Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada - Lachlan Cranswick, 41, Deep River near Ottawa ON, 18 Jan 2010 - #1

another missing man

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maxfactor For This Useful Post:

Hunt continues for identity of torched remains

Updated: Fri Feb. 12 2010 16:56:50

Seems LE are investigating to see if there is a connection between the remains found inside the burnt car and the missing 41 year old Eganville man.

, but so far they say there's no evidence linking the two cases.
    more : http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Summersolstice View Post
    I've noticed a recurring theme in the forums lately: water.

RW's parents in a yacht club. RW letting a boat slip away because he didn't tie a knot properly. People missing, and assumed to have slipped into the water. Joe Grozelle.
    I was skimming through North Renfrew Times Story Archive, and this article caught my attention:

Welcome to “Chlorine Creek”
    January 20, 2010
    In case you have not noticed yet, as many other citizens have, Deep River now has two tiny creeks - one in the east end and one in the west - the source being open hydrants at the two water main dead ends, one on Banting Drive near the hospital and one beside 33736 Highway 17, right at the Pinewood Place 1 sign.
    The east end water goes into a manhole beside the hydrant which is just a culvert which exits on the Banting fire cut beside the garage at 19 Banting Drive.

This creates Chlorine Creek which floods the forest behind Banting Drive along with sections of the hiking/skiing/snow shoeing trails there, bringing it to the notice of anyone using those trails.

A bit of trenching by some locals and some planks for the snowshoers have temporarily restored the Banting trails.

Eventually the water may cut a channel from the culvert to the drainage ditch some hundred meters down the cut and hopefully the Banting forest will return to normal (which is wet enough, thanks).

The west end hydrant water just runs into the forest there where it eventually seeps into the sand.
    read more : http://www.magma.ca/~drcanrt/100120creek.html
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Human remains found in car ID'd

By KENNETH JACKSON, Ottawa Sun
    Last Updated: February 17 2010, 7:06pm

Police have identified the human remains found in a burned out car near Pembroke but don’t suspect foul play.

Robert Verch, 41, of Eganville had been reported missing when members of the Ontario Provincial Police responded to a car fire on Trail Blazers Rd. in North Algona Wilberforce Township on Feb. 10.

The 2001 Toyota Highlander had been destroyed by fire and human remains were found inside.

A post mortem examination conducted on Tuesday identified the human remains as Verch.

The exact cause of death has not been determined and is pending further examination and tests, police said.

Investigators said it’s an isolated incident and foul play is not suspected.
    R.I.P. Robert Verch

If cause of death has not been determined, how can LE say they do not suspect foul play? How did the fire start?
    ★ Thank you ★

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Thanks Hazel! No word at all about Lachlan though. I find it odd that the requests for information about him from other scientists on the web seemed to stop around Jan 26. I wonder if LE is still looking for him.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maxfactor For This Useful Post:

Could it be that information garnered before Jan. 26 ,led investigators to the conclusion that suicide or an alternative lifestyle played a role in this mystery?
    Just a thought,could there be any" sink holes "created by runoff waters ?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    Could it be that information garnered before Jan. 26 ,led investigators to the conclusion that suicide or an alternative lifestyle played a role in this mystery?
    Just a thought,could there be any" sink holes "created by runoff waters ?
    I think LE should look for any of the usual reasons people disappear, and that includes all of the above. Hazel's post about "Chlorine Creek" and local trails seems to provide a valuable clue. There are also the other, less likely but possible scenarios.

Just so I get this straight, Lachlan Cranswick's area of specialization was on the disposal of nuclear waste side of things? And that would mean waste water? Not to mention geological disposal of nuclear waste?
    Last edited by Summersolstice; 02-19-2010 at 02:30 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

I believe that Lachlan Cranswick must have had a wicked dry sense of humor, based on the utopian description of Chalk River here:

http://www.sns.gov/workshops/nmi3/pr.../cranswick.pdf

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Wouldn't a person such as Lachlan Cranswick have a national security file somewhere? Here is a foreign national working at a nuclear plant. It has occurred to me that a certain agency would have a file on him, which could be of use to local investigators. Does anyone know if local police would ever be able to get information from such a file to aid in a missing person investigation?

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

I'm confused about the timeline. Earlier reports said he was reported missing when he didn't show up for work. Since he was last seen on Monday, January 18, 2010, wouldn't his co-workers report him missing the next day?

This article says his case wasn't investigated until after he failed to show up for the curling tournament:

http://www.nationalpost.com/related/...tml?id=2519540

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Judge for yourself, but here is some insight into some of the issues surrounding Chalk River and Canada's international role in the disposal of nuclear waste. Obviously the source has its own agenda:

http://www.cnp.ca/issues/high-level-waste.html

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Another Scientist Out for a Stroll

Once again, I mention the case of this scientist in India:

http://www.truthout.org/062409D

It seems that nuclear scientists should not go out for a stroll.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Here's why special interest groups might take an interest in the disposal of nuclear waste:

http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Mag...afficking.html

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8402321.stm
    This nuclear scientist was from Iran

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Unhappy

Police give up search for missing nuclear scientist

<snip>

Now, a month after he was last seen, police say they have done everything they can to find him, but they still have no idea where he is.

“We're at the end of all the possible information we have received,” said Const. Darin Faris, the Deep River Police officer leading the investigation. “There has been no information from the public that has helped.”

more here

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...lear-scientist
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Cranswick's family declined to comment when contacted in Australia by the Star, but said the scientist's brother had been in Canada for over a week looking for him.

Well, I am glad his brother is here . The police statement was not very tactful.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Weapons

This link may be relevant:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4831150&postcount=276"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased Canada - Jessica Lloyd, 27, Belleville, Ontario 01/28/2010 thread #2[/ame]

An expert in x-ray crystallography computing could be a useful resource in locating sources of radiation. Failing that, perhaps the military could make use of this book:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=vNJr...nswick&f=false
    Last edited by Summersolstice; 02-19-2010 at 11:55 PM.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post

<snip>

Now, a month after he was last seen, police say they have done everything they can to find him, but they still have no idea where he is.

“We're at the end of all the possible information we have received,” said Const. Darin Faris, the Deep River Police officer leading the investigation. “There has been no information from the public that has helped.”

more here

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...lear-scientist
    Very strange, isn't it? I hope they come to WS. Seems like their conclusions are somewhat superficial.
    Last edited by Summersolstice; 02-19-2010 at 11:41 PM.

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

It seems kind of odd to me that this case has been left in the hands of the local police. No OPP? No RCMP? Due to the nature of LC's work, I'd expect his disappearance to be a higher priority.

I don't expect that a local police department would have the time, manpower or expertise to do a forensic computer analysis on LC's home computer and the one at the office. I expect the one at the office is high security and they'd be denied access.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

It seems kind of odd to me that this case has been left in the hands of the local police. No OPP? No RCMP? Due to the nature of LC's work, I'd expect his disappearance to be a higher priority.

I don't expect that a local police department would have the time, manpower or expertise to do a forensic computer analysis on LC's home computer and the one at the office. I expect the one at the office is high security and they'd be denied access.
    It's a very sad state of affairs when a scientist of this caliber goes missing and the local police handle the case. Surely a higher power is investigating this and are just keeping it to themselves? Very sad case, he seems like a very interesting man.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maxfactor For This Useful Post:

Very strange, isn't it? I hope they come to WS. Seems like their conclusions are somewhat superficial.
    Perhaps we should be sending them some of the links we have found, although I suspect LE does check in here at WS.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maxfactor For This Useful Post:

Police dismissed any connection to the case of Col. Russell Williams, the CFB Trenton commander charged with murder. Although he grew up in the area and both his father and stepfather worked at the same nuclear facility as Cranswick, Faris said Cranswick, a middle-aged man, doesn't fit the profile of Williams' alleged victims, both younger women.

If Cranswick had been murdered or accidentally killed, Faris said there would be some physical evidence left behind. Police have found none.
    Have they been reading WS or did they also think there could have been a connection. It might not fit Williams' alleged victims, but the disappearing in the middle of the night, leaving everything behind, car in driveway, etc, sure fits IMHO.
    ★ Thank you ★

44. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

CFB Petawawa is 16 miles from Deep River

I'd say there are a lot of odd coincidences. For example, the RW stepfather connection to Chalk River, where Lachlan worked. And the fact that RW was commander of this air force base:

http://www.trentonian.ca/ArticleDisp...true&e=1187471

Did you notice this from the Toronto Star article quoted above:

"'I spent my career doing things right and avoiding things that were wrong. But here, I can’t figure out what went wrong,' Sovka told the Globe and Mail in an interview from France, where he is now project manager for ITER, a $14.3 billion nuclear fusion project."

And how about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1462408/
    Just wanted to point out that there is a CFB very close to Deep River. Sometimes soldiers rent accomodation and reside in Deep River even though they are based in Petawawa. Could RW have been in Petawawa on business and then decide to take a midnight drive to Deep River (to go down memory lane to his childhood home) and kill a scientist while he was at it???

46. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fats For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Have they been reading WS or did they also think there could have been a connection. It might not fit Williams' alleged victims, but the disappearing in the middle of the night, leaving everything behind, car in driveway, etc, sure fits IMHO.
    Do they really know the full scope of R.W.'s MO,?Who truly does ,considering the amount of time he was completely under the radar,advancing in his career like an unstoppable rocket ?Just ' cause he admitted to the alleged crimes( caught !)does not mean that he is now a forthright man who's MO(and sexuality) is completely revealed and understood.

48. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Another commonality: it was a weeknight. As we know, RW's wife spent weekends at the cottage in Tweed, or he went to their home in Ottawa.

And another: gone without a trace, no evidence left at the scene. But we all know what Snowball says about that, right? "Look for cat hair. Each cat's DNA is unique." Thank you, Snowball.

I am a firm believer that a serial killer can have more than one MO and more than one type of victim. MO depends on the circumstances. Circumstances change. Selecting a victim depends on the perp's motivation. Anger at nuclear scientists could be a motivation.

50. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast