Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    This case has me going back and forth like a pendulum - was it a burglary, was it a rape/kidnapping?

The one thing that makes me think it was not an intended rape is, how would the perps know there was no one else in the house? For all they knew, there could have been a 250 pound man with a shotgun sitting in the living room!

But then, the same is true of a burglary - how would they have known there weren't more people in the house?

I think (1) the perps had been watching the house and saw the owners leave, or (2) knocked on the door to see if anyone answered, and Evelyn naively told them she was the babysitter and no one else was at home.

Whatever happened, this poor girl sure fought for her life.
    I don't think it was a burglary..I could be wrong, of course. But I do think she was being watched, or maybe someone was just watching the houses in the neighborhood and happened to see the Rasmusens leave. After viewing those videos and reading further comments on here, I'm starting to think there was more than one perp as well. For years I thought this was done by just one person. Two people could have gotten Evelyn out of the house much more quickly, even through that small basement window. And I tend to think the girl being supported by two men seen in the neighborhood aftewards was Evelyn and her abductors. You're right, this case makes you go back and forth!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaryLiz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
    Wow, what a great find, joellegirl. I just had time to watch all five videos and they were very interesting. I agree with Marilyn, and never understood why she was taken out through the basement window since it was so small. I do think though that Evelyn was seen in the house before she was abducted. Especially since you said that the living room faced the back of the house. If they found those size 11 tennis shoe prints in the back yard, then he must have seen her before entering the house.
    These are the only reasons I can think of that would make sense in regards to her being removed via the basement window. My speculation is as follows:

Whomever the person was that came into the home that night saw her through the window or somehow knew that she (or any other girl) would be there alone babysitting that night.

That person got into the home and found Evelyn in the living room (maybe doing her homework or whatever) and a struggle ensued, considering the chaotic crime scene its certain that she fought for her life. Though we dont know the motive I think its very possible that within that fight, the man (assuming hes male) shoved her into the basement and locked/blocked the door in an attempt to keep her from fleeing OR fighting and wasnt aware that the basement window actually opened or that it would have been big enough to get out of.

Considering that one of her shoes were found in the living room and the other in the basement and that there was blood in the basement but none in the living room it seems very likely that she lost the first shoe in the living room during the stuggle (and broke her glasses as well) and the other after being shoved in the basement.

Second speculation:

She was babysitting and heard a noise in the basement and went to check things out, opening the door (or going down the steps to see what was going on) she ran into the intruder and attempted to get away from him, getting as far as the livingroom before he caught her, which would also account for the shoe placement.

According to police reports there as "indications" that she even made it as far as the front door though they dont go into detail about what that indication was. Neighbors also reported hearing a single scream at 7:15 but they dismissed it as children playing.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to punklove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
    I don't think it was a burglary..I could be wrong, of course. But I do think she was being watched, or maybe someone was just watching the houses in the neighborhood and happened to see the Rasmusens leave.
    I tend to agree, When her father want to the house to see what was going on he was clearly able to see the entire contents of the living room - he saw her broken glasses, her shoe and the mess that was left after the struggle so that means that anyone else could hae seen the entire live room area as well, which is most likely where she would have been spending most of her time.

Also in regards to the burglary, it doesnt seem that someone would would her with them if their intent was just to rob the house - the blood loss at the scene shows that she was very badly wounded and that apparently whomever did this had no issue with wounding someone so greatly, so why would you take a nearly dead girl with you? What would that benefit them? Also, when the bloody panties and bra were found (exact match to hers) you gotta wonder why someone would take someones panties and bra off if the intent was just to rob someone.

I dunno, I guess I just think that if it was someone trying to rob the place they would leave the body not take a mortally wounded person with them.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punklove For This Useful Post:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to punklove For This Useful Post:

I must be having a blonde moment because Ive read this article about 10 times and dont undertand what it means... What chest harness???

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+hartley&hl=en

Apparently this was the first time she babysat for this family in three months, was left there at 6.30pm and several neighbors heard a scream between 7:10-7:30. Seems like such a small time frame.

Im a little confused about the time line of the father (not that I think hes done anything wrong)..

He says he called her until 8:50, got to the home at 9:10 but the 911 call didnt come in until 9:40 - one would assume that he would have ran to call 911 as soon as he saw everything messed up in the living room with her glasses and shoe on the floor OR when he saw massive amounts of blood on and around the basement window, even if he didnt, how long does it take to crawl through a window?

Why not call 911 from the home he was in?

Another note - according to the District Attorney Evelyn was a last minute fill in for a friend of hers, that she hadnt babysat there in over three months. I wonder if there were a reason that she was no longer babysitting for them? Could the regular baby sitter been the intended victim? He was also quotes as saying "The chances are that Evelyn was an accidental victim."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+missing&hl=en
    Last edited by punklove; 07-27-2010 at 08:06 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to punklove For This Useful Post:

Although her disappearance, like Beverly Potts, seem old, I have all the faith in the world that they can still be solved-look at Dorothy Gay Howard and the Jeannie Melville cases-so old, but finally solved. The key is that they are not given up on.
    Have You Seen Me?
    Deanie Marie Pyle Peters
    Mary Jo Lee Long
    Leanna "Beaner" Warner
    Jodi Huisentruit
    Amy Billig
    Rachael Garden
    Stacie Madison and Susan Smalley
    The Springfield Three
    Fawn & Rozlin Abell
    The Forth Worth Trio
    Rachel Mellon Skemp

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/photos/full/20806
    Where is Sharon Rose Sons?
    Discuss her case here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...aron+rose+sons

"We lose our keys, we lose our glasses..but how, in America, do we lose our children?!"-Molly Bish's Mother
    **All posts are my opinion.**

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amber1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by punklove View Post
    I dunno, I guess I just think that if it was someone trying to rob the place they would leave the body not take a mortally wounded person with them.
    I think that's a very good point against this being a robbery gone wrong.

But it's hard to understand why Evelyn was targeted - if the perp(s) just wanted a girl Evelyn's age for their sexual/deviant reasons, there were certainly easily ways to obtain a victim without all of the hassles of breaking into a home and dragging Evelyn away.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Marilynilpa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by amber1 View Post
    Although her disappearance, like Beverly Potts, seem old, I have all the faith in the world that they can still be solved-look at Dorothy Gay Howard and the Jeannie Melville cases-so old, but finally solved. The key is that they are not given up on.
    You are absolutely right.

Sometimes the passage of time actually helps - people move on with their lives, their loyalties change, and suddenly they no longer care if they rat out their former husband/boyfriend/friend. Or someone is near death and wants to clear their conscience before they die.

That's why websites like this are important - we keep these cases active!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marilynilpa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by punklove View Post
    I must be having a blonde moment because Ive read this article about 10 times and dont undertand what it means... What chest harness???
    The harness that left an imprint on the discarded cutoff denim jacket that apparently was worn by one of the abductors. It was of a type of safety harness that was worn when working from a boatswain's chair. That type of harness was worn by people working as steeplejacks in the area.
    If coincidence never happened, there wouldn't be a word for it.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bargle For This Useful Post:

Interesting posts with very good points.

I still think Evelyn was seen though the window, and was a random victim. The perp(s) most likely intended on rape. They may have planned on raping her right there, but she put up such a fight, and maybe they lost their tempers and hit her hard as she tried to escape. Why they continued to take her with them puzzels me, unless they had hopes they could take her elsewhere and rape her. Sounds like something happened along RT 14 as her bra, underwear and one of the perps jacket were found. RT 14 is the way to La Farge, and I believe the stories that came out about her being taken there by these two men is what happened. Somewhere along the way she passed away from her injuries or they killed her. Her remains are most likely in the remote countryside of LaFarge, but since the area floods, it may be hard to ever find her.

I still have hope her case will be solved. She may even still be found. I wish I could know if anyone has ever actively searched the house and surrounding land she was believed to have been taken. From what I have read, they know the exact house! But no news on this in years. Why??

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joellegirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    I think that's a very good point against this being a robbery gone wrong.

But it's hard to understand why Evelyn was targeted - if the perp(s) just wanted a girl Evelyn's age for their sexual/deviant reasons, there were certainly easily ways to obtain a victim without all of the hassles of breaking into a home and dragging Evelyn away.
    It seems unlikely that she was targeted - at least not to the point of the person knowing she would be in that home at that time because her being at that home that night was actually a fluke - she was filling in for a friend of hers very last minute, the other girl was the permanent babysitter.

Evelyn was the original babysitter for this family, three months before this happened she stopped babysitting for them, why? Obviously it has to be one of two reasons - either the family no longer wanted her to babysit or she no longer wanted to baby for the family. I would assume it wasnt the family because if they were unhappy with her enough to not allow her to babysit anymore then you wouldnt think they would let her babysit that night.. If you fire someone you certainly arent going to trust your child in thier care.

That makes me wonder what made her stop babysitting for the family, had she gotten in trouble and was no longer allowed to babysit? Had she done something while babysitting that made her parents no longer allow her to babysit, its not known if she was told she couldnt babysit or just decided she didnt want to do it anymore but her father was adamant about it being three months since she babysat.

Just thinking out loud but this is what confuses me -

She filled in for her friend at the very last moment, that means that she, her parents, the couple whos child she was watching and the other girl were the only ones that KNEW evelyn would be at that house that night. She got to the home at 6:30pm and the scream that the neighbor heard was around 7:10 so there was about a 40 minute span from the moment the parents left until the neighbor heard the scream..

The home she went missing from - I have to say I find it quite shocking that as close as the homes are together that nobody really heard anything - one person said they heard a scream but thought it was children, its unusual to me that the person wouldnt be able to tell a playful scream vs a panicked fighting for your life scream but Im sure it happens.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...220.33,,0,4.51

I just thought of another possible theory that could explain some of the weird parts of this case:

Could evelyn have snuck a boy over to hang out with her while she was babysitting like so many other girls at that age have done and something went wrong?

This whole crime seems so unsophisticated and careless that it makes more sense to me the person that commited it was young - some of the evidence makes me feel that it was a young person as well.

The shoe print they found had a pattern on it that suggested the person often drove a Whizzer motorbike ( "http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_24DcgVtaIDk/Slz8oWFDD0I/AAAAAAAAAxs/ka-VtO5v_C8/s400/My+Whizzer+Motorbike,+1948+copy.jpg ) which was a popular thing for young men to have then. The man wore a size 10-11 shoe but wore a size medium jacket, which would account for it being a teenage boy.

Also, just the weirdness of the crime scene - the whole basement window thing is odd to me, one of the few things I can think of to make it make sense is this:

She invited the boy over, calling him when she got to the family home (or letting him know when to come) making sure to allow enough time for the parents to be gone.. the boy gets there and whatever happened happens during the violent attack and once he realizes what hes done he tries to cover things up - part of what makes me wonder if this is what happened is this statement:

"But the officers found pry marks on a bedroom window where an intruder tried unsuccesfully to break in. Blood stains were on the ground outside and more blood was found smeared on a neightbor's house and across a nearby garage."

Is it possible that he killed her (or seriously wounded her) THEN attempted to pry open windows to make it look as if someone broke into the home and only then settled on the basement window as it was the ONLY window that you could open from the outside? It seems much more likely to me that the person went outside in an effort to construct a crime scene by opening a window and wiped his bloody hands on the neighbors house and garage either to clean them off a bit or to make it look like evelyn was outside at some point attemping to flee the "intruder".

Quote Originally Posted by joellegirl View Post
    Interesting posts with very good points.

I still think Evelyn was seen though the window, and was a random victim. The perp(s) most likely intended on rape. They may have planned on raping her right there, but she put up such a fight, and maybe they lost their tempers and hit her hard as she tried to escape. Why they continued to take her with them puzzels me, unless they had hopes they could take her elsewhere and rape her. Sounds like something happened along RT 14 as her bra, underwear and one of the perps jacket were found. RT 14 is the way to La Farge, and I believe the stories that came out about her being taken there by these two men is what happened. Somewhere along the way she passed away from her injuries or they killed her. Her remains are most likely in the remote countryside of LaFarge, but since the area floods, it may be hard to ever find her.

I still have hope her case will be solved. She may even still be found. I wish I could know if anyone has ever actively searched the house and surrounding land she was believed to have been taken. From what I have read, they know the exact house! But no news on this in years. Why??
    On the link I posted of the home (its the exact home she was in when she as taken) that big window in the front had no sort of covering, just a completely open window so its possible someone saw her and decided randomly to break in, I think its quite unlikely thats the case due to several reasons.. The one thing about the window being open is that the person breaking in would of course be able to see her, but thats the porblem - once he came INTO the home, he would be completely out in the open too.. anyone walking by would either notice them in a struggle or notice that the living room was a wreck, it was a busy area with homes very close to each other so if someone randomly wanted to attack/rape someone they would go somewhere else where they would be less likely to be seen or heard.

The biggest issue to me is the actual taking of her - a random person would have no reason to take her, the amount of blood around the window and house proves that Evelyn was either dead or very close to dying at that point - if the person was a random stranger he would have raped her in the home and left because nobody would ever think to tie him to that murder/rape, the person would leave wanting to have as little 'evidence' of her on them so bringing a profusely bleeding dying person with you wouldnt be likely as you would then have to get rid of the body (perhaps being seen by someone) and get the blood stains out of your car (perhaps being seen).

The taking of her when she was either dead or nearly dead to me much more likely suggests someone that was familiar with her and felt that her body would have some sort of evidence on it that could point to them.

The home was searched, but oddly enough the police really werent concerned at first - the officers that came to the home first that night treated it as a typical 'runaway' case and noted that she may have "not been getting along with her parents and ran off with a boy" even though there was an intense sign of a struggle in the living room (rugs messed up and bunched together, house plants knocked over, overturned furniture, her glasses stomped on the floor, one of her shoes.. ect) only a couple hours later did they find the blood and then start to take it seriously.

There is so much about this case that I find dumbfounding - Im not trying to judge anyone (it just seems curious to me - everyone reacts to stress differently) but her mothers behavior seems a little odd.

It seems to me that if your 15 year old daughter is missing from a home and theres blood all over the place that you would attempt to go out and look for her or at the very least go to the home to see things for yourself, attempting to get SOME sort of clue as to what happened to your child - Evelyn's mother had a "restless" night of sleep and went to the home the first time the next morning. They only lived a little over a mile away, you wouldnt have been able to keep most mothers away..

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punklove For This Useful Post:

Ok, last thing!

The police department got a lot of criticism for how they handled this case..

They didnt interview several of the neighbors until 2 weeks later and the police officers at the scene didnt think the make sure the evidence was safeguarded - strangers crowded around the home and were touching the home, the areas around the windows, the house and all the surrounding areas and the police didnt stop them.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to punklove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by amber1 View Post
    I really hope so, they deserve at least to be found.

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast