CA CA - Katherine Truitt, 37, Point Reyes National Seashore, 7 Jan 2010

summer_breeze

Reaction score
http://www.foxreno.com/news/22382264/detail.html

Posted: 3:39 pm PST January 29, 2010

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Friends and family of Katherine Truitt, an Alameda woman who disappeared from Point Reyes National Seashore's McClure's Beach three weeks ago, will celebrate a mass Saturday for her safe return.

"This is not a memorial or a funeral. This is to bring her back. We're not ready to give up. It's to revitalize people and bring hope. This will be very upbeat," said Nancy Christie, the mother of Anna Christie, Truitt's close friend.

National Parks Service rangers saw Truitt's brown Ford Ranger in the beach's parking lot Jan. 8. When it was still there the next day, they began their investigation and search for the missing woman. She was last seen in Alameda on Jan. 7.

Truitt, 37, was the first woman to disappear this month from a Point Reyes National Seashore beach. Silvia Lange, 77, of Nicasio, was reported missing Jan. 24 from Point Reyes' North Beach about eight miles south of McClure's Beach. Lange is still missing.

Stormy weather in the Bay Area when the women disappeared has led to speculation they got too close to the shoreline and were swept away by a "sneaker" wave.

Christie said Truitt, like Lange, was savvy about the dangers sneaker waves present unwary beachgoers.

"She knew the ocean. She wasn't a tourist," Christie said.

Truitt suffers from a hereditary spinal injury and it would have been possible, but difficult for her to walk far to the shoreline, Christie said. She liked to meditate at the beach and used that time with alternative medical practices and art therapy for healing, Christie said.

Christie discounts speculation Truitt was sad or depressed and might have committed suicide.

"She was a very vibrant person," Christie said.

Truitt's family believes she was abducted and they are redistributing flyers with her photo, Christie said.

Alameda police checked Truitt's computer and Christie said "nothing negative or sketchy was found and no one had been harassing her."

None of her clothing or personal items were found on the beach although trash containers in that area were emptied before the search for Truitt began, Christie said.

The mass to celebrate Truitt's life and to pray for her safe return is at 11 a.m. at St. Joseph's Catholic Basilica, a 125-year-old Alameda church where her parents married. The church is located at 1109 Chestnut St.

"People may think we're grasping at straws, but these straws need to be grasped," Christie said.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/localnews/ci_14334601

By Peter Hegarty
Staff Writer
Posted: 02/04/2010 01:28:20 PM PST
Updated: 02/04/2010 02:16:16 PM PST

Nearly a month has passed since Katherine Truitt vanished at Point Reyes National Seashore while hiking her favorite beach. Her family and friends still nurse a faint hope the 37-year-old woman is out there somewhere, alive.

But with each day bringing no word from Truitt or fresh clues as to what happened to her, it's getting more and more difficult for them to believe the Alameda resident will one day return home.

"I'm just dealing with it day-by-day," said Truitt's best friend, Anna Christie, who has scoured McClure's Beach for any trace of the missing woman.

"It was her favorite beach," Christie said. "She loved the elk that were on the nearby hills. It was a place that gave her peace."

http://www.marinij.com/westmarin/ci_14421264

Brent Ainsworth
Posted: 02/17/2010 05:27:52 PM PST

The search has stalled for two women who went missing at West Marin beaches within two weeks of each other, the chief parks ranger at the Point Reyes National Seashore said Wednesday.
Alameda resident Katherine Truitt, 37, disappeared from McClures Beach on Jan. 9, and Nicasio resident Silvia Lange, 77, has not been seen since Jan. 24, when she went for a hike at North Beach.

"It makes everyone frustrated - the families, the friends, the rangers and the investigators," said David Schifsky, chief ranger at the National Parks Service's office in Olema.

Two park service investigators spent about a week in West Marin handling the cases and are now back at their respective offices, Schifsky said. "They have followed any leads that have come to us," he said. "There is nothing new to report."

Friends and families congregated on the coast as search-and-rescue efforts took place in the days after each woman was reported missing. Initially there were worries about possible abductions or "sneaker" waves pulling them into the ocean. Schifsky described that as "total speculation."

"Officially they are missing persons," Schifsky said.

Katherine Anne Truitt – The Charley Project

therine Anne Truitt
  • katherine_anne_truitt_1.jpg
  • katherine_anne_truitt_2.jpg
  • katherine_anne_truitt_3.jpg
  • katherine_anne_truitt_4.jpg
  • truitt_katherine5.jpg
Truitt, circa 2010

• Missing Since01/06/2010
  • Missing FromAlameda, California
  • ClassificationLost/Injured Missing
  • Date of Birth10/11/1972 (46)
  • Age37 years old
  • Height and Weight5'10 - 6'2, 145 - 190 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA black windbreaker jacket, an olive-green shirt or sweater, a white undershirt, size 16 black or blue jeans and men's size 8 black Keen sneakers. May have been carrying a green or black backpack
  • Medical ConditionsPrior to her disappearance, Truitt sustained a neck injury which, combined with a pre-existing spinal problem, left her with chronic pain.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Truitt's nickname is Kat. She wears contact lenses. Her ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Truitt was last seen by her roommate at their residence in Alameda, California on January 6, 2010. She has never been heard from again.

On January 9, her tan 2003 Ford Ranger pickup truck with a bed liner and the California license plate number 7C23799 was found by federal park rangers at McClure's Beach at Point Reyes National Seashore in Marin County, California. Two of her dogs were inside the truck; a third was leashed to a rock nearby.

Truitt, an avid hiker, has gone on many day trips to Point Reyes and is very familiar with the area. Her truck was still there the next day, which led the rangers to begin a search for its owner. No sign of Truitt could be found in the park, however. McClure's Beach has rough water and parts of it are only safely accessed during low tide. Tracker dogs traced Truitt's scent to a trail leading to the beach, but no further.

http://www.marinij.com/westmarin/ci_14421264

Brent Ainsworth
Posted: 02/17/2010 05:27:52 PM PST
Brent-I was in parking lot of North Beach 1-23-2010 when I got out and took a picture. I was parked next to Sylvia but never saw her, only the 2 dogs in the car. Later in the week I downloaded my camera, called you, you redirected me to LE. the image would disprove the serial killer theory. Present time 12 yrs later I see Sylvia's image on Charley Project, I thought the image I provided had closed the case, but was wrong her body was never found, so she is still considered missing. The image I had told a story of impressions in the sand, what I speculate when she opened the door the dog bolted out dragging the leash, his step impressions show he was moving fast, I speculate that Sylvia closed the door preventing the other two dogs from getting out and chased after the dog which was headed towards the water, it appears she had a fall into the ground with impression deep into sand. I've submitted a case one week ago to a DNA type project which has accepted, to my understanding this is a long drawn out process, I am hoping the end result will be Katherine or Sylvia will be coming home to reunite with family and friends.

• truitt_katherine6.jpg
  • truitt_katherine7.jpg
  • truitt_katherine8.jpg
  • truitt_katherine9.jpg
Truitt, circa 2010
  • Missing Since 01/06/2010
  • Missing From Alameda, California
  • Classification Lost/Injured Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 10/11/1972 (51)
  • Age 37 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'10 - 6'2, 145 - 190 pounds

• Clothing/Jewelry Description A black windbreaker jacket, an olive-green shirt or sweater, a white undershirt, size 16 black or blue jeans and men's size 8 black Keen sneakers. May have been carrying a green or black backpack

• Medical Conditions Prior to her disappearance, Truitt sustained a neck injury which, combined with a pre-existing spinal problem, left her with chronic pain.

• Associated Vehicle(s) Tan 2003 Ford Ranger pickup truck with a bed liner and the California license plate number 7C23799 (accounted for)

• Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Truitt's nickname is Kat. She wears contact lenses. Her ears are pierced.

Details of Disappearance​

Truitt was last seen by her roommate at their residence in Alameda, California on January 6, 2010. She has never been heard from again.

On January 9, her tan 2003 Ford Ranger pickup truck with a bed liner and the California license plate number 7C23799 was found by federal park rangers at McClure's Beach at Point Reyes National Seashore in Marin County, California. Two of her dogs were inside the truck; a third was leashed to a rock nearby.

Truitt, an avid hiker, has gone on many day trips to Point Reyes and is very familiar with the area. Her truck was still there the next day, which led the rangers to begin a search for its owner.

McClure's Beach has rough water and parts of it are only safely accessed during low tide. Tracker dogs traced Truitt's scent to a trail leading to the beach, but no further. Foul play is not suspected in her case; authorities believe she got into a mishap while hiking at the park.

Truitt is a graduate of the California Culinary Academy and worked as a pastry chef in various restaurants before she injured her neck on the job and was left disabled. She took walks as a way of controlling her chronic pain, took classes in computer graphics, and taught art to children.

Her body has never been found.

Investigating Agency​

• Alameda Police Department 510-337-8311

Source Information​

Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated August 9, 2018; five pictures added.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita
Back