Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Social workers trial starts for death of Danielle Kelly

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,860

    Social workers trial starts for death of Danielle Kelly

    Trial opens for social workers in death of Danieal Kelly


    Four former employees of a city-funded social-service agency will go on trial in federal court today on charges stemming from the death of Danieal Kelly, the 14-year-old with cerebral palsy who died in 2006 of starvation at her mother's apartment.

    The now-defunct agency was supposed to provide care for the teen and other at-risk children with federal funds funneled through the city's Department of Human Services. But federal prosecutors charge that Michal Kamuvaka, who ran MultiEthnic Behavioral Health Inc., instead billed the city for services it never provided - including home visits that never happened - purportedly to care for the girl.

    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...eal_Kelly.html
    Last edited by Salem; 07-02-2011 at 01:10 PM.


    Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

  2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    29,078
    I hope the pigs are charged with accessory to murder!!!

    I can't say what I really hope!

    Salem

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Salem For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    kileyizzle's Avatar
    kileyizzle is offline ♥ we have but two lives. The life we learn with, & the life after that ♥
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    202
    let's pray this is justified, & ensure these people pay their dues.

    absolutely disgusting.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kileyizzle For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    believe09's Avatar
    believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oh Captain, My Captain
    Posts
    26,323
    I can think of a few other jurisdictions that had better be watching this outcome very very closely....
    email me


    Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99


    Bob Harrod SAR


    “The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,732
    Come on, come on, set the precedent, set the precedent. Just set the dam precedent so we can start limiting the negligence and prosecuting those that won't admit that they are too burned out or overworked or apathetic to do the job.

    ETA: Or too greedy, or evil...or insert your favorite adjective here.
    Last edited by not_my_kids; 02-03-2010 at 01:12 PM.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    "The truth is on the march and nothing will stop it" Emile Zola
    Posts
    15,725
    One of my dearest and sweetest friends found out about this case and posted about it on her facebook page.

    She is angry and heartbroken and I don't blame her. She asked me when this is going to stop and I don't know what to tell her.

    When is this going to stop? Not in our lifetime I am afraid.

    At least child abuse is down. That's something but one case is too many.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=9730224

    And L.A. County is no longer going to strive to reunite the family. Why in the name of God a court wouldn't put what is best for the child above the parent in the first place is beyond me.

    These beautiful babies deserve a decent life.
    `````````````````

    JOIN US EVERY THURSDAY NIGHT FOR TRUE CRIME RADIO ON IHEART. CLICK HERE THURSDAYS 8 PM EASTERN FOR THE LINK TO THE SHOW, TO JOIN OUR NEW CHATROOM, AND FOR SHOW ARCHIVES! DON'T FORGET CHAT OPENS THURSDAYS 7:30 EASTERN



    Join Websleuths on Twitter



    And Face Book of course
    |





    ************************************************** **************************************

    Tricia Griffith
    tgrif@xmission.com
    6300 N. Sage Wood Drive
    Suite H # 214
    Park City UT
    84098

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tricia For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    One of my dearest and sweetest friends found out about this case and posted about it on her facebook page.

    She is angry and heartbroken and I don't blame her. She asked me when this is going to stop and I don't know what to tell her.

    When is this going to stop? Not in our lifetime I am afraid.

    At least child abuse is down. That's something but one case is too many.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=9730224

    And L.A. County is no longer going to strive to reunite the family. Why in the name of God a court wouldn't put what is best for the child above the parent in the first place is beyond me.

    These beautiful babies deserve a decent life.

    IMO The number one problem with child protection agency's, the way I see it...is confidentiality! It's too often misused to bury mistakes as opposed to protect the child. If family court were made public in CPS cases, there would be far more accountability.


    And the whole "best interest of the child" is a load of crap too. CPS, DHS, or whatever it's called in each state has far too much authority and not enough accountability. individual case workers have the authority to pretty much do whatever they please and they and their supervisors stick together like velcro.

    I've seen the very worst social workers actually promoted instead of being fired, when they clearly should have been fired.


    Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,732
    Linda - I agree with all of that, except making the cases public. As a child of the foster care system, I could never condone the kind of pain that would cause.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

  16. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,860
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Linda - I agree with all of that, except making the cases public. As a child of the foster care system, I could never condone the kind of pain that would cause.
    I understand, really I do. IMO It's kind of like being a sexual assault victim. There should be ZERO shame, yet for some reason there still is for many. There should be any shame....the shame should lay firmly at the feet at those that FAILED to do their job, the adults that failed as parents, the neighbors that said & did nothing, the social worker that didn't bother to show up, etc...

    If the public really knew what went on in the lives of thousands and thousands of children in this county, perhaps more good people would step up to the plate, maybe the laws on child abuse would get stiffer, maybe, just maybe, people would get half as sick to death as I am over it.

    I just think children in the foster care system would get better treatment and care if people were watching. Too many times foster parents and biological parents abuse and injure children and NEVER have to answer for it. Sure parents may lose custody of their children, but while the child looses everything they have ever known, parents are free to skip away if they chose. The worst that usually happens to a abusive foster parent is they get their licence yank. Big deal!


    Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
    Posts
    17,645
    "Nobody wanted this child to die" screamed the headlines in our newspapers.

    Then we had to look at them all going in for the trial. One woman stopped to actually answer questions for reporters and every answer was "I can not comment without my attorney".

    Are you kidding me? They started the cover up as soon as they found out this sweet, beautiful child had died. I've taken to switching the channel when I see them marching out of court for lunch.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:


  20. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    6,553
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Linda - I agree with all of that, except making the cases public. As a child of the foster care system, I could never condone the kind of pain that would cause.
    I agree that the details of the cases should not be public but I do think there should be some sort of watch group, made up of appropriate types of professionals bound by confidentiality. But someone that has the authority to look at a case before the child is dead and the records are evidence. Someone that a concerned relative can go to when they have called CPS and nothing is happening. The system is broken but I don't think having the details of every victim's homelife in the public eye is the answer. I agree that there should be no shame in it but I also believe it is my decision as an adult what I choose to share about the details of my abuse and with whom I want to share it.

    And the cynical side of me says it wouldn't do any good. There are more than enough details of these crimes in the news everyday and rather than outrage and change the general public seems to become more numb to it everyday. And part of me sees dollar signs in the move to prosecute cps workers for negligence followed by damages while we ignore the parental responsibility of women who allow their boyfriend du jour to beat, torture and rape their kids. Can't sue mom for damages though so there will be no one motivated by dollars to pursue them.

    CPS workers who fail at their jobs should be held responsible no doubt, but it is still ignoring the core issue. moo

  21. #12
    believe09's Avatar
    believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oh Captain, My Captain
    Posts
    26,323
    We cant give them absolute authority with no accountability.

    You know, that model is built into our court system as well-judges can rule basically with impunity because of the whole shades of grey area of the law. The SO here in MA who was out on bail for raping a child, and raped a three year old, beat her and then threatened to kill her mother springs to mind. The judge who set the bail is protected because bail is not a punishment-it is something used to assure the defendant's next court appearance. Hope the judge sleeps well at night.

    But I digress-I wonder what would happen if CPS/DYS was run like a corporation? A certain amount of transparency, accountability-but more importantly, structured support for those who work within it? Rules, guidelines?

    What if they were allowed to treat child abuse as if it were A&B? Then you couldnt run from state to state and avoid the paper trail....

    Just trying to think of a fix....
    email me


    Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99


    Bob Harrod SAR


    “The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

  22. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    6,553
    Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    We cant give them absolute authority with no accountability.

    You know, that model is built into our court system as well-judges can rule basically with impunity because of the whole shades of grey area of the law. The SO here in MA who was out on bail for raping a child, and raped a three year old, beat her and then threatened to kill her mother springs to mind. The judge who set the bail is protected because bail is not a punishment-it is something used to assure the defendant's next court appearance. Hope the judge sleeps well at night.

    But I digress-I wonder what would happen if CPS/DYS was run like a corporation? A certain amount of transparency, accountability-but more importantly, structured support for those who work within it? Rules, guidelines?

    What if they were allowed to treat child abuse as if it were A&B? Then you couldnt run from state to state and avoid the paper trail....

    Just trying to think of a fix....
    This is a good point about support for the cps workers who get few accolades but get blasted when the cases go wrong (even when they recommended pulling the child and the judge went with reuniting the family).

    But the workers need an outside source of support. An ability to take a file that they have a hinky feeling about, that needs more time than then their workload allows (the moms that pull their kids out of school and dodge in home visits, or the kid is asleep, or with dad at the visit time come to mind) and do something other than check the check box and move on.

    No system will ever be perfect as we are trying to protect kids from their own parents which is just unnatural in and of itself

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to impatientredhead For This Useful Post:


  24. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,732
    Quote Originally Posted by impatientredhead View Post
    I agree that the details of the cases should not be public but I do think there should be some sort of watch group, made up of appropriate types of professionals bound by confidentiality. But someone that has the authority to look at a case before the child is dead and the records are evidence. Someone that a concerned relative can go to when they have called CPS and nothing is happening. The system is broken but I don't think having the details of every victim's homelife in the public eye is the answer. I agree that there should be no shame in it but I also believe it is my decision as an adult what I choose to share about the details of my abuse and with whom I want to share it.

    And the cynical side of me says it wouldn't do any good. There are more than enough details of these crimes in the news everyday and rather than outrage and change the general public seems to become more numb to it everyday. And part of me sees dollar signs in the move to prosecute cps workers for negligence followed by damages while we ignore the parental responsibility of women who allow their boyfriend du jour to beat, torture and rape their kids. Can't sue mom for damages though so there will be no one motivated by dollars to pursue them.

    CPS workers who fail at their jobs should be held responsible no doubt, but it is still ignoring the core issue. moo
    Most areas have that person, it's the governor or the children's ombudsman. But noone knows what these people do within the child welfare system or when to call them.

    IMO, one of the core issues is "worker discretion". It's a dated and unsafe concept. One worker can see a sink full of overflowing dirty dishes and think, "That's disgusting and unsafe." Another worker can see the same thing and think, "I've seen a lot worse."
    I think there have to be set rules and greater awareness of who is involved in the system besides just the social workers.
    No more worker discretion.
    No more judges who blindly agree with every recommendation of the CPS worker.
    No more absolute power with minimum responsibility and
    Full psychological histories and exams on each prospective worker to avoid the power seekers.

    Maybe then things will change.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

  25. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    6,553
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Most areas have that person, it's the governor or the children's ombudsman. But noone knows what these people do within the child welfare system or when to call them.

    IMO, one of the core issues is "worker discretion". It's a dated and unsafe concept. One worker can see a sink full of overflowing dirty dishes and think, "That's disgusting and unsafe." Another worker can see the same thing and think, "I've seen a lot worse."
    I think there have to be set rules and greater awareness of who is involved in the system besides just the social workers.
    No more worker discretion.
    No more judges who blindly agree with every recommendation of the CPS worker.
    No more absolute power with minimum responsibility and
    Full psychological histories and exams on each prospective worker to avoid the power seekers.

    Maybe then things will change.
    I am referring to something bigger and more involved than the govenor or ombudsman. More of an body/organization that has power to step in when needed that can be utilized when the system isn't working.

    You could utilize doctors, mental health professionals, attorneys a
    nd experienced foster parents (that have passed screening and commit to confidentiality) to review redflagged cases.

    An elected official or someone working for him has personal interest in not disclosing to the public that the system is not working. Their motivation is usually cya and the political impact. The type of resource I am talking about wouldn't be to investigate cps (though their findings could be used by the appropriate people to improve cps) their purpose would be to intervene in cases that are going off in a ditch. The ones that everyone sees happening but they don't have the "right" data for the worksheet for the judge, or they have an evasive slippery parent that needs more resources than an overloaded case worker can handle.

    Skilled CPS workers are a valuable resource and a limited one. Adding personal liablity to their plates when they have limited ability to intervene isn't going to attract more people to the field. It will just create a new type of professional liablity insurance policy for attorneys to pursue damages/dollars from. At the end of the day it will not protect children which is supposedly the goal.

    And that does not even consider how future social workers basing decisions on a personal liability trial will handle parents who are victims of false reports.

    moo

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to impatientredhead For This Useful Post:


  27. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,732
    Around here, all the CO does is point out when the system doesn't work....he gets paid for it.
    The problem with a review board is still discretion, at whose discretion is a child in trouble?

    A foster parent with minimal training? A review board of professionals, many of whom ae already corupt or self serving?

    Nah, the same problems will happen.

    Let's take away their Godlike power, bust the workers down to mere mortal status again, and see if the system we have would work if it were utilized properly. I feel it would, and at any rate, it will have to be tried before a new system is put in place or we would just return to this system later, saying that it would have worked if used correctly.

    And I really think that a lot of money is going to the wrong place, paying workers bonuses for removing kids was an idea, that failed miserably...48% of the kids in Wayne Co. MI living with non parent family/foster parents on CPS orders. But that's a whole different thread.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:


  29. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    6,553
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Around here, all the CO does is point out when the system doesn't work....he gets paid for it.
    The problem with a review board is still discretion, at whose discretion is a child in trouble?

    A foster parent with minimal training? A review board of professionals, many of whom ae already corupt or self serving?

    Nah, the same problems will happen.

    Let's take away their Godlike power, bust the workers down to mere mortal status again, and see if the system we have would work if it were utilized properly. I feel it would, and at any rate, it will have to be tried before a new system is put in place or we would just return to this system later, saying that it would have worked if used correctly.

    And I really think that a lot of money is going to the wrong place, paying workers bonuses for removing kids was an idea, that failed miserably...48% of the kids in Wayne Co. MI living with non parent family/foster parents on CPS orders. But that's a whole different thread.
    I think well screened foster parents who have experienced the system from another side are a totally untapped resource when looking at these cases. And the panel incorporating different types of experts would give a better chance of someone missing an indicator sign.

    I don't see social workers as being in some godlike role personally. I see their hands being tied by redtape and overruled by judges when they do manage to get the kids pulled. I have yet to see a case where a kid is pulled out of a home based on a social workers gut instinct and in absence of physical evidence, so I just don't see them as being very powerful.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to impatientredhead For This Useful Post:


  31. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
    Posts
    17,645
    In this case the thing that got me the worse is how Danieal's parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit. They're both charged with criminal complaints, but they go and file a lawsuit.

    Besides social services being charged there's also three family friend's being charged. According to our news when this all started they said the father almost never saw the child. I checked on our search here and I could have sworn I had a thread on this as soon as poor Danieal died.

    Here's a link of our Mayor running his yap. I usually pay no mind to what he says because he's a maroon. At the end of the article he explains that in the end the burden should be on the parents as it was their responsibility. I'm guessing same thing for the friends who saw this poor child almost daily. That would include her being emaciated. Laying in her own excrement and whatever else goes along with such a horrific thing.


    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/c...s_Parents.html

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:


  33. #19
    believe09's Avatar
    believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oh Captain, My Captain
    Posts
    26,323
    At the end of the day it was the child who paid the price-if your mayor is OK with that, well then glad he is not mine F!!!

    I came from a neighborhood where you a** could be beaten by whatever parent caught you misbehaving, and then you could expect something worse from your own parents. OK, so not everyone could smack you but you could be chastised and/or punished....and then expect your parents would hear about it.

    Why is the reverse not true? If your neighbor is beating his wife and kids, why can't you make a call? Not just me, of course but the collective we...why is that so bad I wonder? This stuff thrives in dark corners-why not shine a light?

    In MA we proposed that when there was a call to DSS, that child had to be taken to a physician for an exam if the claim was physical/sexual abuse. I found out later that some of the case workers allow the parent/suspect to make an appt with their own physician within a certain amount of time.

    People who actually do this job need to weigh in-what kind of time/effort would it take to bring these kids to a local ER for evaluation for a truly independent evaluation? The flip side is, how much would it save the state in terms of repeat visits for multiple complaints?

    Here is another example-I know someone who has custody of his kids and an open complaint with DSS. He told me his children do not have a pediatrician, in spite of being covered with Mass Health. One is 10 and one is 6. How is this possible? WHY does no one know that these kids have not seen Dr's and dentists?? And they could-MA has great coverage from the state...especially for kids.
    email me


    Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99


    Bob Harrod SAR


    “The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:


  35. #20
    believe09's Avatar
    believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oh Captain, My Captain
    Posts
    26,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    In this case the thing that got me the worse is how Danieal's parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit. They're both charged with criminal complaints, but they go and file a lawsuit.

    Besides social services being charged there's also three family friend's being charged. According to our news when this all started they said the father almost never saw the child. I checked on our search here and I could have sworn I had a thread on this as soon as poor Danieal died.

    Here's a link of our Mayor running his yap. I usually pay no mind to what he says because he's a maroon. At the end of the article he explains that in the end the burden should be on the parents as it was their responsibility. I'm guessing same thing for the friends who saw this poor child almost daily. That would include her being emaciated. Laying in her own excrement and whatever else goes along with such a horrific thing.


    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/c...s_Parents.html
    BBM. Ball* of steel these people have.
    email me


    Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99


    Bob Harrod SAR


    “The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:


  37. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
    Posts
    17,645
    An expert in neglected and abused children testified in court yesterday after reviewing Danieal's medical records.

    Cindy W. Christian who is a pediatrician said that the bed sores that poor Danieal had would have smelled so badly that it would knock a person back. So, obviously these "social workers" would have caught on to something besides the poor girl weighing only half of what she should have.

    Warning reading the link will make you angry. It's so sad.


    http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news.../84290497.html

  38. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Silicon Hills
    Posts
    9,230
    Girl’s death not a surprise to agency director

    By Nathan Gorenstein
    Posted on Tue, Feb. 16, 2010

    INQUIRER STAFF WRITER


    On the day Manuelita Buenaflor learned that 14-year-old Danieal Kelly had died, the social service administrator with two doctorate degrees was sad, but unsurprised.

    Buenaflor was the "quality assurance" director for the agency responsible for insuring the well-being of Kelly and hundreds of other children. But Buenaflor knew that the MultiEthnic Behavior Health Inc. workers regularly failed to make the home visits required by their contract with Philadelphia.

    "In my heart I said it was just a matter of time before this would happen," Buenaflor sobbed today in U.S. District Court, "My reminders were ignored."


    more here

    http://www.philly.com/inquirer/break..._director.html

    WTH???? She "reminded" someone w/ memos??
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~



    Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Social Workers visit McCanns, check on twins
    By christine2448 in forum Madeleine McCann
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 09:02 PM
  2. Paul Cortez Trial (starts Jan 22 2006)
    By mattsmom in forum Trials
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-04-2007, 10:22 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 02:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •