to talk to some people there who could have useful information," Sainvil told reporters on Friday."

and

"Earlier on Friday, Sainvil questioned Silsby and Coulter about previous visits they had made to orphanages in Haiti.

Sainvil said the two would face another hearing on Tuesday, next week and would remain in detention until them. Their Haitian lawyer said he is confident they will also be freed."

and

"Asked about Friday's questioning by the judge, Silsby told Reuters: "He asked me questions about a visit I made to an orphanage in Ouanaminthe in December 2009. I went there and I met Pastor Daniel (in charge), we distributed gifts to the children.""

I found some old (2003) pics of the Costa Liza hotel.
    http://www.hotel-costaliza.de.vu/
    Particularly popular with European tourists.

By 2006 it didn't look as nice anymore:
    http://www.holidaycheck.de/hotel-Url...hid_40682.html

Late 2006 the Puerto Plata catholic diocese took it over and turned it into a vocational training and retreat center.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned much anymore is that the group had forecast lodging for up 120 kids. Meaning that - if the first bus trip had gone smooth - there would have been several more trips.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeff_jones For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jeff Jones for the links to information and pictures of the Costa Liza, and welcome to Websleuths.

Actually, if their first and their second trips had worked, they would have gotten 73 total, in those two trips alone. Thankfully, neither worked. And, you are right, they did have plans for many more.

These are brain dead people.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

DR agent shares orphanage plans of US missionary

By DIONISIO SOLDEVILA
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

"SOSUA, Dominican Republic -- Six months before Haiti's earthquake, the leader of a group of U.S. missionaries accused of kidnapping 33 children flew to the Dominican Republic to open an orphanage, a real estate agent said Friday.

During that visit, Laura Silsby inquired about property in the northwestern village of Gaspar Hernandez, near the popular sailboarding beach town of Cabarete, the agent, Jose Hidalgo, said.

He shared documents with The Associated Press showing Silsby planned to open an orphanage, a clinic and two schools in that town. Hidalgo said he agreed to meet Saturday with Haitian officials who called asking to review the documents."

Oh boy, more documents!!!

"It is unclear how many orphanages Silsby envisioned opening in Haiti or the Dominican Republic.

On Jan. 8 - four days before the catastrophic quake - she registered the name for the orphanage she planned to build in the Dominican Republic: New Dominican Life Children's Refuge. It was registered to two U.S. citizens who live in the Dominican Republic, who could not immediately be reached for comment."

What do you want to bet Rob & Dawn Chenvert?

"Hidaglo said that three days after the group was detained, he got a call from a man who identified himself as attorney Jorge Puello.

He said Puello requested documents detailing Silsby's plans to open the orphanage in the Dominican Republic so he could prove her innocence. Hidalgo said he turned over copies of the documents after Puello showed him a video in which he interviewed Coulter, one of the missionaries."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

You're welcome, and thanks for having me.

Haiti Press Network reports that Daniel Paul, who runs MADO in Ouanaminthe has confirmed that he did indeed receive a visit in December from Silsby & Coulter.
    They have been working hard for 7 years to build this place up. That's the type of organization that deserves support.

But no, Silsby wanted to do her own delusional thing, grandiose, from scratch, with no experience, no money, and ... in the country next door.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jeff_jones For This Useful Post:

The two people who registered Refugio de Niņos Nueva Vida Dominicana were:

Laura Lavonne Silsby and Jose Altagracia Ovando Hidalgo (most likely the realtor himself).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jeff_jones For This Useful Post:

I have noticed that in today's photos that both Laura Silsby and Charissa Coulter have on fresh outfits. Thank God!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_jones View Post
    The two people who registered Refugio de Niņos Nueva Vida Dominicana were:

Laura Lavonne Silsby and Jose Altagracia Ovando Hidalgo (most likely the realtor himself).
    Do you have a link for that info? Is it in the French article that I can't read?
    Reason I ask is because in the Associated Press article it says:
    "On Jan. 8 - four days before the catastrophic quake - she registered the name for the orphanage she planned to build in the Dominican Republic: New Dominican Life Children's Refuge. It was registered to two U.S. citizens who live in the Dominican Republic, who could not immediately be reached for comment."
    The only US citizens that I know of that are in the DR and have associations with Laura Silsby are Rob and Dawn Chenvert.

Welcome Jeff!! Glad to have you. Those are some great photos which you found. So, the Costa Liza is the hotel that Silsby agreed to lease in Cabarete while the orphanage was being built in Magante? Why would it look so bedraggled/rundown if the Catholics were using it as a training center (and training center for what?) I still wonder if Father Duarte of Canada had anything to do with this place. He was finally extradited to Canada in Fall 2009 so possibly the Catholics were pleased to hand over some property to the Baptists. Just a thought.

So, I've got a few questions about the link that i.b.nora posted.

We're talking almost $45,000 over 6 months to rent the place in the DR. Who was fronting this money? Was this an appropriate amount to even pay? How about the necessary repairs and improvements to bring the hotel up to par as a children's home? Were the people of a handful of churches in Idaho, Texas, and Kansas really planning on doing this? Did they have photos and the full facts? No need to answer that one.

And the video which Puello purportedly showed Hidalgo, which convinced Hidalgo to turn over documents (please tell me the man kept copies), when was it made? Was it when Puello strong-armed his way into the Haitian jail to speak to the detainees or was it made earlier with Coulter, on one of the trips before the earthquake. That's key to understanding when Puello entered the picture.

And, i.b.nora, ITA that the Chenverts must have been involved. They are probably totally bummed that this deal fell through. Real estate agents around the world are hurting right now. They must have been ecstatic to meet Silsby and Coulter, knowing that they could make a hefty commission in these tough times.

I think it is remarkable that the judge is planning on visiting the DR. I wonder if this is unprecedented. The judge is a wise man and most certainly knows about the history of corruption with charitable orphanages in his country. I think he's going to make a big deal about this investigation as it allows Haiti to save face in the eyes of the world.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

It's not in the article, but I looked it up online in the Dominican company registry.

I find it a bit odd that the Baptists and the Lutherans teamed up on anything. Here in the states, even the evangelical groups of both faiths, seem to rarely interact. JMO

I don't think there was any "teaming up". Silsby just went to visit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    Jorge Puello speaks!! Let's see what the gentleman has to say for himself.

http://bastardette.blogspot.com/

Also available here:

http://dontadopthaiti.blogspot.com/
    I meant to thank you earlier today for alerting us to these new posts at bastardette.
    After reading them I was left sort of speechless. I find the guy absolutely fascinating, and I think he is nuttier than a fruitcake. I really think he is destined to be this decade's great imposter.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

Missizzy, I'm sure the hotel looks a lot better now. The 3 last pics are from a disappointed tourist in 2006.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jeff_jones For This Useful Post:

Re Chenvert: he stated on the WSJ forums that it was his partner who negotiated with the diocese.
    And the diocese said two weeks ago that it was Hidalgo who approached them, looking for temporary facilities. Thus Chenvert and Hidalgo are partners.

Does anyone know how to translate Spanish? Here's a "jailhouse interview" with Jorge's wife in El Salvador. I'm very curious as to what she has to say about her husband and father of her children. I'm fairly certain the title is "Jorge Puello's wife is involved in a house of child prostitution".

http://www.elnuevoherald.com/noticia...ry/655844.html

I found this on the DR Forum:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/haiti-eart...ragedy-31.html

$45,000 over 6 months to rent the place in the DR

That's a steal, at $5 per room per night, and partially a gift from the diocese, based on Silsby's story that there were hundreds of kids in an orphanage in Port-au-Prince that had collapsed and needed urgent shelter. The diocese obviously didn't know she still had to go find the orphans.

Whether Silsby could drum up the money is another question of course.
    But worse, what made her think that within 6 months she could have a new building up & running, with people who would fly in and rotate??

Two words: delusional and reckless.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeff_jones For This Useful Post:

http://www.elnuevoherald.com/noticia...ry/655844.html

Missizzy: She says she is totally innocent and accuses Puello and his lover at the time for making her the culprit, though she had no idea this was going on.
    She got arrested, while Puello skipped town.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to jeff_jones For This Useful Post:

Izzy, in the bastardette blog comments section there is a translation of what I think is the article you are talking about.

4th post down, two parts.

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...30029450464783

Jeff--Does she name the lover?

Thank you guys--The translation is interesting. I guess I don't need to peruse illicit drugs. My brain feels sufficiently fried just reading the stories about Torres. Sounds like they must have an active Craigslist Adult Services in San Salvador.

And am I correct that one post leads to another? They, meaning Ana Josefa, met in Canada where Torres was selling appliances. Is the script-writer getting all this down? Did you guys see this comment:

"Check out the spelling on the Casa de Estudios Nidhe Israel site. Click on Dominican Republic and you'll get to it. Then click on "objectives" You'll see the same spelling. There has been conjecture that Casa de Estudios is connected to Puello."

FWIW, it took me a minute to figure out that you have to click on the posters names to see the full posts.

Missizzy - she doesn't name her. But somewhere else she was identified as Yvonne.

A poster at Bastardette translated the complete article in English.

Sorry guys for repeating what someone else had just posted. Not used to this type of forum.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast