Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: WI - Evelyn Hartley: Vanished While Babysitting, 15, La Crosse, 24 Oct 1953

Hybrid View

WI - Evelyn Hartley: Vanished While Babysitting, 15, La Crosse, 24 Oct 1953

Hi, I mentioned Evelyn in my "Cold Cases That Haunt Me Thread" but here are some more links:

http://www.findevelynhartley.org

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/artic...s/02second.txt

The second link talks about a man who has come forward with a tape recording done in a bar in 1968, where a man says he and another man killed Evelyn. I am wondering why the man who had the tape didn't say something in 1968. I know these men could have been lying, but again there could be some truth to the story. It has always been suspected that Evelyn's abductors took her south out of LaCrosse on Rt 14. Clothes believed to be Evelyn's and the jacket and shoes of one of the abductors were tossed aside that road. And the town that the men mention on the tape-LaFarge- is in that direction. I and my family were in LaCrosse recently to visit relatives and I was talking with a local woman there who said she heard on the news that this story is really being seriously looked into and it is offering new clues (like the article says). I believe both of the men are dead now so we may never know the total truth or where they buried Evelyn.I'm guessing the authors who are writing Evelyn"s story are saving some of the new findings for the book, which I hope comes out soon. Of course if something big happens like solving this case I'm sure it will be on the news right away! So I ask my relatives often and check the LaCrosse Tribune online. I'm not sure if Evelyn's parents are still alive (Evelyn would be 65-almost 66 now) but I believe at least one of her siblings-a younger sister- is still alive. I sure hope this poor family can finally have some closure.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-21-2012 at 02:59 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joellegirl For This Useful Post:

In newspaper archives there was a POW returned from war recently when Evelyn went missing. When questioned, he said he "found a companion" that night... went to drive in... last time he saw her she was walking down the street.

I'm still digging into more papers but why would this guy not be looked into more. That's all the article said.

Cannot find where police looked into this guy further. A witness had said she saw him and someone looking like Evelyn with him that night.

Now, reading another article from 1963... 10 years later something suspicious pops out of the article. Her father, a bio professor went "looking" for his daughter when she didn't come home from babysitting. He found the 20 month old baby sleeping and the living room in disarray. Well, how would he know she was "gone" if no one got home yet to find anything. Why would he go looking for his daughter when she wasn't missing. Then he tells reporters he doesn't want to talk about it and bring it up anymore as he has 2 other children and they're (him and his wife) doing their best to raise them.

GOD, I'd be begging the media to make more stories. Back then, this wasn't as big news as things are today.

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blueclouds For This Useful Post:

Evelyn

Quote Originally Posted by blueclouds
    In newspaper archives there was a POW returned from war recently when Evelyn went missing. When questioned, he said he "found a companion" that night... went to drive in... last time he saw her she was walking down the street.

I'm still digging into more papers but why would this guy not be looked into more. That's all the article said.

Cannot find where police looked into this guy further. A witness had said she saw him and someone looking like Evelyn with him that night.

Now, reading another article from 1963... 10 years later something suspicious pops out of the article. Her father, a bio professor went "looking" for his daughter when she didn't come home from babysitting. He found the 20 month old baby sleeping and the living room in disarray. Well, how would he know she was "gone" if no one got home yet to find anything. Why would he go looking for his daughter when she wasn't missing. Then he tells reporters he doesn't want to talk about it and bring it up anymore as he has 2 other children and they're (him and his wife) doing their best to raise them.

GOD, I'd be begging the media to make more stories. Back then, this wasn't as big news as things are today.

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Actualy, those articles are leaving out key points. The reason Evelyn's father went looking for her was that whenever she babysat, she would call home an hour later to let her parent's know she was ok. When she didn't call, her parents got worried and the father went to the house to check on her. When he arrived and there was no answer on the door, he walked around the house and saw a basement window opened. What he found inside were obvious signs of a struggle-- his daughter shoes and glasses on the floor and mud.. He called police and whn they arrived the found pools of blood outside the basement window. Her father actually did take a lie dectector test to clear himself, and he was at the police station practically every day for months after Evelyn vansihed hoping to get some answers. Perhaps the article from the 1960's was when he had given up hope and didn't want to talk about it anymore.

I've never heard of the POW story but I don't think he had anything to do with it.From the evidence at the crime scene, Evelyn was in no condition to be out with a man at a drive in and walk home. Evelyn arrived to babysit at 6:45pm that night(actually the father of the baby picked her up and drove her over-he and his wife were family friends), and the mom instructed her to put the baby down at 7pm and cover her 15 minutes later. Then they left to attend the college homecoming game.Evelyn was the kind of teen who could be trusted to do as she was instructed. Eveyln's abduction is believed to have occured between 7-7:15pm because the baby was found "uncovered" and neighbors did hear screams at that time but dismissed it as children playing. Another witness came forward saying he was driving past the home at about that time and saw a man waking with a young woman and that the woman was staggering and he was supporting her. He just thought it was some people who did too much partying. A few moments later he saw who he believed to be the same couple in the backseat of a car with the woman leaning forward and another man in the front seat. It is believed that who ever took Evelyn broke in the basement window, surprised her in the livingrom where a struggle ensued explaining the mud on the floor, one of Evelyn's shoe and her glasses. He supposedly dragged her downstairs where her other shoe fell off and out the open window where the other man gave her a blow to the head causing heavy bleeding The next morning a trail of blood was found for a couple of blocks and stopped at the street, which explains the man dragging the woman who was staggering to the waiting car. A massive search began for her and draged on from months. Citizens-mainly teenage boys came in droves to volunteering take lie detector test just to clear themselves and help narrow down the search. I guess hearing this story all of my life from relatives who lived in LaCrosse when it happened, I truly believe Evelyn was take against her will by two total strangers that must have decided to lurk in that new subdivsion that night to see what they could find, and saw a young girl through the window who appeared to be alone and decided to take her and do harm. Her family was completely heartsick, patricipated in the searches etc, but did eventually move away.

Blueclouds, where did you find that article from the 1960s? Id like to read it. Thanks for your post-I hope explained the story better to you, especialy why her father went looking for her that night.

The book "Getting Away With Murder" by Ed Baumann has a very detaled account of this entire case. It was evident Evelyn was badly injured and take aganst her will. I actually drove past the house where this happened recently, and it is your typical 50's style ranch subdivision. Hard to believe such horrible thing happened there.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to joellegirl For This Useful Post:

I meant to add that when the parents got worried that she didn't call, they tried many times calling her but got no answer. They waited some more, trying not to worry and then the father decided to take a drive and check on her. His daughter missing, the baby alone, and the open window, her shoes and glasses and mud on the floor prompted him to call the police. Because it was dark he didn't see the blood outside, but the police saw it when they shined their flashlights by the open basement window. The mud on the carpet and the footprints outside did match the mud on the shoes found along the highway. If I am rambling please forgive me-it is quite late here. I hope this helps.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joellegirl For This Useful Post:

I have found them on the www.newspaperarchive.com there is a free 2 week sign up to check out the articles if you want. They will charge you after the 2 weeks though, so you need to inform them prior to that NOT to charge you if you don't want the yearly subscription to the site. If you don't have credit card, I can email you the articles or post them on a private site as I'm not allowed to "distribute" them. Copyright laws but you could see them privately. Let me know, PM me or leave a message here or try to read them yourself. There are a lot of articles on there so you could read more info. I, myself have not even got through all of them about Evelyn.

Thanks for the input with the dad. Journalists print what they like and not knowing all the background can make some comments suspicious.

Thanks for the link about the articles blueclouds! I will start readng tomorrow!

what always struck me in this case was that the baby was never harmed, my answer is why? i guess they didnt want to touch the baby, i do hope that they find her body, its so sad if her parents were alive they would be in their what 80s 90s

12. The Following User Says Thank You to smile22 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blueclouds View Post

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sorry that I am replying to a post that is seven years old. People need to understand that this case was HUGE news in 1953. It was in every newspaper in the country. The difference is that there was no 24 hour news cycle and people got their news mostly from the radio. Televisions had just become available to the average American consumer but not many households had them yet. Those television stations that did exist had a fifteen news program in the evening and another in the morning. That was it.

Most Americans got their news from newspapers and they were all over this case.

There was no Internet and no cable news stations.

I would refer you to the excellent "What Happened to Evelyn" written by Susan Hessel. It is available on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandObserver View Post
    People need to understand that this case was HUGE news in 1953.

Snipped by me!

Its also worth note that it would have been nearly impossible for people in that area to not know what was going on - they did 'mass' mandatory lie detector tests on over 2000 male La Crosse students alone. They also set up numerous license checks that required people's cars being searched since they knew with the amount she was bleeding they knew any car she was in would be bloody. Once the car was searched the police put stickers on them saying 'My car is ok".Considering the above and the fact that they had massive amounts of people searching for her it seems quite likely nearly all the people in that are area had at least heard something about her.

There was a witness that says he said her in a car with two men with her head "slumped against the front seat" - I never know what to think about him.. He says that he saw her walking way with two men and assumed she was drunk and being helped by the men yet the police reports showed that she was dragged from the scene. How could he have seen her with two men if she couldnt walk due to the amount of blood loss? Another issue I have is the fact that he says he thought she was drunk - she had to have been covered in blood and you think he would have seen it even if it were dark outside because there were street lights. He was able to see her in the car so I dont get how he didnt think something was wrong because she would have been bloody.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to punklove For This Useful Post:

Book no longer in the works

Not sure how many members here are interested in this case like I am, but I though I'd mention I learned that the book that was being written about Evelyn is no longer in the works. I was told the person sponsoring it ran out of money. I am disappointed as I think it would have been an interesting book and maybe could have helped solve the case (small chance but the more an old case like this is kept in the media the better chance of maybe someone coming forward with any info, if there is any.) Maybe someone else can take over as it appeared the writers worked hard at it and it's a shame to see that work go to waste.

Hi I am just wondering not only why they took her out the basement window, why did they hurt her so badly in kidnapping her? What I mean is when someone is kidnapped they usually hurt them after they kidnap them. So what was the point? if there were two of them like they think and they took her by surprise they could have easily overpowered her and taken her out the front door.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TisHerself For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TisHerself
    Hi I am just wondering not only why they took her out the basement window, why did they hurt her so badly in kidnapping her? What I mean is when someone is kidnapped they usually hurt them after they kidnap them. So what was the point? if there were two of them like they think and they took her by surprise they could have easily overpowered her and taken her out the front door.
    I've always wondered that too . My guess is maybe they didn't mean to hurt her so badly at that point, but they wanted to silence her (several neighbors reported screaming at about 7:15 pm but dismissed it as children playing ,which I think they meant older children and /or teenagers, since it was after dark and and it was the college homecoming night), and hit her too hard or something to that effect. The fact that blood was splashed against a neighbors house also shows possible signs of a struggle. It appears Evelyn did scream for her life, and even after being injured had lurched up against the neighbors house in trying to break free or in a semiconcious state.

These questions and many more are part of why Evelyn's disappearance has not been forgotten by LaCrosse residents. As a paragraph in "Getting Away with Murder "by Ed Baumann puts it
    "October 24, 1953 will most be remembered (around LaCrosse) as the night a bright young bobby-soxer names Evelyn Grace Hartley disappeared in a horrible splash of blood, leaving behind her jacket, glasses and shoes.The tragic disappearance of the 15 year old babysitter remains Wisconsin's number one unsolved mystery. And the ghastly fate she quite possibly met is almost beyond human comprehension."

Evelyn forever vanished into the darkness, leaving behind many unanswered questions.

Book on Evelyn Hartley 1953 Disappearance Coming Out This Fall

I just read in the LaCrosse Tribune that the book on Evelyn Hartley, 15 year old babysitter who was abducted in 1953 from LaCrosse Wi and never found is finally coming out.

Link to article:

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/artic...ews/00lead.txt

Link to Evelyn's case on The Charley Project:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ey_evelyn.html

joellegirl-I'm impressed with your knowledge of this case. Do you know if anything was ever heard or found of the two girls (16 year-old Helen Owens and 15 year-old Barbara Brown) who disappeared from Rhinelander, 200 miles from Lacrosse, the week before Evelyn vanished?

I look forward to the book.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel For This Useful Post:

I was very very young when I first heard about Evelyn, and her case is what sparked my interest in unsolved disappearances. I have family who lived in LaCrosse at that time (and still do live there), so that is how I first learned about the mystery of Evelyn Hartley. I have researched her case for years, seen the house (from the outside)she was abducted from, and the house she lived in. I am very glad the book will be finally coming out this fall.

Shadowangel, amazingly I have never heard of those two missing girls from Rhinelander. That is very interesting. Do you have more details? I have a vague memory of reading about another missing girl in Wisconsin around that time but I can't remember her name. I wonder if these two girls were found shortly after? I know there was a very extensive search for Evelyn and things were done like opening new graves to see if she had been buried in one, so I think they would have looked into the case of the two missing girls as a connection. Where did you first read about the two girls?

Thanks for posting!

The story of the two girls was basically a footnote to an article about Evelyn when her disappearance occured. As the article goes, the two girls were hitching a ride with three boys when the car they were travelling in had a flat tire. The three boys left the girls and went to get the tire repaired. When they returned, the girls were gone.A later article, a few weeks into the Hartley investigation, stated the sherriff believed the girls had ran off to Milwaukee, since one of the girls had once mentioned to a friend that she would like to go to Milwaukee.
    How's that an in-depth investigation? Seems like the typical '50s good girls wouldn't ride with boys anyway thing to me...

52nd Anniversary

Just bumping since today, October 24, marks 52 years since Evelyn vanished.

Another article on the tape recorder confession

I just found another article about the tape recording of a LaFarge, WI man admitting his involvement in the Evelyn Hartley case. This article is from the Charleston, IL Journal- Gazette and is similar to the La Crosse Tribune article but it includes a little more detail, including names.

Evelyn and her family lived in Charleston, IL prior to living in La Crosse. The town had a moment of silence for Evelyn in the days follwing her disappearance. Like La Crosse, this community has not forgotten Evelyn.

Link:

http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2004/0...ews/news09.txt

Quote Originally Posted by joellegirl
    I just found another article about the tape recording of a LaFarge, WI man admitting his involvement in the Evelyn Hartley case. This article is from the Charleston, IL Journal- Gazette and is similar to the La Crosse Tribune article but it includes a little more detail, including names.

Evelyn and her family lived in Charleston, IL prior to living in La Crosse. The town had a moment of silence for Evelyn in the days follwing her disappearance. Like La Crosse, this community has not forgotten Evelyn.

Link:

http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2004/0...ews/news09.txt
    I need to go back through my notes, because I think this man was later ruled out as having anything to do with Evelyn's disappearance. If I can find the info, I'll post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa
    I need to go back through my notes, because I think this man was later ruled out as having anything to do with Evelyn's disappearance. If I can find the info, I'll post it here.
    You might be thinking of some older confessions(and there have been several). From what I have read this is the most current lead and is still being investigated, though not as fast as I would like!

This whole LaFarge story sounds quite believable to me. The articles of clothing were found on Rt 14 ( bloodied panites, bra-thought to be Evelyn's, bloodied jacket and shoes-thought to have been abductor's) . To go to LaFarge from LaCrosse one would start out taking RT 14.

I hope we can start hearing more about this soon.

The article mentions one of the men either knew or knew of Evelyn and knew she was babysitting that night. I wonder if he saw her walking home from school in the days leading up to the abduction and started stalking her, or maybe he worked odd jobs in that new neighborhood and had seen her when she babysat for the Rasmusen's that summer. All accounts say Mr Rasmusen picked up Evelyn from her home that night and drove her to his house. Maybe these men followed them.

Or maybe these men were after the Rasmusens' regular babysitter....
    Last edited by joellegirl; 11-09-2005 at 11:33 PM.

with a lead pipe

Sooo, whatever happened to the possibility of the man caught with a lead pipe beng involved. Has any more been done to follow up on that?
    Sorry if it was posted & I missed seeing it.

You might be thinking of some older confessions(and there have been several). From what I have read this is the most current lead and is still being investigated, though not as fast as I would like!

This whole LaFarge story sounds quite believable to me. The articles of clothing were found on Rt 14 ( bloodied panites, bra-thought to be Evelyn's, bloodied jacket and shoes-thought to have been abductor's) . To go to LaFarge from LaCrosse one would start out taking RT 14.

I hope we can start hearing more about this soon.

The article mentions one of the men either knew or knew of Evelyn and knew she was babysitting that night. I wonder if he saw her walking home from school in the days leading up to the abduction and started stalking her, or maybe he worked odd jobs in that new neighborhood and had seen her when she babysat for the Rasmusen's that summer. All accounts say Mr Rasmusen picked up Evelyn from her home that night and drove her to his house. Maybe these men followed them.

You're right, I was thinking about Elder G. Frisled, a man who was questioned about Evelyn's disappearance. Apparently he had gone from tavern to tavern in Hanover, Illinois, claiming he knew what happened to Evelyn. He also claimed to have dated Evelyn several times. The police found out that this guy wasn't even near La Crosse, WI on the day Evelyn vanished.

You mention "maybe these men were after the Rasumusens' regular babysitter". I've wondered about that myself. It kind of sounds like Evelyn was a last minute substitution. One article I read reported that Evelyn didn't want to babysit that night.

I located an article today that I haven't seen before. A black man was arrested for raping and murdering a woman In Wauwatosa, WI in 1953, and he was looked at very closely in Evelyn's disappearance. The police said a "negroid" hair had been found in the tennis shoes believed to have been worn by Evelyn's kidnapper. This man had previously been convicted of raping a 14 year old white girl, and the evening he attacked and killed the woman in Wauwatosa, he had also attacked another white female. The police stated "substantial evidence" had been found linking this man, John J. Watson, to Evelyn's disappearance. Watson refused to answer any questions about the case, except to state that he was the victim of a conspiracy.

That is compelling evidence in favor of the confession.

That is the part that got me the most intrigued! How did these men know Evelyn ? Could one of them have had a crush on her? Also, where did the blood outside the home come from. It sounds like she was kept alive until some time later at that farmhouse.

Wow! What an interesting article! I wonder if LE did a full investigation into the cofession like try to locate her body?

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast