930 users online (180 members and 750 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

IA - Martin Davis - 52 years old - Shueyville - Jan 2010

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...ng-man-stopped

By B.A. MORELLI • Iowa City Press-Citizen • January 9, 2010

Iowa City, Ia. - Family members of a snowmobiler missing since Sunday think he has died and have called off the search after days of single-digit temperatures, wind and snowdrifts, said Barry Davis, the brother of the snowmobiler.

"We think as of right now, he went to be with the Lord. We don't really want to admit that, but logic is telling us that," said Davis, the younger brother of Martin Davis.

Martin Davis, 52, of rural Shueyville was last seen Sunday morning when he left home on his snowmobile for Bobbers Bar and Grill at the Scales Pointe Campground at Lake Macbride State Park in Johnson County.

Barry Davis, who also is the University of Wisconsin wrestling coach and a former University of Iowa wrestler, said they think his brother may have fallen through the ice of Coralville Lake. Family and police decided calling off the search was the best thing to do, Davis said.

"As a family, we've sat down and spoke about the situation with my brother and how we'd remember him, and as a family continue to be there for him and try to move forward," Davis said.

Davis expressed several times his and his family's appreciation and thanks for all the generosity and support they have received the past few days.

"Instead of putting anyone in more harm's way - we thank everyone, we appreciate the calls and support, and move forward," Davis said.

Martin Davis is the oldest of four Davis brothers, said Barry Davis, 48.

"He is a great big brother. He is very supportive, not only of my wrestling career, but in my family he is a great leader," Davis said.

Officials from Linn County Sheriff's Office did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

The sheriff's office launched a formal search for Davis late Monday.

On Tuesday, groups of snowmobilers were out all day searching snowmobiling trails from around Coralville Lake north to the Kirkwood Community College area in Cedar Rapids. High temperatures hovered at the 4-degree mark Tuesday.

Tiffany Koss, Martin Davis' girlfriend, declined to speak about the situation Friday.

Earlier, Koss said she had last talked to Davis at 10:30 a.m. Sunday about what to have for dinner that night. When she tried to call him later in the day, his cell phone went straight to voice mail, she said.

When he didn't show up for work Monday morning at Clipper Windpower in Cedar Rapids, his friends and family knew something was wrong, she said.

He was last seen wearing his snowmobiling gear - a black helmet, black pants and a black and gray jacket - and riding a yellow Ski-Doo snowmobile, Koss said.

Davis rode a snowmobile for a number of years, she said.

Despite bitterly cold conditions that have gripped the area in the past week, John Castle, Coralville Reservoir operations manager, said the lake had areas of open water until last week.
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 04-03-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Missing brother of UW wrestling coach presumed dead

http://www.newsrunner.com/display-ar...+presumed+dead

Madison.com sports | Posted: Saturday, January 9, 2010 9:05 am

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Police and family members say they are calling off the search for the brother of UW wrestling coach Barry Davis, a Cedar Rapids-area snowmobiler who has been missing for nearly a week.

Davis told various news outlets that amid dangerously low temperatures, and with no evidence emerging, the family didn't want anyone to take any more risks by searching for his brother Martin, 52.

"We think as of right now, he went to be with the Lord. We don't really want to admit that, but logic is telling us that," Barry Davis told the Des Moines Register.

Wow. That's a really impressive attitude on the part of Barry Davis, being concerned about the safety of the searchers.
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"

Lucas: ‘UW family’ special to Davis

http://host.madison.com/sports/colum...1abaa1600.html

Mike Lucas | 608-252-6470 | mlucas@madison.com | Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:45 am

University of Wisconsin wrestling coach Barry Davis got some sobering news while riding the team bus to the NCAA championships in Omaha, Neb., last week.
    <snipped>

“I got a call on the way down to Omaha from the Johnson County (Iowa) Sheriff’s Department,” Davis said. “They found my brother’s helmet. That was between me and them. I kept it to myself, and I focused on the team and moved forward.”

Davis’ brother, Marty Davis, 52, who lives north of Shueyville, Iowa — midway between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City in Johnson County — has been missing since Jan. 3 when he left home on his snowmobile.

Last week, a fisherman found a snowmobile helmet — later confirmed to be Marty’s — floating in the Coralville Reservoir, leading local authorities to believe Marty Davis likely drowned.

Body Found at Coralville Reservoir Could Be Missing Snowmobiler

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/89811152.html

By Spencer Willems and Mark Geary
    By KCRG Intern
    Story Created: Apr 2, 2010 at 7:05 PM CDT
    Story Updated: Apr 2, 2010 at 9:26 PM CDT

CORALVILLE — A kayaker found a body in the Coralville Lake early Friday afternoon authorities say could be the remains of a missing snowmobiler.

Martin “Marty” Davis, 52, of rural Cedar Rapids, was last seen by his girlfriend on Jan. 3, 2010 when he had told her that he was going out for a ride on his snowmobile.

Body Of UW Wrestling Coach's Brother Is Found

http://www.channel3000.com/sports/23041562/detail.html

Martin Davis Went Missing In January
    Posted: 9:07 pm CDT
    April 2,2010

MADISON, Wis. -- University of Wisconsin-Madison officials said Friday that the body of the brother of the Badgers wrestling coach has apparently been found.

Martin Davis' body was found in a reservoir in Coralville, Iowa.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Rest in Peace Martin.

RIP Mr. Davis.
    Bless the beasts and the children
    For in this world they have no voice,
    They have no choice.

I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, keep me here.
    كلي