So you think your pre-washed lettuce is clean?

:sick::sick::sick:
EEEWWW!
So what's the point of buying pre-washed salad? :waitasec:
(I go through at least 2 bags a week...maybe not anymore?)

Gee whiz, believe. I already hate going to the grocery store and you've been on a tear lately opening our eyes to all the other bad stuff going on in there that I didn't know before. I swear when I walk in there all I can see is salmonella, lysteria, e-coli, cows being bashed in the head and chickens stuffed into cages with no light, melamine, foods from places that the people who raise/grow it can't afford to eat what they grow and live in poverty so we can have shrimp year round, genetically modified corn, pesticides, herbicides, dyes, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils.....gaaaaahhhhhhh. I've practically stopped eating (ok, not really, but you know...). I don't feel that we have the right to bankrupt and ruin the rest of the world because we want a particular food all the time. But I do want to know what I'm buying and to know that that isn't going to poison me or my family. I've stopped eating salads because I don't trust the ingredients, not to mention many other foods for similar reasons.

When I was a kid I would watch the Jetsons and marvel at their food dispenser. Even then I knew that it wouldn't be good for us to eat pills rather than food, but it seems like they are still trying to make it reality...

why would you buy prewashed lettuce? seriously, what is the world coming to!

No I sure didn't think it, B.

You can wash all your fruits and veggies with baking soda. I especially do this with the bagged stuff. Those little baby carrots and such.

Even oranges I'll scrub the outside of them with some baking soda. You're not eating the peel of course, BUT it goes in your mouth as you eat it. Prior to buying them they're sitting in one of those dirty baskets or cart. Even if they're in plastic Lord only knows where they were last.

Then again this is just me. My mom has a lousey, nasty autoimmune disease so I try to be careful with everything. It's all gross. I wonder at the miracles of baking soda though.

Why buy prewashed lettuce? Why buy any food that requires or even insinuates that you should place your health in the hands of someone that you have never met?

Oh, wait, that's pretty much all food. Now, I'm stressed...I eat when I'm stressed, which would now stress me more. I can't win for losing.

I wash everything...heard celery has the most bad chemicals...and I know people who don't wash any of it.

Fecal matter? What the L is that about?????????

I buy head lettuce and dark greens and soak them...thanks for the tip on baking soda.

FECAL MATTER????????? I REALLY don't get that.

Gee whiz, believe. I already hate going to the grocery store and you've been on a tear lately opening our eyes to all the other bad stuff going on in there that I didn't know before. I swear when I walk in there all I can see is salmonella, lysteria, e-coli, cows being bashed in the head and chickens stuffed into cages with no light, melamine, foods from places that the people who raise/grow it can't afford to eat what they grow and live in poverty so we can have shrimp year round, genetically modified corn, pesticides, herbicides, dyes, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils.....gaaaaahhhhhhh. I've practically stopped eating (ok, not really, but you know...). I don't feel that we have the right to bankrupt and ruin the rest of the world because we want a particular food all the time. But I do want to know what I'm buying and to know that that isn't going to poison me or my family. I've stopped eating salads because I don't trust the ingredients, not to mention many other foods for similar reasons.

When I was a kid I would watch the Jetsons and marvel at their food dispenser. Even then I knew that it wouldn't be good for us to eat pills rather than food, but it seems like they are still trying to make it reality...

I have that effect on people, lol!!!!!!!!

I have a cousin who does not accept emails from me on these subjects anymore...;)

:sick::sick::sick:
EEEWWW!
So what's the point of buying pre-washed salad? :waitasec:
(I go through at least 2 bags a week...maybe not anymore?)

Bagged salads have always confused me-- they feel so dry! Not natural for lettuce to feel that dry, imo... seems like re-hydrating it, via washing, would be the first step to restoring flavor and texture too. Idk, I never bought into this trend... too expensive for my budget, but I've eaten many times, of course.

Expense does not mean quality... gross.

Doggone it, another one of my favorite conveniences out the window!

Interviewer: What are you doing?
Monica: Ripping the lettuce
Interviewer: Is it dirty?
Monica: I'll wash it
Interviewer: No, I like it dirty
Monica: ok?
Interviewer: What are you doing now?
Monica: Slicing the tomatoes
Interviewer: Are they...firm?
Monica: They're alright
Interviewer: Are you sure they've not gone bad. Really, really bad?

If everyone just washed their produce it wouldn't really be a problem...

And a little bacteria never hurt anyone! ;) (Okay, maybe fecal matter is a different story, but some bacteria is good for you!)

Okay, so it might not be exactly the same thing, but I once found 1/2 a grasshopper in a bag of the ready-to-use, prewashed hearts of romaine...

Luckily I noticed it while I was dumping the romaine into the sink for a rinse...

why would you buy prewashed lettuce? seriously, what is the world coming to!

because I work and eat at the same time, I head a department, I don't have time to wash and dry (cause i don't like watery dressing) my spinach, guess now I will :( thanks for the eye opener!

The inmates at the jail I work at eat pre-packaged salads.
:) Lets hope Casey A, Misty and Ron are also.

VB

Oh geez, take one guess what I'm eating right at this very moment.

Okay, so it might not be exactly the same thing, but I once found 1/2 a grasshopper in a bag of the ready-to-use, prewashed hearts of romaine...

Luckily I noticed it while I was dumping the romaine into the sink for a rinse...

They might have been just trying to add a little protein.:dance:

I'm not reading that article because I'll throw up. But this is why I don't buy that stuff. I just don't trust that it's clean. I wash EVERYTHING before eating/cooking it. I wash watermelons with soap and water before I cut into them. Think about it - this stuff goes from being picked or whatever, into bins and bags and trucks and you have no clue how many dirty, nasty, poopy hands touch them. Yuck, yuck, yuck. When it comes to my food, I'm not going to assume it's clean unless I have washed it myself.

Disgusting!!!!!!!! You could have dipped it in chocolate and eaten it though. :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SGS3030
Back