Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by punklove View Post
    Haha, this one is my fave - I would have sworn it was fake if I hadnt found it in an old newspaper!

http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/adac...13-150dpi.jpeg
    Bahahaha

Even THAT ad makes me blush. I love the "everyone smells you" comment to scare them into thinking everyone but them notices it. Wow.

Anyway back on topic lol....I have lots of replies for you but it's past my bed time so I'll try to get my thoughts out tomorrow. You always have great ideas so stop apologizing for so many posts and being "wordy" (you're not)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Claudette For This Useful Post:

The boyfriend idea makes sense to me, given the facts. And if, as punklove said, the basement window WASN'T used to get Evelyn out, it makes even more sense.

Just wondering - could the baby possibly have been the target? I'm thinking of a ransom situation. The perp may have thought it would be easy to subdue Evelyn and take the baby, but then everything went wrong.

That's probably way out in left field, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marilynilpa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    The boyfriend idea makes sense to me, given the facts. And if, as punklove said, the basement window WASN'T used to get Evelyn out, it makes even more sense.

Just wondering - could the baby possibly have been the target? I'm thinking of a ransom situation. The perp may have thought it would be easy to subdue Evelyn and take the baby, but then everything went wrong.

That's probably way out in left field, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
    She DID tell a friend once she would fight, not run, if a person ever tried to hurt her or a baby. Or something like that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Claudette For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Claudette;5510463]Bahahaha

Even THAT ad makes me blush. I love the "everyone smells you" comment to scare them into thinking everyone but them notices it. Wow.
    QUOTE]

Add to that the fact that it has LYSOL in it makes it even more funny.

There is something about Evelyns father that Im having a hard time understanding, not really saying that I think hes in any way suspect (im honestly not sure what I think about him) but there are a couple things Im not sure I understand.

Im really interested what those of you that are parents have to say about this - Mr rasmusen picked Eveylyn up and brought her his home, got his wife and daughter and left around 6:30. Her father was worried that she hadnt called and started to call her until around 9:05pm - getting to the Rasmusen home around 9:10pm.

This is what confused me.. he says he got there at 9:10, knocked on the doors with no answer, then walked around and could see the living room was in disarray and could clearly see her glasses smashed on the floor as well as on her shoes. He said that he then went around the home and tried to open every window but couldnt because they all had new storm windows that locked from the inside. After this he says he noticed the basement window was broken so he decided to climb through the window, then looked in the rooms and found the baby sleeping but no Evelyn - then ran out of the home to the house directly across the street and 911 was called and logged as coming in at 9:49pm.

If you put yourself in the fathers place do you think you would have done things as he did? It seems to me the natural repsonse would be quiet different than what he did.. He was worried about her and was at the home at 9:10pm. I assume that he knocked at the front door for 2 minutes or so, then went around to the other door knocked again and then looked into the living room seeing what police called a 'violent struggle' and his response was to go around the entire house and check every single window? The moment he saw that living room and her glasses busted he would have known right away that she was in a lot of danger so why not break the window he was looking through? Why not break the windows that were in the door to let himself in? Why not run right then to the neighbors, call the police then come directly back to the home - perhaps even bringing the man next door back WITH him? I just dont understand why he would enter the home through the broken window that enters the basement - how would he even know once he gained entry to the basement that the door connected it to the home wasnt locked?

Even moreso confusing - by his own account he was at the house for 39 minutes before police were called and I just find that odd. Another thing that I dont understand is why he didnt call out for help - The glasses on the floor and her shoe are what bother me most, had he just looked in and saw things all over the place in the living room I would be more unstanding of him checking the windows and all that, because you might fear that somethings wrong but you wouldnt want to break anything or call 911 in case there really wasnt anything wrong - but when you add to that scene your daughters broken glasses and one shoe it seems you would be much more in a hurry to get help.

39 minutes is a long time, can anyone think of any valid reason he would be there so long before calling police? He saw her glasses about 4 minutes into being there.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punklove For This Useful Post:

Another interesting thing in that article is a witness saying that he saw a man and 'staggering' girl near the home the blood trail ended (200 yards from the Rasmussen home, a blood trail the entire way) then a 'little while later' he was nearly hit by a car (1942 two toned buick) leaving the driveway of the home he saw them 'staggering' to, thinking they were just a couple that was celebrating the game that night. The same man and girl were in that car. He took a lie detector test and passed, they were so sure he was telling the truth that they added this to the 'offical' list of clues.

Whos home was this? Did someone live there? Was it vacant? What time did he see them? How much time is a 'little while later'? Assuming the witness is right, Whomever took her was comfortable enough in the area to 'walk' with a heavily bleeding evelyn 200 yards away to a house, stay at that house for an unknown amount of time and to park in that houses driveway??? Why wouldnt he have parked on the street? Neighbors are nosey and a strange car parked in someone elses driveway wouldnt go unnoticed. They lived in a new sub-division, I wonder if they questioned all the people involved actually forming the sub-division, I also wonder if there were any workers that were paid under the table as that would make it impossible to question them?

What?! Ok. There has, has, HAS to be a reason we haven't heard anything much about this. It had to have been ruled as unrelated. I remember hearing about the guy that saw the staggering people but I didn't know the rest of this. Wow. They probably figured out who those people were. I would hope.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Claudette For This Useful Post:

On another note (sorry for being so wordy) attempting to not point fingers - it seems the police involved with this case really made it much more difficult to solve. 500 people were standing around outside the home once they found out what happened and the police didnt keep them from walking all over the place, even as far as the DOOR of the home. In what world does this make sense? Seems to me a perfect chance for someone that actually DID the crime to say that they were at the home that night but only after it happened, and they would be unable to prove otherwise.

They required all boys and men in the school she went to and her fathers college to take a lie detector test, why did they give NO females the same test? The window to enter the home was tiny - a female could have just as easily (or even more so) gotten into the window as a man. Its just as likely that a female crawled into that window and snuck up stairs and let someone (a male) inside the home, so why dismiss girls?

It seems like from the go the police had their mind made up - when they first got to the home (before they found blood) they apparently they felt that she had 'run off' with her boyfriend - as if broken glasses, one shoe on the floor, and obvious signs of struggle point to a teenage girl 'running off'.
    The biggest thing worth remembering is this was the 50s. Forensics were not horrible, but they were nothing compared to today. But still I agree, even for then trampling on the scene seems really...well...stupid.

Also, the people of that time were in denial about reality and everyone tried to live a perfect Leave It To Beaver. That's probably why they didn't have the girls do the lie detector. For one, they probably didn't actually think a female could do something so heinous. Two, it would give a bad image to the town, having those "fragile" girls go through all of that. At least, this is MOO based on what I have heard about the 50s from those that grew up during that time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Claudette For This Useful Post:

Im actually not sure who was home and who wasnt but the man that said he heard three screams lived three houses away.
    I bet this means that the immediate neighbors weren't home, otherwise the press would be all over them, not the guy living 3 doors away. I would think, at least.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Claudette For This Useful Post:

39 minutes is a long time, can anyone think of any valid reason he would be there so long before calling police? He saw her glasses about 4 minutes into being there.
    I'm not a parent so this is my best guess on what I would do and my thoughts on it.

I would probably try to get in the house too but I could see not wanting to break in as that would look really, really bad if someone heard/saw you doing so and then come to find the daughter is missing. After all, family is usually the first to be speculated about.

I do agree that 39 minutes is a really long time. I could see searching frantically and freaking out for maybe 15 minutes tops. Probably had to figure out what to do with the baby too. Maybe it took him a while to find a neighbor that was home? And then when the guy opens the door and sees this strange man having a panic attack, probably wants to know what the heck is going on, so then he rehashes the whole story before they call.

I guess I could think of reasons why it took so long but in my opinion it shouldn't have been more than 15 minutes after he found her.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Claudette For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
    What?! Ok. There has, has, HAS to be a reason we haven't heard anything much about this. It had to have been ruled as unrelated. I remember hearing about the guy that saw the staggering people but I didn't know the rest of this. Wow. They probably figured out who those people were. I would hope.
    Thats whats so odd about it, they gave him a lie detector test hoping to disprove what he was saying and he passed it. They then gave him another lie detector which he also passed.

The car that he says almost ran over him leaving a driveway was leaving the home that had bloody finger/hand prints on it just makes no sense to me..

The thing is this - even if they thought he was lying after passing the lie detector tests I dont get why they wouldnt have put the make/model of the car and some sort of description of the man? Even if it werent true no harm done right? It seems to me that they were dead set on this being a sex crime so they discounted any other options - like only doing lie detector tests on the men. That part REALLY bugs me.. someone that can commit a crime like this could possibly pass the test even if they were lying BUT that man/boy could have a girlfriend that also knew what was going on and wouldnt be able to pass the test.

Its possible the home was empty - it was a developing area.

I bet this means that the immediate neighbors weren't home, otherwise the press would be all over them, not the guy living 3 doors away. I would think, at least.
    One of the next door neighbors was home because I read about her saying that the police didnt question her for several days after this happened - will look for link to post.

I'm not a parent so this is my best guess on what I would do and my thoughts on it.

I would probably try to get in the house too but I could see not wanting to break in as that would look really, really bad if someone heard/saw you doing so and then come to find the daughter is missing. After all, family is usually the first to be speculated about.

I do agree that 39 minutes is a really long time. I could see searching frantically and freaking out for maybe 15 minutes tops. Probably had to figure out what to do with the baby too. Maybe it took him a while to find a neighbor that was home? And then when the guy opens the door and sees this strange man having a panic attack, probably wants to know what the heck is going on, so then he rehashes the whole story before they call.

I guess I could think of reasons why it took so long but in my opinion it shouldn't have been more than 15 minutes after he found her.
    He left the baby in the bed the ran to the house directly across the street and called 911 and police were there within minutes. AT that time a lot of people were already home so Im sure he saw several houses that looked like people were there. Its not even that I think he did something bad, something about it just bothers me.

Here is a photo of her parents and little sister. The look on her mothers face is heartbreaking. Link

And here is a photo of Evelyn Ive never seen before. (you have to scroll down a little) http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+missing&hl=en

20. The Following User Says Thank You to punklove For This Useful Post:

One thought about a witness seeing the car in question backing out of the driveway, maybe they were just turning around and not parked there. You know how one does that to avoid going in a direction they don't want too? I have seen this neighborhood in person, and if the car was facing east on Coulee Dr, they would have wanted to turn around to go in the direction to the quickest way out the of the subdivision and onto Losey Blvd, the closest large thouroughfare. I also read somewhere one neighbor was in his basement and heard the sounds of people rushing by his basement window, could have been the perps and Evelyn. Seems like neighbors did hear plenty, but no one thought any more about it.
    Last edited by joellegirl; 08-13-2010 at 05:37 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joellegirl For This Useful Post:

One tidbit I remember reading about Evelyn's father, I think in the book "Where's Evelyn?" is that when he saw the blood, he first said maybe it was Evelyn's menstrual blood (as she was on her period at the time and her pads are still with other evidence of the case--I'm assuming the pads were taken from the garbage of her home or the Rasmussen's). Even the investigators thought that was an odd comment, as no way that much blood was from her period. Also kind of an odd thing for a father to say, they thought. He could have been in shock and was saying it hoping that was all it was, who knows? Just a tidbit I remember reading. Good question why it took him over 30 minutes to ask for help.

One thing there was no 911 then. So some time finding the numnber to call. It does make sense maybe he rehashed to story to the neighbors, and maybe he and the neighbors even went back to the scene before calling?

I am a parent,( my youngest even born on Oct 24, of all days, I thought of that when she was born) and I would be calling ASAP, but it seems people back then weren't as quick to call police, ambulances(which were just cars, no life saving equipment on them) etc..I can almost picture the neighbor and Evelyn's father walking back to the scene together before calling, though I have never read that happened. Just that he went to the neighbors and called police.
    Last edited by joellegirl; 08-13-2010 at 05:41 PM.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joellegirl For This Useful Post:

Interesting newspaper article, Evelyns mother made Evelyn go babysit that night. Evelyn didnt want to babysit (though she promised she would) and her mother made her, saying that she said she would babysit so she needed to honor her word. Link

Thats really got to make you beat yourself up, poor woman.
    And that poor mother lived way into her 90's. She lived about 50 years after Evelyn vanished. Such a long time to live with such an awful tragedy.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joellegirl For This Useful Post:

She DID tell a friend once she would fight, not run, if a person ever tried to hurt her or a baby. Or something like that.
    I've read about her saying that too. There had a been a kidnapping of a young boy in the news just weeks before Evelyn herself vanished, and she and her friends discussed what they would do if it ever happened to them...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to joellegirl For This Useful Post:

Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast