1007 users online (244 members and 763 guests)  

Websleuths News

Silicon Hills

CO - Motel gives sex offender keys to every room

AURORA - The Sleep Inn near Denver International Airport fired its housekeeping manager after a 9Wants To Know investigation, but the motel refused to say if it will begin doing criminal background checks on employees.

The manager, Edward "Eddie" Quintana, 65, has several misdemeanor sex crime convictions.

Quintana, a Denver resident, had worked at the motel on East 40th Avenue near North Chambers Road for more than a year without his superiors learning about his past.

"I wasn't aware of it. That's the bottom line," Eric Lee, the hotel's owner, said. "I'm just dumbfounded."

9Wants To Know Investigator Kyle Clark learned that Lee and the Sleep Inn did not discover Quintana's criminal history because they never checked.

Publicly-accessible records available online outline Quintana's past.

Motel management initially denied that Quintana was a registered sex offender, but later backed off that claim and admitted that no motel employees are subject to criminal background checks.

more here

What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS

Around here somewhere
    My mother travels as part of her job, at least 9 months of the year, she stays in hotels. She has been to Sleep Inns in several different areas, and it was one of the places that I didn't worry too much.

For Christmas, I bought her a motel room alarm. One side attachs to each side of the door and when you open it, it lets out the most ungodly noise, unless you turn it off first. I call her every night to remind her to set it. And, now, I don't feel like a paranoid fool for sending it to her.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

We bought a motor home two years ago so I could go to the Mayo Clinic for two weeks of testing. We'd always enjoyed staying in motels and hotels. I was a little hesitant about the motorhome thing. Well, I'm a total convert. I sleep so soundly and feel so safe. I could never go back to motels again. Especially when I know the Craigslist girls and their pimps and johns are in the next room!! I'd far rather wake up and see a buffalo out my window (or even a WalMart) than a SO standing at the door with his keys. Yikes.