Only living American WWI vet turns 109 in W.Va.

Dark Knight

Reaction score
CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. – America's last surviving World War I veteran is now 109.

Frank Woodruff Buckles celebrated his birthday Monday with family and friends at his home in West Virginia.

Buckles, who was born in Harrison County, Mo., says he hopes to celebrate at least a few more.

And he has one wish that he's waiting on Congress to grant: Buckles wants to see the dedication of a new World War I memorial in Washington, D.C.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_world_war_i_survivor

I hope they agree to a WW1 memorial before he dies. What's the problem with that?

Thanks for posting DK! Isn't it amazing to think of all of the changes this man has seen over his lifetime. When he went off to fight in WWI cars were a new novelty. He was alive when the Titanic sunk. He has seen the invention of the television and 'talkie' movies. Amazing. Being a history 'buff' I would love to sit down and pick his brain for a while.

Happy Birthday Frank. And Washington, do the right thing and get a memorial built stat!

Thanks for posting DK! Isn't it amazing to think of all of the changes this man has seen over his lifetime. When he went off to fight in WWI cars were a new novelty. He was alive when the Titanic sunk. He has seen the invention of the television and 'talkie' movies. Amazing. Being a history 'buff' I would love to sit down and pick his brain for a while.

It really is something when you sit and talk to someone who has lived so very long.My grandfather is still alive and on Feb.2 he turned 106 and still is doing very well.We gave him a tape recorder to make sure his stories live on, that was when he turned 100 lol.He says he wants to make it to 111 and he is stubborn so we all feel he just might make it.:angel:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back