AR AZ - Diana Shawcroft, 20, & Jennifer Lueth, 19, Glendale, 24 May 1996

UMfanforever

Reaction score
Jennifer Lueth & Diane Shawcroft
Is a killer stalking the site where he dumped the bodies of two young women?

mur_jennifer_lueth_diane_shawcroft1.jpg

mur_jennifer_lueth_diane_shawcroft2.jpg

Who was driving the blue truck?

CASE DETAILS

mur_jennifer_lueth_diane_shawcroft3.jpg

They were found dead by two hikers

In 1996, Diane Shawcroft, 20, and her best friend, Jennifer Lueth, 19, left their homes in Colorado and moved in with Diane’s older sister, Kristina Frigoin, in Glendale, Arizona. After a spat with her sister, Diane left with Jennifer to go to the store. Kristina thought they would be right back:
“They said they were going to walk to the store to get cigarettes and a pop and that they would be back in a little while. They didn’t take anything with them. And they never went anywhere without their make-up. So that’s what made me think they were coming right back.”
Diana and Jennifer headed for the mini-mart a few blocks away. When they didn’t return immediately, it wasn’t cause for alarm, since the two young women were always up for adventure. Diane and Jennifer were seen at the mini-mart around 7 P.M. The cashier said the girls bought cigarettes and soda, then sat outside the store. Two hours passed. The girls were still there when the cashier saw a man pull up in a blue truck. According to Ted Symonds of the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office:
“They conversed for quite a while. They got into the truck. And then the truck drove off. And that’s the last time anyone saw them alive.”
mur_jennifer_lueth_diane_shawcroft4.jpg

Their memorial pictures were stolen

Three months later, two men were hunting in a remote desert 100 miles north of Phoenix when they came upon two bodies. Diane Lynne Shawcroft lay on top of Jennifer Sue Lueth. Both girls had been murdered. Because the investigation was ongoing, police withheld the cause of death. But the location of the girls’ bodies offered several clues as to who the killer or killers might be. The area was extremely isolated, 16 miles from the nearest highway and accessible only by pick-up truck or four-wheel drive. Police believed the perpetrator knew the area well and frequented it often to hunt or four-wheel drive. Jennifer Lueth’s father, Bob Lueth, believed the killer did not act alone:
“Jennifer was strong girl and she was a scrapper if she needed to be. It wouldn’t be easy for one person to overpower Jennifer alone, but with two of them, it’s just sort of inconceivable to me that one person was able to do that to two girls.”
mur_jennifer_lueth_diane_shawcroft5.jpg

Who was the man in the blue truck?

The investigation centered on finding the man in the blue truck. Believing that the girls knew this man, police focused on their personal lives. While in Phoenix, Diane and Jennifer had been to many parties and nightclubs. They had met a lot of people in the short amount of time they lived in Glendale, many of them men. Jennifer Lueth’s mother, Debra Lueth, knew they were easy targets:
“I think both Jenny and Diana were very naïve and very innocent. I think like most 19 year-olds, they think they’re invincible and can just conquer the world. I think whoever got involved with them knew that, could read them like a book, and took advantage of them.”
There was one final strange twist to this case. The families erected a shrine where the bodies were found. Pictures of both girls were placed at the foot of two wood crosses. Police decided to occasionally survey the sight, hoping to find evidence of a visit from the killer. Four years later, on September 29, 2000, they found it. Both photos of the girls had been removed from their frames. Only police and the victims’ families knew the exact location where the girl’s bodies had been found. Diane’s father:
“Nothing else seemed to be disturbed and it definitely raised questions as to who would want the pictures, who would go to that much effort to go back in as far as it is, get the pictures, and take them. Hard to even imagine who it would be, or why they would do it, unless it was the perpetrator.”
No evidence that might identify the murderer has ever been found. Authorities would like to question the man in the blue pick up who was the last person seen with the girls.

Just heard of this case today. I can't beleive it is still unsolved! I found it strange that they would sit on a bench outside a gas station for 2 hours, although there was apparently a fight with the sister they were staying with. I'm surprised the gas station worker would let people basically loiter. I hope this is the year the case us solved. And I wish the police had that memorial under 24 hour hidden camera surveillance. And no surveillance at the gas station-somebody got away with this, and it's just horrible.

Is a killer stalking the site where he dumped the bodies of two young women?

mur_jennifer_lueth_diane_shawcroft1.jpg

mur_jennifer_lueth_diane_shawcroft2.jpg

Who was driving the blue truck?

CASE DETAILS

mur_jennifer_lueth_diane_shawcroft3.jpg

They were found dead by two hikers

In 1996, Diane Shawcroft, 20, and her best friend, Jennifer Lueth, 19, left their homes in Colorado and moved in with Diane’s older sister, Kristina Frigoin, in Glendale, Arizona. After a spat with her sister, Diane left with Jennifer to go to the store. Kristina thought they would be right back:
“They said they were going to walk to the store to get cigarettes and a pop and that they would be back in a little while. They didn’t take anything with them. And they never went anywhere without their make-up. So that’s what made me think they were coming right back.”
Diana and Jennifer headed for the mini-mart a few blocks away. When they didn’t return immediately, it wasn’t cause for alarm, since the two young women were always up for adventure. Diane and Jennifer were seen at the mini-mart around 7 P.M. The cashier said the girls bought cigarettes and soda, then sat outside the store. Two hours passed. The girls were still there when the cashier saw a man pull up in a blue truck. According to Ted Symonds of the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office:
“They conversed for quite a while. They got into the truck. And then the truck drove off. And that’s the last time anyone saw them alive.”
mur_jennifer_lueth_diane_shawcroft4.jpg

Their memorial pictures were stolen

Three months later, two men were hunting in a remote desert 100 miles north of Phoenix when they came upon two bodies. Diane Lynne Shawcroft lay on top of Jennifer Sue Lueth. Both girls had been murdered. Because the investigation was ongoing, police withheld the cause of death. But the location of the girls’ bodies offered several clues as to who the killer or killers might be. The area was extremely isolated, 16 miles from the nearest highway and accessible only by pick-up truck or four-wheel drive. Police believed the perpetrator knew the area well and frequented it often to hunt or four-wheel drive. Jennifer Lueth’s father, Bob Lueth, believed the killer did not act alone:
“Jennifer was strong girl and she was a scrapper if she needed to be. It wouldn’t be easy for one person to overpower Jennifer alone, but with two of them, it’s just sort of inconceivable to me that one person was able to do that to two girls.”
mur_jennifer_lueth_diane_shawcroft5.jpg

Who was the man in the blue truck?

The investigation centered on finding the man in the blue truck. Believing that the girls knew this man, police focused on their personal lives. While in Phoenix, Diane and Jennifer had been to many parties and nightclubs. They had met a lot of people in the short amount of time they lived in Glendale, many of them men. Jennifer Lueth’s mother, Debra Lueth, knew they were easy targets:
“I think both Jenny and Diana were very naïve and very innocent. I think like most 19 year-olds, they think they’re invincible and can just conquer the world. I think whoever got involved with them knew that, could read them like a book, and took advantage of them.”
There was one final strange twist to this case. The families erected a shrine where the bodies were found. Pictures of both girls were placed at the foot of two wood crosses. Police decided to occasionally survey the sight, hoping to find evidence of a visit from the killer. Four years later, on September 29, 2000, they found it. Both photos of the girls had been removed from their frames. Only police and the victims’ families knew the exact location where the girl’s bodies had been found. Diane’s father:
“Nothing else seemed to be disturbed and it definitely raised questions as to who would want the pictures, who would go to that much effort to go back in as far as it is, get the pictures, and take them. Hard to even imagine who it would be, or why they would do it, unless it was the perpetrator.”
No evidence that might identify the murderer has ever been found. Authorities would like to question the man in the blue pick up who was the last person seen with the girls.
No finger prints I wonder from the frames? Why wouldn't they of put uo some type of camera? Then go public now the perp will never go back I bet.

http://www.yourwestvalley.com/glendale/article_25bffefc-b8c4-11e6-ad09-1b4ee83d2b1f.html

On May 24, 1996 Diana Shawcroft, 20, and Jennifer Lueth, 19, took a short walk to a mini-mart to buy some cigarettes and soda.

The two best friends never returned. Their bodies were found three months later in a remote desert 100 miles north of Phoenix.

What is known about Ms. Shawcroft and Ms. Lueth’s case is the store cashier saw the two, who lingered in front of the store, talk to a man who pulled up in a blue truck. They got into his vehicle, which then drove off.

Family members believe the girls knew the driver or they would not have left with him.

Authorities believe the killer frequented the area where the bodies were found or had some personal knowledge of the area because it was extremely isolated, 16 miles from the nearest highway and accessible only by pick-up truck or four-wheel drive. They also believe the killer was either quite strong or there was more than one person involved in the killings.

I've been in and around that area and it is truly isolated. I've seen people hunting and wood cutting back there. I wonder if LE ever cross checked with Arizona Game and Fish to see if they recognized the blue truck or if they ever cross referenced any tags (deer, javelina, etc) that were issued in the years prior. It is a stretch but I think something worth considering. Also if it is true that the girls would not have got into a car with a stranger I wonder if LE backtracked thier locations for the past couple of weeks. If they were at a bar, party, etc. Someone might recognize the composite and truck. Also what ever happened to the truck? Did it get repainted? Sold out of state?

Last edited:
Jennifer’s Dad died in 2014, Diana’s Dad died in 2019. I read that Diana’s mom died in 1997 but I can’t find anything to corroborate that. Does anyone know if Kathy did pass in 1997?
Sad.

I wanted to give this case a bump. I am really curious about the exact same thing as @AZ Native Cat! It crossed my mind that if the person knew the area they were most likely a hunter and may have registered for a tag in or near the area... if thats the case they may have a positive match referencing the persons registered with motor-vehicle records.

This is just a theory i have what if by chance they met this guy beforehand say a few weeks before their murders but he was driving a different vehicle at the time but the first time he meets them he decides to be nice to gain their trust and drops them off in a different location the first time so they get home safely. A few weeks go by and he happens to see them at the store and pulls up they immediately recognize him and he tells them hey there’s a party about an hour away from here want to go hang out at it? The girls say sure so he either takes them to this supposed party possibly around where there bodies are found but instead there is no party there and he decides to kill them instead. This is just a theory i have though.

This is just a theory i have what if by chance they met this guy beforehand say a few weeks before their murders but he was driving a different vehicle at the time but the first time he meets them he decides to be nice to gain their trust and drops them off in a different location the first time so they get home safely. A few weeks go by and he happens to see them at the store and pulls up they immediately recognize him and he tells them hey there’s a party about an hour away from here want to go hang out at it? The girls say sure so he either takes them to this supposed party possibly around where there bodies are found but instead there is no party there and he decides to kill them instead. This is just a theory i have though.
Good theory but if he took them to where they were found it was over an hour away from Phoenix in a very rural part of the state. There is literally nothing there and a part there would be very unlikely.

I have always wondered if they were part of the West Mesa murders. I can't remember, but I thought at least one of the West Mesa victims was from AZ. I have heard not all his victims may have been buried in West Mesa.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back