1540 users online (225 members and 1315 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VT - Beck Shultz, 29, Burlington, 1 Feb 2010

http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=11945615

Search for missing S. Burlington man
    WCAX-TV South Burlington, Vermont - February 6, 2010

Ground and air searches have turned up no trace of a South Burlington man who's been missing for almost a week.

South Burlington police got help from the Vermont Army National Guard Medevac unit which was on a training weekend and swept the area near Burlington International Airport looking for any trace of 29-year old Beck Shultz.

He dropped out of sight six days ago, leaving personal items behind. Police don't suspect foul play, but there's no explanation yet for the disappearance.

Detective Dennis Ward told Channel 3, "There's been no contacts with anyone since Monday. The concerning part for us is that his car is still at the residence along with his keys and cell phone. We started a search of the area today."

Anyone with information on Shultz is asked to call South Burlington police at (802) 846-4111.
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 06-19-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: fix title

Facebook, with photo

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...ported-missing
    'snip'

He was last seen near his residence close to Burlington International Airport. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call the South Burlington Police Department at 846-4111
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

http://www.fox44now.com/Global/story...&nav=menu660_2

South Burlington Police are looking for a man, they say was last seen Monday.
    Police say they spent Saturday actively searching for Beck Shultz, 29. Shultz was last seen near his home in a South Burlington neighborhood behind the Burlington International Airport.
    Detective Dennis Ward says Shultz's roommates haven't seen him in almost a week. Ward says the family saw no indication of any problems. No one knows why Shultz is missing.
    Ward says the most bizarre part of the situation is Shultz's cell phone, wallet and car keys are still at home.
    "The fact that he doesn't have a car and it's winter and doesn't have his cell phone or wallet," Ward says. "Most young people carry around their cell phone and vehicle and that's the concerning part."
    If you have any information, please call South Burlington Police at (802) 846-4111.
    Gary Haugen

Beck Shultz
    Gary Haugen

Variant spelling: Schultz/Shultz

Note that the Burlington Free Press spells the name "Schultz" (with a "c"). Judging from the Facebook page, the missing man spells his name without the "c."
    Last edited by gnomony; 02-07-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: fix my own misspelling in the headline

Does Schultz have a girlfriend? Where does his family live? I went to college in Burlington and lived in that area for several years. I'm very familiar with the neighborhood around the airport. Several streets of small houses connecting to the 'main drag' of chain stores, fast food restaurants, and motels. Crime is very low in Burlington/South Burlington, although it has been increasing the past few years. Drugs and gangs are becoming a bigger problem. Luckily, there's no river nearby, so it's doubtful Schultz 'fell in' like so many other young men who have gone missing recently.

I just read the WCAX article. I wish it had given more information. It said that he left his cell phone, car keys, and car behind, but how about his wallet? I assume he had it with him, as it wasn't mentioned in the article as being left behind and most men that I know carry their wallet in their pants pocket all day long and really only take it out when they're settling in for the night. What time of day did Schultz go missing, I wonder? What does he do for a living? How long had he been living in the area? Did he grow up there? So many unanswered questions. Why don't the reporters think of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I just read the WCAX article. I wish it had given more information. It said that he left his cell phone, car keys, and car behind, but how about his wallet? ...
    Left his wallet, too:

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
    http://www.fox44now.com/Global/story...&nav=menu660_2...Shultz's cell phone, wallet and car keys are still at home...

This is from craigslist. I hope it is okay to post. It does have his brother's info. But then he did post it on craigslist.
    ?

http://burlington.craigslist.org/laf/1590287506.html
    MISSING BURLINGTON MAN (S. Burlington)

Date: 2010-02-07, 2:43PM EST
    Reply to: comm-vpmpb-1590287506@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

BECK IS MISSING

Beck Shultz has been missing since February 1st 2010. If you have seen him, or know if he is okay, please call the Burlington police department at 802-846-4111, OR call me (his brother, Ted) any time at 608-358-6763 or email me at ted@shultzonline.com.

Beck was last seen by his home behind the Burlington International Airport in South Burlington. He is 29 years old. He may be wearing the coat shown in these pictures.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1590287506
    Gary Haugen

Searching river...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...ng-Vermont-man

"Police have moved their search for a missing South Burlington man to the Winooski River. Beck Shultz was last seen Feb. 1 near his home near the Burlington International Airport.

Police say evidence suggests Shultz may have been distraught and suspect he may be in the river or fled the area on foot."

["Fled" is an inept word choice. That's what you might say about an escapee. No one is doing any reporting on this and won't, IMJ, unless and until police or evidence suggests foul play.]
    Last edited by gnomony; 02-08-2010 at 06:51 PM.

It would help if a trained scent specific trailing dog could be brought in to trail where this man went. If he went into the river, then a trained scent specific trailing dog would indicate the man going into the water.

K9-Chaser is offline Verified Expert / Full-Time Professional K9SAR, SAR & Police SAR Management

Search Resource

Quote Originally Posted by DM5632 View Post
    It would help if a trained scent specific trailing dog could be brought in to trail where this man went. If he went into the river, then a trained scent specific trailing dog would indicate the man going into the water.
    You are right DM5632. I don't know if the river is iced over or not, but nonetheless, a trained trailing dog would follow the scent into the river / onto the ice, depending upon the conditions of the river. This would be very helpful in directing the search resources. All available and applicable search tools should be used to help accomplish the goal of locating Mr. Shultz.

Quote Originally Posted by K9-Chaser View Post
    All available and applicable search tools should be used to help accomplish the goal of locating Mr. Shultz.
    In my experience, LE expends resources only if they think someone is in danger. If the missing man is in the river, sad as that might be, no one is in danger. So I don't expect much effort in checking the river, which is partially frozen and very treacherous.

Rescuers to search Winooski River today for missing South Burlington man
    http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...Burlington-man

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast