1025 users online (214 members and 811 guests)  

Websleuths News

VA - James Donald Crockett, 77, Tangier Island, 2005

The article below is about my great uncle and a great man. It is strange that his boat has never been found. We has a family have never healed because we have never be able to put my uncle to rest. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Mar13.html
    Tangier Island Aches for Lost Waterman
    Concern for Cats Might Have Put Pet Lover on Bay in Violent Storm, Friends and Family Surmise

By Joshua Partlow
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Monday, March 14, 2005; Page B01

Not long after James Donald Crockett picked up his gray tabby, Spottie, at the veterinarian Tuesday morning, the barometric pressure over the Chesapeake Bay began to plummet.

By noon, as waves lapped Crockett's 40-foot boat at the dock in Crisfield, Md., the temperature had plunged 23 degrees in seven hours. Icy gusts tore over the bay from the northwest, and the National Weather Service put out a gale warning.

Tangier Island, Va., in the Chesapeake Bay, home to crabbers and oystermen for more than two centuries, is a close-knit community of nearly 700 people. (Ricky Carioti -- The Washington Post)

Crockett, 77, had 11 miles to go to reach his home on Tangier Island, Va., a route he'd traveled countless times. His sons had begged him not to make the errand to the mainland that morning because, as they say on Tangier, "it speaks of bad weather." But Spottie needed to be spayed, and, as one friend said of Crockett, "He was a good waterman, and he wasn't afraid of the water."
    Last edited by imamaze; 11-11-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: added link and copyright 10% of article

KGriffen, So sorry to hear about your Great Uncle. Do you have any pics of him that you could post here? I googled and only came up with the article you posted.

Also, if you find a picture or pictures we might be able to get your great uncles case added to Charley Project since it is more than 6 months old. Pictures of the boat, if they exist would be good to. Charley project will usually post several pictures when available.

Will keep your great uncle and family in my prayers and hope you find answers.
    Last edited by Cubby; 02-03-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Thank you so much Cubby and Patience! Great Idea! I guess I can't think straight with it being family. I will get those pictures and post them. Thanks again!

Last edited by imamaze; 11-11-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: added pic