CA - Dr. Conrad Murray charged in the death of Michael Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://ontheredcarpet.typepad.com/o...-harsher-charge-against-dr-conrad-murray.html

Updated at 2:43 P.M.: OnTheRedCarpet.com has confirmed that Michael Jackson's personal physician Dr. Conrad Murray will appear in a Los Angeles Superior Courtroom at 1:30 P.M. on Friday.

A law enforcement source says prosecutors plan to charge Dr. Murray with involuntary manslaughter. Murray's attorneys say if that happens their client is ready to turn himself in.

Murray came to Los Angeles, California, last weekend and spent Tuesday afternoon meeting with his newly assembled team of three lawyers.

Meanwhile the Jackson family believes that involuntary manslaughter charges against the pop singer's physician would be "just a slap on the wrist."

Jackson hired Murray to be his personal physician as he prepared for a strenuous series of comeback performances in London. Murray gave Jackson propofol and sedatives, but says nothing he gave the singer should have killed him.

The King of Pop died at his Encino, California home on June 25, 2009.

http://ontheredcarpet.typepad.com/o...-harsher-charge-against-dr-conrad-murray.html

Updated at 2:43 P.M.: OnTheRedCarpet.com has confirmed that Michael Jackson's personal physician Dr. Conrad Murray will appear in a Los Angeles Superior Courtroom at 1:30 P.M. on Friday.

A law enforcement source says prosecutors plan to charge Dr. Murray with involuntary manslaughter. Murray's attorneys say if that happens their client is ready to turn himself in.

Murray came to Los Angeles, California, last weekend and spent Tuesday afternoon meeting with his newly assembled team of three lawyers.

Meanwhile the Jackson family believes that involuntary manslaughter charges against the pop singer's physician would be "just a slap on the wrist."

Jackson hired Murray to be his personal physician as he prepared for a strenuous series of comeback performances in London. Murray gave Jackson propofol and sedatives, but says nothing he gave the singer should have killed him.

From the article linked above (with thanks):

No, MJ was not at the family home in Encino at the time of his death. Too bad that the rest of the article is more than likely factual.

I look back on Michael's life, how an overly aggressive prosecutor in S.B. County went after him with a vengeance indeed; and yet the L.A. DA may let this so-called doctor get away with murder, literally.

What sort of message does this send?

Imagine if the victim/patient had been your own Mother.

Doctors should be held to a far higher standard; in fact, they usually are!

It makes no difference whether MJ wanted or insisted upon the drugs.

I'm 100% behind the Jackson Family on their take.

2nd degree Murder, at the very least!

jmo

No, MJ was not at the family home in Encino at the time of his death. Too bad that the rest of the article is more than likely factual.

I look back on Michael's life, how an overly aggressive prosecutor in S.B. County went after him with a vengeance indeed; and yet the L.A. DA may let this so-called doctor get away with murder, literally.

jmo

Didnt MJ Die of propofol poisoning??? I guess the DR's defense is going to be that he did not administer all of it?? That MJ administered it to himself???

the COD was homicide by acute propofol poisoning....hmmm

Didnt MJ Die of propofol poisoning??? I guess the DR's defense is going to be that he did not administer all of it?? That MJ administered it to himself???

the COD was homicide by acute propofol poisoning....hmmm

jmo

The death doesnt meet the requirements for a charge of 2nd degree murder though.

jmo

The death doesnt meet the requirements for a charge of 2nd degree murder though.

Thank you...but I believe even some of the THs would disagree with you. Your reasoning is...?

Thank you...but I believe even some of the THs would disagree with you. Your reasoning is...?

Because 2nd degree murder involves killing someone during the course of commiting a felony, and he didn't do that since as a physician he has the right to administer medication. There was no intent to harm the victim, so it isn't murder.

Because 2nd degree murder involves killing someone during the course of commiting a felony, and he didn't do that since as a physician he has the right to administer medication. There was no intent to harm the victim, so it isn't murder.

Because 2nd degree murder involves killing someone during the course of committing a felony, and he didn't do that since as a physician he has the right to administer medication. There was no intent to harm the victim, so it isn't murder.

That is only one prong that could bring second degree. The defendant doesn't have to be committing another felony. That is just one instance where they can be charged.

I do think they could have charged Murray with second degree but I do understand that would be a harder case to prove.

Second Degree Murder Laws
Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being, or a fetus, with malice aforethought. There are two types of murder: murder in the first degree and murder in the second degree. In order to bring murder charges, the victim must die within a year of the crime causing his death. Murder is defined in Penal Code Section 187.

Murder of the second degree is similar to murder of the first degree, except the element of premeditation does not have to be proven. All that is required is subjective awareness on the part of the defendant that his conduct is dangerous to human life. Second degree murder is such a killing without premeditation, as in the heat of passion or in a sudden quarrel or fight.

Malice in second degree murder may be implied from a death due to the reckless lack of concern for the life of others (such as firing a gun into a crowd or bashing someone with any deadly weapon). Under California law, the penalty for second-degree murder is life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

Depending on the circumstances and state laws, murder in the first or second degree may be chargeable to a person who did not actually kill, but was involved in a crime with a partner who actually did the killing or someone died as the result of the crime. For example, in a liquor store stick-up in which the clerk shoots back at the hold-up man and kills a bystander, the armed robber can be convicted of at least second degree murder.

http://www.squidoo.com/seconddegreemurder

Because 2nd degree murder involves killing someone during the course of committing a felony, and he didn't do that since as a physician he has the right to administer medication. There was no intent to harm the victim, so it isn't murder.

That is only one prong that could bring second degree. The defendant doesn't have to be committing another felony. That is just one instance where they can be charged.

I do think they could have charged Murray with second degree but I do understand that would be a harder case to prove.

Second Degree Murder Laws
Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being, or a fetus, with malice aforethought. There are two types of murder: murder in the first degree and murder in the second degree. In order to bring murder charges, the victim must die within a year of the crime causing his death. Murder is defined in Penal Code Section 187.

Murder of the second degree is similar to murder of the first degree, except the element of premeditation does not have to be proven. All that is required is subjective awareness on the part of the defendant that his conduct is dangerous to human life. Second degree murder is such a killing without premeditation, as in the heat of passion or in a sudden quarrel or fight.

Malice in second degree murder may be implied from a death due to the reckless lack of concern for the life of others (such as firing a gun into a crowd or bashing someone with any deadly weapon). Under California law, the penalty for second-degree murder is life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

Depending on the circumstances and state laws, murder in the first or second degree may be chargeable to a person who did not actually kill, but was involved in a crime with a partner who actually did the killing or someone died as the result of the crime. For example, in a liquor store stick-up in which the clerk shoots back at the hold-up man and kills a bystander, the armed robber can be convicted of at least second degree murder.

http://www.squidoo.com/seconddegreemurder

Simple def, from FindLaw:

BBM

Second-degree murder is ordinarily defined as 1) an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion" or 2) a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/crimes/a-z/murder_second_degree.html

BBM

Second-degree murder is ordinarily defined as 1) an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion" or 2) a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life.

BBM

There is the flaw in your argument, while Murray's conduct may have been dangerous (and hence the manslaughter charge) there is no evidence that it was motivated by "the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life".

Sorry, IMO there is no way this should be a murder charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46