Explosion at Connecticut power plant causes "mass casualties"

justbeachy

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/07/connecticut.explosion/index.html?hpt=T1

(CNN) -- An explosion at a Connecticut power plant has caused "mass casualties," authorities said.

The blast happened about 11:30 a.m. Sunday at the Kleen Power Plant in Middletown, a suburb of Hartford.

The plant's general manager, Gordon Holk, confirmed the blast caused casualties, but wasn't sure how many. Fire and police officials in Middletown said there were "mass casualties," but no other details were immediately available.

The site is a 620-megawatt gas-fired power plant, according to Holk.

Fatalities Reported After Massive Explosion at Connecticut Power Plant

Fatalities and multiple injuries were reported Sunday after a massive explosion at a Connecticut power plant, police confirmed to Fox News.

About 100 people were working at the plant during the time of the explosion. :waitasec:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>more at link
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,585040,00.html

thank God it was not Monday when there are more employees on location :(

Oh this is just awful! songline I thought of you when I saw the story on FOX news because they reported the explosion could be heard in Long Island sound.

Prayers for the victims and their families.

I am about 45 minutes from there right now and heard nothing. Please be safe-anyone who is in the area....

What kind of fuel do they use in the plant?

Natural Gas is my understanding. There was a fire, fire engines were called and then an underground tank or pipe blew the building. Hundreds of people were in the building which has been leveled. The casualty count is expected to be huge.

Natural Gas is my understanding. There was a fire, fire engines were called and then an underground tank or pipe blew the building. Hundreds of people were in the building which has been leveled. The casualty count is expected to be huge.

As bad as this sounds, I am glad it is NG. I mean it is horrendous about the explosion. But at least it isn't coal or uranium. NG will be hard to put out, but if it had been coal or uranium, the impact would have been more widespread and have lasted longer.

Local reports indicate that the injuries to people being seen in the hospital are consistent with injuries where they were blown 30-40 feet and then they impact. Broken pelvis' etc...

As bad as this sounds, I am glad it is NG. I mean it is horrendous about the explosion. But at least it isn't coal or uranium. NG will be hard to put out, but if it had been coal or uranium, the impact would have been more widespread and have lasted longer.

Now, they say it is NG. This power plant was not online and the engines were being tested today, so it is anyone's guess...

Oh this is just awful! songline I thought of you when I saw the story on FOX news because they reported the explosion could be heard in Long Island sound.

Prayers for the victims and their families.
:blowkiss: I am a good hour + away. (((( HUG )))) for your kind thoughts.
I worry for all the people up there...
and for the surrounding area I question the toxic waist..The air quality ... All that.
Remember 9.11? and how people had breathing problems for years, some perished just from surrounding bad air quality.

We still do not have an update how many got injured. :( :( :(

While Natural Gas is better then other alternativs.
GAS is GAS, hope whoever is near by cleared out.
Or at least sealed all their windows for now.

horrible
those workers who have survived will probably suffer PTSD for a long time coming, aside from their physical injuries

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back