NY - Convicted child rapist is Upper West Side building super

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
W. Siders terrified of kid-rape super

By DAN MANGAN

Last Updated: 1:58 PM, February 1, 2010

Posted: 3:40 AM, February 1, 2010

A registered high-risk sex offender who served more than 14 years in prison for vile attacks on three Long Island girls works as a super at several Upper West Side buildings -- where tenants have complained he has tried to shake them down for sex, The Post has learned.

William Barnason, 57 -- whose registry indicates one female victim older than 17 -- has access to keys for the more than 50 apartments in the three buildings he oversees, which terrifies some residents.

"It seemed so unbelievable that someone would allow a registered sex offender -- Level 3, a rapist -- would allow them to have keys," said Carol Engle, a resident. "Just a total disregard for the safety and well-being of people."

He was hired by landlord Stanley Katz shortly after his release.

Barnason, whose sex-offender designation means he is considered to be at a high risk of re-offending, lives at 144 W. 73rd St., where he is the super and rent collector, a job he also holds at two other Katz buildings -- 140 and 142 W. 75th St.

Engle, 43, said that in May 2007, Barnason threatened to keep her $2,000 deposit if she didn't pay another $1,000 for the first month's rent -- even after Katz had agreed to let her move in mid-month. Then, she said, he made a salacious offer.

Katz's lawyer, Santo Golino, said the landlord denies the allegations and only recently learned of Barnason's criminal history. He said there were no plans to dismiss him.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/resident_evil_fhucKFMAxrRvfmJAtyewiL#ixzz0eOT0G9XI

So, what does this tell us about Mr. Katz, the landlord?

Is the registry OK with this? Any PO involved? If I were in this building, I'd call up a local rape crisis center and see if they couldn't help drum up a Residents' Info Night. Have a nice tea and cookies night to share info. Invite a local politician. Invite someone from LE. Have a good training about personal safety. Have someone speak from the Children's Advocacy Center. Info any person can use. After all, I'm sure Mr. Katz wants to keep his residents feeling safe.

Make Mr. Barnason VERY uncomfortable.

this guy has access to every apartment anytime he wants.
time to either move or get him fired.

CAN a RO have that job?? I mean aren't they told to stay away from children? I'm sure there has to be at LEAST one child this sex offender has access to thru those keys :(

This is just so wrong. I would have to change my locks myself. This owner is out of his mind. The backlash has only just begun I think.

The fact that the landlord of the properties failed to check his criminal history says a lot. I wouldn't want a criminal working for me and having the type of responsibility he has. Anything could happen.

I also have questions about the landlord. IMO one does not just turn someone lose with control over 3 rentals without knowing something about the person their handing the keys to. Are they related?
A tenant has a right to feel safe inside their own home and knowing this SO has keys I certainly would not feel safe! These tenants need to join forces, get legal advise and find a way to withhold rent until this is fixed. Hit the landlord in the pocketbook and they'll get action!

VB

W. Siders terrified of kid-rape super

By DAN MANGAN

Last Updated: 1:58 PM, February 1, 2010

Posted: 3:40 AM, February 1, 2010

A registered high-risk sex offender who served more than 14 years in prison for vile attacks on three Long Island girls works as a super at several Upper West Side buildings -- where tenants have complained he has tried to shake them down for sex, The Post has learned.

William Barnason, 57 -- whose registry indicates one female victim older than 17 -- has access to keys for the more than 50 apartments in the three buildings he oversees, which terrifies some residents.

"It seemed so unbelievable that someone would allow a registered sex offender -- Level 3, a rapist -- would allow them to have keys," said Carol Engle, a resident. "Just a total disregard for the safety and well-being of people."

He was hired by landlord Stanley Katz shortly after his release.

Barnason, whose sex-offender designation means he is considered to be at a high risk of re-offending, lives at 144 W. 73rd St., where he is the super and rent collector, a job he also holds at two other Katz buildings -- 140 and 142 W. 75th St.

Engle, 43, said that in May 2007, Barnason threatened to keep her $2,000 deposit if she didn't pay another $1,000 for the first month's rent -- even after Katz had agreed to let her move in mid-month. Then, she said, he made a salacious offer.

Katz's lawyer, Santo Golino, said the landlord denies the allegations and only recently learned of Barnason's criminal history. He said there were no plans to dismiss him.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/resident_evil_fhucKFMAxrRvfmJAtyewiL#ixzz0eOT0G9XI

WOW - :shocked2: Thanks that is a stone throw away from where I live in NYC :shocked2: :shocked2:

id also be worried if i lived there, and had kids, that he has already used his keys and his position..........'

So, what does this tell us about Mr. Katz, the landlord?

Is the registry OK with this? Any PO involved? If I were in this building, I'd call up a local rape crisis center and see if they couldn't help drum up a Residents' Info Night. Have a nice tea and cookies night to share info. Invite a local politician. Invite someone from LE. Have a good training about personal safety. Have someone speak from the Children's Advocacy Center. Info any person can use. After all, I'm sure Mr. Katz wants to keep his residents feeling safe.

Make Mr. Barnason VERY uncomfortable.

The strange part is I am a Broker who actually lives down the street and this Landlord is not in any of the major data bases that I have ever used. SO...he either does his own renting and does not use brokers at all. Or he has one broker in the family and wont be in any data base, OR he has mostly rent stabilized apartments (regulated rents lower then market value) where people do not move and his income is low but in this area his tax is high...And maybe he has a couple of real market rate units, which would have a move every os often. I will be checking them out, but it i way too cold in NYC for me to do anything more then I have to do right now.

I am guessing that this SO is cheap and he cant get anyone at that price. (just guessing)
I would also venture to say that this SO is accessible by cell or beeper.
ALL supers have keys to the buildings but not all have keys to apartments. Many tenants in NON doorman buildings or in the smaller building such as these have their own keys and don't give it to anyone.
here is a link that will get you to the buildings.
These building are known as Brownstone - they are walk ups they can have anywhere from 1 to 10 tenants depending on how it had been designated inside.
http://www.vpike.com/ shows the other side of street - switch the arrow.
140-142 w. 75 are almost covered by the tree and hard to see. switch the arrow.
144 w 75 you see a large building it is not it..switch the arrow see construction that is it.

I will begin to volunteer that information to all.

this guy has access to every apartment anytime he wants.time to either move or get him fired.
Most people I know in those buildings do not give a key to he supper.
That is not correct information.
In the larger apartment buildings with a doorman it is a rule that you have to give one key but you can lock the doors with a second key that you DO NOT have to give anyone.
That'S in case you need a service done while at work you lock only with the key the super does have.
They changed my supper a year ago I took all my keys back till I got to know the guy I just gave him a key last week one year after he had been here. and I am IN a larger door man building.

Having said that he can have some keys that some people do give - (not smart)

CAN a RO have that job?? I mean aren't they told to stay away from children? I'm sure there has to be at LEAST one child this sex offender has access to thru those keys :(

What really sucks is that this area has a lot o young single people not only families. and a landlord checks them out thoroughly to get them approved.... but he did not bother to check out the supper :furious:
and a 22 year old tenant is bait (per article) :furious:

Most people I know in those buildings do not give a key to he supper.
That is not correct information.
In the larger apartment buildings with a doorman it is a rule that you have to give one key but you can lock the doors with a second key that you DO NOT have to give anyone.
That'S in case you need a service done while at work you lock only with the key the super does have.
They changed my supper a year ago I took all my keys back till I got to know the guy I just gave him a key last week one year after he had been here. and I am IN a larger door man building.

Having said that he can have some keys that some people do give - (not smart)

song i was going by the fact that the article stated (and it was bolded) that he had keys for over 50 apartments.
maybe that is generally not the rule, as you stated, but in this case it's what happened.

song i was going by the fact that the article stated (and it was bolded) that he had keys for over 50 apartments.
maybe that is generally not the rule, as you stated, but in this case it's what happened.
I pray that all the tenants had a second lock that they used regularly.

I didn't think a story like this in the NY Post would go unanswered by a politician

New Bill Would Ban Sex Offenders From Serving as Superintendents
February 2, 2010 12:17pm

MANHATTAN — A state assemblyman wants to keep sex offenders from working in apartment buildings after learning of a convicted child rapist who was serving as the super of three Upper West Side buildings.

Assemblyman Micah Kellner (D-Manhattan) introduced a bill that would ban level two and level three sex offenders — those at a moderate to high risk of repeating their crimes — from serving as superintendents or building managers.

"Dangerous sex offenders shouldn't have the keys to your home," Kellner tweeted on Tuesday. "My bill would fix this."

http://dnainfo.com/20100202/manhatt...sex-offenders-from-serving-as-superintendents

I didn't think a story like this in the NY Post would go unanswered by a politician

New Bill Would Ban Sex Offenders From Serving as Superintendents
February 2, 2010 12:17pm

MANHATTAN — A state assemblyman wants to keep sex offenders from working in apartment buildings after learning of a convicted child rapist who was serving as the super of three Upper West Side buildings.

Assemblyman Micah Kellner (D-Manhattan) introduced a bill that would ban level two and level three sex offenders — those at a moderate to high risk of repeating their crimes — from serving as superintendents or building managers.

"Dangerous sex offenders shouldn't have the keys to your home," Kellner tweeted on Tuesday. "My bill would fix this."

http://dnainfo.com/20100202/manhatt...sex-offenders-from-serving-as-superintendents

I got 4 calls tonight about this article. Some knew the buildings when thery were crack houses.
Based on this photo - i never saw this guy and I am here over 30 years, so he does not live around here he is more then likely called when needed.

:furious: No he should not even be allowed to be a porter who picks up the garbage in a building.

In a large building he would not get away with it for a minute. owner Katz is considered a small landlord but he still has about -30 apartments in all 3 buildings; those building have 5 floors and 2 apartments per floor the basement is not an apartment unless he did something illegal. I have no idea where he got 50 keys. 2 lobby keys per building is 6 +36 at the most units.
His buildings were known to be crack houses. But not anymore.

Yes Michael Douglas lives a block way as do I, but it is NYC and even the best neighborhoods have an occasional rat hole.

time to save this article for our local board.

I saw this on the Today Show this morning...according to what I heard, he does have keys to the apartments. Tenants have complained for years, but the owner does nothing. The lady they interviewed, who is a tenant and the one mentioned in the article above, is moving.

I just looked up his RSO info

Special Conditions:
Seek, Obtain, Maintain Employment,Mandatory sex offender counseling program,Abide by case specific sex offender conditions,Residence must be approved by a PO,No alcohol,Curfew,No unsupervised contact with children 18 years of age or younger without permission,No drugs,Substance abuse treatment and testing

I guess it's OK w/ his PO that he has access to keys to apts??

This video shocked me... Thank you...I just wrote to our Mayor.
the SO lives in the building....We never see him. several of us discussed in it the lobby. This is scary.
My friend live about 5 building from where this SOB lives and nobody has his keys. He is male, thank God.
THESE PEOPLE CAN CHANGE THEIR LOCKS LEGALY.
I am glad I have a doorman, but this is a very affluent area. :furious: Known to be very safe.
IMO this Landlord is a horrific example of a landlord. He should get rid of the guy.

Now I wonder what lurks in Katz's closet too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back