Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada - Lachlan Cranswick, 41, Deep River near Ottawa ON, 18 Jan 2010 - #1

Quote Originally Posted by Summersolstice View Post
    Do you think it's possible that AECL employs graduates of the nuclear engineering program from RMC?
    Not only possible, but they do. Also graduates of similar programs at McMaster, U of T, and many other universities in Canada and other countries. (Foreign scientists require extensive security checks.)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safetytwin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by safetytwin View Post
    There are lots of qualified pilots locally. One of them owns the airstrip. Probably someone he knew took him up for a flight.

Night-time walks with a GPS are not that strange an activity for an obsessive, nerdy scientist. The healthy fear is more of getting lost - not at all difficult in the bush around Deep River, even quite close to trails.
    Precisely!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Night-time walks with a GPS? Not a typical Canadian winter activity. But then again, people who live in Canada have a healthy fear of the wildlife.
    respectfully snipped by me

The following is from LC page. The safety advice for bears (garbage disposal) might only be for summer time; he might not take the same precautions in winter time.

General advice received from those who claim to know (including Winter options)

"Bears:
    Along with the nice weather also comes the bears. I have been informed that several bears have been sited on Jennings road. Please be extra careful with children when at Old Mackey's Park. Bears are attracted to any food source. If that attractant is removed, the nuisance bear problem usually disappears. Property owners, cottagers, campers and local residents can minimize the chance of encountering bears by following some simple steps:"

* Store garbage in steel bear-proof containers, or in airtight containers inside a storage area that is not accessible to bears.
    * Put garbage out on the morning of collection, not the night before
    * Wash garbage containers and dumpsters frequently and use disinfectant to cut odours
    * Wait until fall to fill birdfeeders
    * Do not leave pet food outdoors
    * Clean outdoor grills after every use
    * Do not put meat, fish or sweet goods in your composter
    * Rinse containers before disposal
    * Keep meat scraps in the freezer until garbage pick up day
    * Do not feed any wildlife
    * Always be alert for signs of bear activity
    source : http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/chalk_river/travel.html
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

I wonder what LC's coworkers think of his disappearance. I'm sure they don't think he fell in the River.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maxfactor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by maxfactor View Post
    I wonder what LC's coworkers think of his disappearance. I'm sure they don't think he fell in the River.
    This letter to the editor is in the latest issue of the North Renfrew Times (Deep River weekly paper) http://www.magma.ca/~drcanrt/letters2.html
    The print edition included a photo of Lachlan. I imagine his coworkers feel much the same.

WRT bears - they are currently hibernating so not an issue (but could be in the spring when the sows have young cubs). It is not unusual for bears to appear around town in late summer, especially if it is a poor season for the natural food supply (berries, etc.). There are wolves in the area, and they are active during the winter, but would probably prefer a nice juicy deer (of which there are plenty) to a skinny scientist.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to safetytwin For This Useful Post:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Je...n-mvc-006f.jpg
    Something I came across,,what a talented man.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

This letter to the editor is in the latest issue of the North Renfrew Times (Deep River weekly paper) http://www.magma.ca/~drcanrt/letters2.html
    The print edition included a photo of Lachlan. I imagine his coworkers feel much the same.

WRT bears - they are currently hibernating so not an issue (but could be in the spring when the sows have young cubs). It is not unusual for bears to appear around town in late summer, especially if it is a poor season for the natural food supply (berries, etc.). There are wolves in the area, and they are active during the winter, but would probably prefer a nice juicy deer (of which there are plenty) to a skinny scientist.
    It's the fear of animal attacks that keeps people I know from wandering the trails at night: cougars (apparently even seen around London, ON), coyotes that have become habituated to humans, that kind of thing. Obviously, LC did not have that fear, or those animals aren't around Deep River.

LC carried his GPS when he went walking, so that dealt with the fear of getting lost.

I believe an animal attack would have left some signs.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Hi everyone.....I have just come across this forum and I can tell you that we have not heard a thing about this in australia......

I find this really really strange......if there is an australian missing and suspiciously at that we hear about it here......it happens quite often......

In fact I find this whole case very strange and my imagination has gone into overdrive.....cover ups, spys, get rid of the scientist who discovered something he shouldnt have.......you know the type of stuff that will be made into a movie in a couple of years....

His dissapearance might be something very simple but it all seems too suss to me....

This is geek who was I hope this does not offend, but what we jokingly call anal.......he never went out without his gps or phone and yet both were found in the house and the door was unlocked!!!!! this is not the type of guy who would just go for his daily walk without these items or locking the door....

I think something happened in the house.......maybe he was taken or a home invasion........

will keep my eyes on the news
    REVAMPZ

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to revampz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    respectfully snipped by me

The following is from LC page. The safety advice for bears (garbage disposal) might only be for summer time; he might not take the same precautions in winter time.

source : http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/chalk_river/travel.html
    So we see he was meticulous about the placement and rules about garbage.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by revampz View Post
    Hi everyone.....I have just come across this forum and I can tell you that we have not heard a thing about this in australia......

I find this really really strange......if there is an australian missing and suspiciously at that we hear about it here......it happens quite often......

In fact I find this whole case very strange and my imagination has gone into overdrive.....cover ups, spys, get rid of the scientist who discovered something he shouldnt have.......you know the type of stuff that will be made into a movie in a couple of years....

His dissapearance might be something very simple but it all seems too suss to me....

This is geek who was I hope this does not offend, but what we jokingly call anal.......he never went out without his gps or phone and yet both were found in the house and the door was unlocked!!!!! this is not the type of guy who would just go for his daily walk without these items or locking the door....

I think something happened in the house.......maybe he was taken or a home invasion........

will keep my eyes on the news
    :Welcome-12-june:

Nice to know you've found the discussion. Please let us know if you see anything in the news!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

I hope Lachlan Cranswick is found soon.

We All Do @ Found Soon .. Nice Genuine Person

http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/

http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/whatsnew.htm << I think we all recognize LC'S coding. Nice job of it .. perhaps his homepage suffered a bit as a consequence.

http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/about.htm

http://www.iucr.org/resources/commis...ool/organisers

http://www.iucr.org/resources/commis...chool/contacts

http://www.iucr.org/resources/commis...result_page=10

wonder what he was up to during these time-outs in 2008 V V V

Last edited by HAL9001; 02-25-2010 at 10:40 PM.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HAL9001 For This Useful Post:

closeup picture (click on picture twice)

My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much for that link. We have been so worried about our missing scientist and it's good to see that people close to him won't give up searching for him.
    Last edited by maxfactor; 02-25-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: sp

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxfactor For This Useful Post:

another close-up picture (click on picture twice) ----------------------------------> LC and laptop

★ Thank you ★

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

HAL9001 and Hazel - many thanks for finding and posting these great pics of Lachlan. It is nice to see a bit of his sociable side and a hint of his sharp sense of humour.

Thanks to all on this forum for caring so much about someone whom you have probably never met. All who knew Lachlan, and many who didn't, are shocked and disturbed at his disappearance. The official search has ended for now, but the unofficial search will continue until an answer is found. There are many people who will not forget.

(I was acquainted with him, but did not know him well.)

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to safetytwin For This Useful Post:

Digging out snow for a path in the driveway - 9th March 2008

This is LC's home .... his driveway .... he even took pictures of his garbage bins! (click on pictures)

more pictures here : http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/chalk...008/index.html

---> LC's shadow in picture #2 ... car inside garage.
    ★ Thank you ★

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

HAL9001 and Hazel - many thanks for finding and posting these great pics of Lachlan. It is nice to see a bit of his sociable side and a hint of his sharp sense of humour.

Thanks to all on this forum for caring so much about someone whom you have probably never met. All who knew Lachlan, and many who didn't, are shocked and disturbed at his disappearance. The official search has ended for now, but the unofficial search will continue until an answer is found. There are many people who will not forget.

Many Thanks to you again safetytwin for coming here and sharing with us details about LC and his bizarre disappearance. Thank you also for that last link to the letter you posted; shows that many people in DR are concerned and not giving up on looking for LC. It was very sad reading the last newspaper headlines, and is good to know that is not the case. Hopefully LC is still around, lost, maybe hit his head, has temporary amnesia, and someone gave him a ride somewhere. He has to be somewhere, he cannot just vanish into thin air. Please keep us updated of anything new; you are our eyes and ears.
    ★ Thank you ★

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Deep River Police Should search all homes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Many Thanks to you again safetytwin for coming here and sharing with us details about LC and his bizarre disappearance. Thank you also for that last link to the letter you posted; shows that many people in DR are concerned and not giving up on looking for LC. It was very sad reading the last newspaper headlines, and is good to know that is not the case. Hopefully LC is still around, lost, maybe hit his head, has temporary amnesia, and someone gave him a ride somewhere. He has to be somewhere, he cannot just vanish into thin air. Please keep us updated of anything new; you are our eyes and ears.
    I have a feeling a small town Police Force wouldn't have thought to do a home to home search. ??? Or call in help in this case?

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fats For This Useful Post:

Do you think it's possible that AECL employs graduates of the nuclear engineering program from RMC?
    Well,in the RMC link provided earlier,a former employee of AECL works at RMC.
    Dr. S.G in the field of Thermalhydraulics application for nuclear engineering.
    Thinking about L.C.'s silent machine video.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Lachlan has left his personality out there for all of us to see. He is a "virtual acquaintance".

Thank you for continuing the search. All the great minds in Deep River are the best resource he could have on his side. I am sure the answers are out there, and probably hiding in a computer somewhere. The story of Lachlan's disappearance does not make sense.

Please keep us posted from time to time.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fats View Post
    I have a feeling a small town Police Force wouldn't have thought to do a home to home search. ??? Or call in help in this case?
    Police visited homes on Summit and nearby streets and interviewed the residents. To actually search would require at a minimum the permission of the homeowner, otherwise a warrant (except in certain emergency cases like a fire). I am not a legal expert, but everything seems to have been done by the book. Lachlan's house was secured (cordoned off by police tape, 24-hr police guard) until a warrant was obtained and a full search could be done.

The evidence search and collection at the house was done by the OPP Upper Ottawa Valley Crime Unit. The OPP Search and Rescue team (helicopters, snowmobiles, etc.) and Canine Unit conducted the search of bush and river. Additionally there were many civilian searchers who participated (and continue to do so).

There may well be other investigations going on by agencies unnamed who could well have an interest in the case but no interest in speaking to the media.

43. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to safetytwin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    Well,in the RMC link provided earlier,a former employee of AECL works at RMC.
    Dr. S.G in the field of Thermalhydraulics application for nuclear engineering.
    Thinking about L.C.'s silent machine video.

Nothing particularly exotic here. There has been long-time co-operation between AECL and RMC and other universities on scientific issues. Researchers move in both directions, scientific information is shared, graduate students visit to do work, etc. etc. Thermalhydraulics is a useful discipline in nuclear engineering - think of all the circulating hot water in a power reactor system.

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safetytwin For This Useful Post:

Lachlan has left his personality out there for all of us to see. He is a "virtual acquaintance".

Thank you for continuing the search. All the great minds in Deep River are the best resource he could have on his side. I am sure the answers are out there, and probably hiding in a computer somewhere. The story of Lachlan's disappearance does not make sense.

Please keep us posted from time to time.
    Thank you for your thoughts. I agree the answers are somewhere, and sooner or later the information will be found that makes sense of it all.

If anything new turns up, I'll post it here.

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to safetytwin For This Useful Post:

Police visited homes on Summit and nearby streets and interviewed the residents. To actually search would require at a minimum the permission of the homeowner, otherwise a warrant (except in certain emergency cases like a fire). I am not a legal expert, but everything seems to have been done by the book. Lachlan's house was secured (cordoned off by police tape, 24-hr police guard) until a warrant was obtained and a full search could be done.

The evidence search and collection at the house was done by the OPP Upper Ottawa Valley Crime Unit. The OPP Search and Rescue team (helicopters, snowmobiles, etc.) and Canine Unit conducted the search of bush and river. Additionally there were many civilian searchers who participated (and continue to do so).

There may well be other investigations going on by agencies unnamed who could well have an interest in the case but no interest in speaking to the media.
    Thank you for this information.

I think that this case is being investigated at a higher level. There are things that such an agency would have access to, like:

- LC's last computer entry: made at work, or from home?
    - LC's last access to the AECL site. I'm assuming this involves an access code/card pass/security scans;
    - information about visitors to AECL;
    - the complete forensic analysis of his work computer;
    - places LC has lived in Deep River, and elsewhere;
    - did LC rent or own this and previous residences? If renting, who owned this and previous residences?
    - details of LC's personal life.

For all that is out there about LC, there are gaps. Snowball and I don't even know if he had any pets.

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast