GUILTY AL - Todd Brown, 14, fatally shot by classmate at Madison school, 5 Feb 2010

ah, I read about this from a girls journal on another site I frequent. She lives in the area and said it was rumored to be gang related because the victim posted a YouTube video "dissing" the shooter, and the shooter told the victim he'd kill him.

I'm just amazed at the statement to CNN by the police chief. He said, despite the shooting, the schools were safe.

Sorry, but I totally disagree. When a student can smuggle a gun into a school and kill another student, the schools in Madison, AL are not safe.

Additionally, the previous post alluded to a gang connection. Principals, teachers, etc. are aware of known gang members.

Rest in peace, Todd.

ToddBrown.jpg

Discovery Middle School Shooting Victim Dies

[snip]

While authorities have not cited a motive, another student told WAAY-TV, a CNN affiliate, of a possible reason for the shooting. "It was some discussion about gang-related things and the shooter just got fed up with it," said student Jeremy Tuttle.

Madison, Alabama is a small town of around 36 - 37,000 people in northern Alabama. Discovery Middle School covers grades 7-9. No others, either faculty or students, were hurt in the incident, authorities added.

A number of Todd Brown support groups have appeared on Facebook since the incident. The photo above is from one of them. A special community meeting is also planned at Bob Jones High School on Sunday at 2 PM.

http://www.huliq.com/3257/91242/discovery-middle-school-shooting-victim-dies

God bless these families as they deal with this senseless trajedy!

I live in the same county--- Madison is a safe town with low crime. Very family friendly. This is so sad--Have heard gang related, not gang related.
i know that there are gangs every where but it is not big in Madison, just no signs of it anywhere. The school system is one of the best in Alabama.

Judge will determine Monday whether suspect in Madison school shooting should be tried as an adult

The future of a Discovery Middle School student charged in the shooting death of a fellow classmate will be determined Monday at 1:30 p.m. when he goes before a judge to determine if he should be charged as an adult.

During an afternoon press conference, Madison Police Chief Larry Muncey said the suspect's home was searched and a number of items were confiscated.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/post_203.html

Community Helps Those Cope With Discovery Shooting

There will be a community wide meeting on Sunday from 2 pm to 3 pm at Bob Jones High School. Members of clergy, grief counselors, city officials, teachers, and parents will be there to discuss, reflect and mourn this tragic event. Additional counselors will be available in many of the local schools on Monday. Also, students are encouraging the community to wear blue over the next few days in remembrance of Todd Brown.

http://www.waaytv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11946340

God BLess the families, and Rest in peace Todd. What a senseless tragedy this is. So very sad.

Goz

Judge will determine Monday whether suspect in Madison school shooting should be tried as an adult

The future of a Discovery Middle School student charged in the shooting death of a fellow classmate will be determined Monday at 1:30 p.m. when he goes before a judge to determine if he should be charged as an adult.

During an afternoon press conference, Madison Police Chief Larry Muncey said the suspect's home was searched and a number of items were confiscated.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/post_203.html

And, there's a concern that he shouldn't be charged as an adult?

Madison coming to grips with Discovery Middle School shooting

[snip]

The Times has confirmed the identity of the suspect, but his name won't be released by authorities unless he is certified to be tried as an adult. The hearing Monday is set for 1:30 p.m.

Madison County District Attorney Rob Broussard said if the alleged shooter, reportedly 14 years old, is charged as an adult he would face the same penalties as any adult charged with murder.

Assistant District Attorney Tim Gann, formerly in charge of juvenile court prosecution, said he expects the process to go "very fast." He said juveniles committing this type of "serious crime" are usually certified as an adult.

[snip]

The city plans to establish a community support line Monday staffed by volunteers trained in grief counseling. The number and hours will be posted sometime today. An anonymous school safety tip line is open at 464-6575.

[snip]

He assured the public that Madison police will be doing everything possible to make sure the schools are safe, but encouraged parents to do their part, too.

"We all need to open better lines of communication with our children and our students," he said. "As parents, we need to be involved on a daily basis and know where our children are, what they are doing, who they are talking to, what Web sites they are visiting, and create an environment of trust where they feel comfortable sharing information with us."

More: http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/madison_coming_to_grips_with_s.html

This is an awful, senseless crime. I do have to question, however, whether a 14 year old is anywhere near making decisions on an adult level. I do not want his deed to go unpunished. I don't want him to be babied or to spend a couple years in juvie and call it finished.

There are nations that execute 14 year olds, notably Iran, who had a child flayed alive for taking a bite of bread before sundown during Ramadan. But USA is supposed to be more civilized than those other countries---

All current medical research indicates that the brain of a 14 year old is an immature brain, with maturity of the brain not occurring now until the MID-TWENTIES. I'm not sure why this is, or whether it is a "new" development or whether it has always been, I just know the brain of a 14 year old is the brain of a child, and nowhere near the brain of an adult.

This tells me that we probably need something between juvie and adult jail for young teens and children who have committed gross atrocities. Because a kid in adult jail is going to be victimized, trained, and released as a well-educated criminal.

And, there's a concern that he shouldn't be charged as an adult?

People are angry, and rightfully so. They want the victim back, and they want the perpetrator punished. But there SHOULD BE a concern when we are talking about treating a 14 year old as an adult, shouldn't there?

People are angry, and rightfully so. They want the victim back, and they want the perpetrator punished. But there SHOULD BE a concern when we are talking about treating a 14 year old as an adult, shouldn't there?

It appears the shooter was expelled from another school and that he has a "background." (no link)

The alleged shooter left a chilling message on his MySpace page 21 hours before the shooting: "Squirming in pain, writhing in agony."

"He had a strange attraction to stuff gang-related..."

"The boy calmly recocked the gun and walked away, according to witnesses."

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/discovery_middle_school_shoote.html

I agree that this boy's past should be considered, and he should be thoroughly evaluated. But I don't think it's fair to assume that *every* child who murders should be charged as an adult.

It appears the shooter was expelled from another school and that he has a "background." (no link)

The alleged shooter left a chilling message on his MySpace page 21 hours before the shooting: "Squirming in pain, writhing in agony."

"He had a strange attraction to stuff gang-related..."

"The boy calmly recocked the gun and walked away, according to witnesses."

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/discovery_middle_school_shoote.html

My son left a message on myspace once that said "OH, OH, OH, nature's napalm! How cleanly you burn! How long you last! How sweet your scent!" and a friend texted me to know how "troubled" my kid was. Well, he was talking about pine wood, and I knew that. Troubled is sometimes in the eye of the beholder!

If this kid posted squirming in pain and writhing in agony, then I'd have to ask why? Are those lyrics? If not, what on earth would make a 14 year old writhe in agony?

I'm not saying this child isn't troubled. He obviously is very troubled. But he IS a child! He may well be interested in gangs, he may well have a troubled background, and yet, he is a child. The owner of an immature brain----a brain that differs in all ways from an adult brain.

Again, I am not saying he should not be punished. He has committed a horrendous act, and he deserves punishment. I merely attempt to point out that putting a child into the adult prison system is not doing society any favors.

The shooting is (according to un-named sources) gang related. The shooter had the gun in his possession all day before using it - seems like he had plenty of time to consider his actions.

http://trendsbuzz.com/tb.php?k=discovery middle school shooting&url=http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/madison_coming_to_grips_with_s.html

"Assistant District Attorney Tim Gann, formerly in charge of juvenile court prosecution, said he expects the process to go "very fast." He said juveniles committing this type of "serious crime" are usually certified as an adult.

The last juvenile to be tried as an adult in Huntsville was Michael Steger, who was convicted last fall for the murder of 16-year-old Jamie Collier. Steger, now 17, was 14 when he committed the crime."

My son left a message on myspace once that said "OH, OH, OH, nature's napalm! How cleanly you burn! How long you last! How sweet your scent!" and a friend texted me to know how "troubled" my kid was. Well, he was talking about pine wood, and I knew that. Troubled is sometimes in the eye of the beholder!

If this kid posted squirming in pain and writhing in agony, then I'd have to ask why? Are those lyrics? If not, what on earth would make a 14 year old writhe in agony?

I'm not saying this child isn't troubled. He obviously is very troubled. But he IS a child! He may well be interested in gangs, he may well have a troubled background, and yet, he is a child. The owner of an immature brain----a brain that differs in all ways from an adult brain.

Again, I am not saying he should not be punished. He has committed a horrendous act, and he deserves punishment. I merely attempt to point out that putting a child into the adult prison system is not doing society any favors.

I wish they could place him in juvenile until his 21st birthday then send him to prison for the remainder of his sentence. To send a young boy into an adult prison, in my opinion, is cruel.

I'm just amazed at the statement to CNN by the police chief. He said, despite the shooting, the schools were safe.

Sorry, but I totally disagree. When a student can smuggle a gun into a school and kill another student, the schools in Madison, AL are not safe.

Additionally, the previous post alluded to a gang connection. Principals, teachers, etc. are aware of known gang members.

Most schools do not have metal detectors unless they are inner city schools, at least in my area. We do have a resource office but he splits his time between two schools. I really don't think that there are any safe schools. Larger schools are less safe than smaller schools, yet with the economy, schools continue to combine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back