GUILTY TX - Jose, 3, & Guillermo Garcia, 1, stabbed to death, San Antonio, 2 Feb 2010

jnTexas

Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
Reaction score
http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news...s-policeI-just-killed-my-babies-83418777.html

The woman, 22, told officers "I just killed my babies" and she extended her arms to be handcuffed, appearing to be calm, according to McManus.

Police received an emergency call from the home around 5 p.m. Tuesday and discovered the boys, dressed and next to each other, on a bed, McManus said.

The children "looked like they were sleeping," the police chief said.

Police made previous calls to the home for family violence, records show. The father was in custody on an immigration-related charge, McManus said.

more at the link

the little boys were 1 and 3.

http://www.ksat.com/news/22416310/detail.html

When officers eventually got into the house, having to force their way in through a locked door, they found Colon's sons, Guillermo Garcia, 1, and Jose Luis Garcia, 3, lying next to each other in a bedroom, both stabbed to death.

Just as shocking as the news was for the neighbors, Colon's demeanor as police led her away was just as unsettling.

"She was not unstable, she was rather calm when the officers were talking to her," said Chief McManus.

"She had no expression on her face," said the anonymous resident. "Real somber, maybe she didn't know what she did."

Police said they knew of no prior reports of child abuse or related calls to the home but there have been visits there for domestic violence calls. Those calls, said McManus, involved altercations between the parents. The childrens' father, who is in the country illegally, is currently in jail.

More at the link

Why don't parents realize, in their muddled states, that any police officer, firefighter, or social worker will be more than happy to come pick up the babies if you call and say, "I'm going to kill my babies, now." Why?

Many of the parents seem to have great remorse afterwards. Many are said to have "lived" for the children and adored them. Oftentimes, the babies are well dressed and laid out. The murders must be excruciatingly horrid for the parent. Why put themselves through the pain? Why not simply have them taken away?

I feel like we need to post fliers in WalMarts and Safeways around the country addressing this growing problem. "If you are considering harming your child, call 911, simply explain your plan, and an officer will respond within 3 minutes." And detail what steps will be taken so the parents know what to expect. We do this with suicide prevention and STD prevention. Why not infanticide?

I'm reminded of the hoopla over the Chicago mom who left her healthy and well dressed baby at the police station. I'm still praising her actions. I think we need to hurry with the Relief Nurseries and/or extend the Safe Haven laws. We can't keep losing babies.

So sad. The Texas factor and calling the police after she did it made me think of makes me think of Andrea Yates. Prayers for this family.

Poor precious little angels :( So terrible. I don't even have any words.

Did I just read another case on here about a mother who turned herself in stating she had killed her two children, who were found in a bag in her car. WTH is going on??? This stuff is so hard to read.

Kids allegedly killed by mom ID'd
(S.A. Express-News story update)

According to a police incident report, officers were called to Colon's home in the 100 block of Weizmann Street, near Basse and Blanco roads, at 5 p.m. Tuesday. Upon arrival, a pair of officers encountered Colon at the gate.

“I asked (her), ‘What are we doing here?'” the report stated, and Colon put her hands behind her back. The officer asked again what happened, and Colon reportedly said, “I killed my babies.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Mother_jailed_in_slayings_of_her_sons.html

The baby is listed as one. I wonder how many months exactly. Are we looking at severe PPD which has gone untreated for quite a while? There's always new stressors when the littlest starts to walk. We know, there's been violence. She didn't plan this IMO, she just stepped over that line...the point of no return. It's heartbreaking that she DOES know what she just did.

Sleep, babies.

CPS Made Visits To House Prior To Killing
Simon Gutierrez, KSAT 12 News Reporter

POSTED: Wednesday, February 3, 2010
UPDATED: 5:18 pm CST February 3, 2010

SAN ANTONIO -- A 22-year-old woman who police said admitted to fatally stabbing her two young sons was being held Wednesday in the Bexar County Jail on $2 million bond.

An officer found the children inside the home with their bodies covered up, a cross placed on top and a knife lying next to them, McManus said.

On Wednesday, a representative for Child Protective Services said the agency was at Colon's home the day before the incident occurred.

The social worker who visited with Elyse Colon and her two kids the day before they children were killed said she saw no red flags and that Colon showed no signs of being emotional or angry.

Child Protective Services spokeswoman Mary Walker said the agency had three previous referrals on the family since 2006. The first was for drug usage when Colon's first baby was born. Colon tested negative then. In 2008, Colon and her husband were reported for an altercation at the hospital. Then the most recent for family violence in the home. Walker said there were no signs of physical abuse to the children.

Walker said the worker who visited with Colon the day before the murders said she seemed calm and friendly and was cooperating with CPS as usual.

"There was nothing screaming ... 'I'm going to hurt my kids," said Walker. "Nothing that there was a problem."

Walker said they offered a number of services to Colon for counseling after those reported domestic disputes. Walker said there were no other calls to CPS after Colon's husband was put in jail.

But Walker did say CPS was called to the Jose Luis' preschool, where teachers said they noticed some marks on the child. The social worker went out there and checked the child and said there was no bruising, just a rash.

Walker said CPS will continue to review the case.

more here

http://www.ksat.com/news/22422932/detail.html

Walker said a caseworker dropped off a check with Colon's landlord on Monday before visiting the family. The caseworker talked to Colon about finding a job, and gave her a list of temporary positions that did not require experience.

Walker said she didn't know how long the caseworker stayed at the home. There were never any grounds to remove the children from the mother's care, she said.

"It appears the mother was receptive, responsive and cooperative," Walker said.

more here

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/caseworker-went-to-texas-home-day-before-slayings-211205.html

My ex- is a CPS caseworker in S.A., and a good one. But sometimes you just do not know; and your ever-increasing caseload is always calling. And are things ever what they seem?

This just saddens me so much.....because I feel that the mother had no support from anyone-choices.....choices. Probably made wrong choices for years and it built up. Abandoned finally by all-people turned away from her. She tried to be stoic....She just fell apart...I am not defending her actions-I am thinking she was in some psychotic state when she did this damn it. And I am no bleeding heart-just agree with Miss that she desparately needed help-she probably has had a long fall from grace and .......here we are. The CPS worker who visited-who knows? Wonder how long the visit was. Sometimes social workers do the duty and are so overwhelmed with cases they overlook signs. Sounds like she did her best to buck this young mother up and encourage her. You know-once involved with CPS aperson's life gets much worse and if the resources are not there-the fear of losing the children cause you can't make a visit or a class or get a job......

I have to say....I don't know HOW in the world anyone could get that way that they would kill their children. I don't understand it. It has to be some sort of disassociation......I can't take it. I have to get off this thread.

This just saddens me so much.....because I feel that the mother had no support from anyone-choices.....choices. Probably made wrong choices for years and it built up. Abandoned finally by all-people turned away from her. She tried to be stoic....She just fell apart...I am not defending her actions-I am thinking she was in some psychotic state when she did this damn it. And I am no bleeding heart-just agree with Miss that she desparately needed help-she probably has had a long fall from grace and .......here we are. The CPS worker who visited-who knows? Wonder how long the visit was. Sometimes social workers do the duty and are so overwhelmed with cases they overlook signs. Sounds like she did her best to buck this young mother up and encourage her. You know-once involved with CPS aperson's life gets much worse and if the resources are not there-the fear of losing the children cause you can't make a visit or a class or get a job......

I would disagree with the statement that "once involved with CPS a person's life gets much worse." That is only the case if someone who, after all, has shown cause that state intervention should occur, is less than committed to, and/or less than honest with, the caseworker. Financial support, emotional support, scheduling for therapy and rehab programs, affordable child care possibilities, educational opportunities, and other positive reinforcements are readily available through CPS.

I would disagree with the statement that "once involved with CPS a person's life gets much worse." That is only the case if someone who, after all, has shown cause that state intervention should occur, is less than committed to, and/or less than honest with, the caseworker. Financial support, emotional support, scheduling for therapy and rehab programs, affordable child care possibilities, educational opportunities, and other positive reinforcements are readily available through CPS.

They are available, but CPS aren't doctors and aren't psychologists or psychiatrists. I also wonder if this was a severe case of PPD.

For anyone here who has parented, who knows if this mother had any support outside of CPS. I've never dealt with them, but the division of child support enforcement is available too.... and suffice to say look at how many billions of uncollected support is out there. The services are available but they aren't always sufficient and they don't always work.

I know as a parent, there were two times I called my parents, who thankfully lived close are retired and were able to come over immediately when I was so overwhelmed I simply started sobbing. I knew I wouldn't hurt my son but I was at the point I simply needed a break and I HAD to be by myself for a few hours. That was with one, not two or more..... I'm not trying to make excuses for this mother, but I know what it is like to be incredibly overwhelmed along with chronic situational depression at a time where mild depression would have been something I could have dealt with. I also wonder what I might have done if my depression had worsened ( and it was not ppd) and I had no family or friends to turn to at those moments I simply could not find any more strength to just not break down and sob.. before it got worse.

My prayers for those who loved these two little boys. May they be at peace with Lord.

no red flags. yeah whatever. same ol same ol

It would never have happened on your watch, I'm sure. Nor would the twenty others in your caseload ever escape your watchful eye, nor uncanny ability to read minds.

We all want everything to turn out right. But some actually do work in the field and attempt to modify for the better conditions so long out of control. To scoff at their failures does not erase the scores of thousands of daily successes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back