Peterson lawyer wants files unsealed- District attorney objects to pre-appeal request

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Scott Peterson's criminal case will return to Stanislaus County this year after his appellate attorney asked the court to unseal evidence used to convict the Modesto man of murder.

Peterson, 37, arrived on death row in March 2005 after being found guilty of murdering his pregnant wife, Laci, and their unborn son, Conner, in December 2002.

The death sentence levied against Peterson means his case automatically will be appealed to the California Supreme Court.

Oakland-based attorney Cliff Gardner applied for an order Jan. 22 to unseal all trial exhibits so he can review and photograph them. The extensive trial record includes more than 30,000 pages of documents, and the process could take years, court officials said.
The Stanislaus County district attorney's office objected to the proposal.

"The sealed items were sealed for several reasons and usually with the consent of or at the request of the defense trial team," the district attorney's response read.

Superior Court Judge Scott Steffen will preside over the hearing, but no date has been set.

more here

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/1036318.html

Give me a break.Scott Peterson is a cold,calculating monster who murdered his beautiful wife Laci and wonderful,precious son Connor without A second thought.He planned that murder so he could be free to have a girlfriend and such.He deserves to either be executed or to sit in prison for the rest of his life!!

"Oakland-based attorney Cliff Gardner applied for an order Jan. 22 to unseal all trial exhibits so he can review and photograph them. The extensive trial record includes more than 30,000 pages of documents, and the process could take years, court officials said."

What exactly is he looking for? Wouldn't he have to be more specific in order to possibly have this request granted? :waitasec: MOO

It has been a long time since I read anything about Scott Peterson, although I was very active on Websleuths during that entire case (it is the case that brought me to WS).

Recently, I was thinking about the references to surveillance video in the Peterson neighborhood that was part of the evidence but was not made public presumably due to its importance in another ongoing case. Did anything ever come out about that video? Why was there a surveillance going on outside the Peterson house in December 2002? Was it ever made known if the video showed Scott putting Laci's body into his truck or some other incriminating act? Any chance that there will ever be a full report on this extra dimension to the case?

ETA: This is the only article I could locate that talks about the FBI surveillance videos. It does not verify the existence of the videos but the assumption is that if they exist the camera was set up in January, after Laci's disappearance. And yet Geragos was arguing that something on the tape could exonerate Scott and that it could show that burglars of a neighbor's house were responsible for killing Laci (which implies that there is video from Dec 25th). I don't think for a minute that anybody other than Scott was responsible. I am just curious if the contents of those tapes (ID they exist) were ever made public.
http://www.modbee.com/2003/11/08/126556/did-fbi-film-peterson-home.html

It has been a long time since I read anything about Scott Peterson, although I was very active on Websleuths during that entire case (it is the case that brought me to WS).

Recently, I was thinking about the references to surveillance video in the Peterson neighborhood that was part of the evidence but was not made public presumably due to its importance in another ongoing case. Did anything ever come out about that video? Why was there a surveillance going on outside the Peterson house in December 2002? Was it ever made known if the video showed Scott putting Laci's body into his truck or some other incriminating act? Any chance that there will ever be a full report on this extra dimension to the case?

ETA: This is the only article I could locate that talks about the FBI surveillance videos. It does not verify the existence of the videos but the assumption is that if they exist the camera was set up in January, after Laci's disappearance. And yet Geragos was arguing that something on the tape could exonerate Scott and that it could show that burglars of a neighbor's house were responsible for killing Laci (which implies that there is video from Dec 25th). I don't think for a minute that anybody other than Scott was responsible. I am just curious if the contents of those tapes (ID they exist) were ever made public.
http://www.modbee.com/2003/11/08/126556/did-fbi-film-peterson-home.html

Does anyone know if those tapes were made public?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back