788 users online (103 members and 685 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dying forensic artist, Frank Bender, creates last sculpture of missing boy

I had no idea Mr. Bender was so ill....I just recently watched a show about him & the John List bust he created that helped lead to List's arrest.

Dying sculptor hopes to learn slain child’s name

Sunday, February 7, 2010
    (Updated 7:46 am)

<snip>
    On Saturday night, in a first glimpse of what probably will be the last such work by Bender, a terminally ill artist with an 85 percent identification rate, detectives were to see art meet science. From what was just a hollowed, mummified skull, Bender produced a lifelike painted sculpture.

“This is the last one,” Bender said Friday in a phone interview from his home. “Most people with terminal cancer and eight months to live might not have even attempted this. But I didn’t want to turn this down if I could help identify him.”

Bender said the boy, age 10 to 12, had longish brown hair and a severe overbite that may help identify him. He was Caucasian, possibly Hispanic, and Bender has the feeling the boy was killed by someone he knew.

“I would say more than likely a caretaker — aunt, uncle, father, stepfather. That’s usually the way it goes,” Bender said.

“That’s why they don’t show up (as missing). You’re thinking, 'Oh, the parents are going to be doing everything under the sun to find them.’ ”

The people who organized the event believe someone will come forward.

“It could be that somebody sees that bust and says, 'Yes, I remember that child, and he disappeared right around then,’ ” said Mike Craig, a former police officer who founded N.C. SMART, the nonprofit missing-and-abducted response team that commissioned Bender. “Then, the investigation starts anew at that point.”

Bender, 68, is credited with solving dozens of murders and disappearances for the FBI, Scotland Yard and America’s Most Wanted.

much more here

http://www.news-record.com/content/2...n_child_s_name

Prayers for Mr. Bender & his wife.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Very touching. Thanks for posting.

Prayers to them.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

What a wonderful man he is. I hope his final days go smooth. I saw the show on John List years ago. I'm so happy he is helping with this case.

I noticed his wife was ill too, much prayers for her too....How very sad. He has done some great work for the cause.

Thanks for the post.

Goz
    Last edited by Gozgals; 02-08-2010 at 06:02 AM.

God Bless both Mr. Bender and his wife. What an amazing man, and what an amazing gift to choose his last work to be this child. I pray this child is identified and adds to Mr Benders amazing legacy.

hiw wife has terminal cancer too
    how awful for them
    he's done some amazing work

This is so sad....I read his book not too long ago and it was very interesting. He was never into his career for money or fame, just to help identify the missing. I still get chills when I see that bust of John List.

I'm so sorry to hear that both he and his wife are ill. I pray that the good Lord will bring peace to both of them.

I am so sad by the news that Frank Bender is terminally ill.
    I had the chance to talk with him about a year ago.
    I had emailed him about a case and he asked me to call.
    He felt he could help in that missing person case. But
    I turned the information over to police and family and
    I don't know the results.
    He was an eccentric but kind man. IMO>

The Girl With the Crooked Nose book was not only about Frank Bender's
    forensic talent but a look inside working with Mexican authorities.

May he and his wife be surrounded by the crystal light of God's protection.
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    What an amazing man and such a sad story.

I'm wondering about this boy. He had $50 in his pocket? Neatly folded bills? Was he running away? Did someone "send" him away (parents - and I use that term loosely - "kick out" children even at a young age) and he met with foul play? He was wearing new sneakers, which stood out to me. Did he need new shoes for a long journey? Who bought them? Him? A loving parent? If it was a loving parent, wouldn't there be a missing child report? There wouldn't be a report if a) they didn't think he was missing (ie, they kicked him out) or b) they knew he was dead.

So many scenarios are running through my mind. I hope they solve this one, for the sake of everyone involved. It would be wonderful if they could at least come up with a name before Mr. Bender passes.

OK-Frank can't die. He can't. He changed my life-and he will never know how much. It is not fair to the world to lose a man such as this. It is not fair to the world of UID's to lose a man with such incredible vision and compassion.

God will cradle him-and God will cradle his family. But oh how I will miss knowing that Frank is not there to be a safety net any longer.....
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Unhappy

Mr. Bender is an incredible man with an extraordinary gift. I really love this man. I wish him and his dear wife well.

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

Ø My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

Nelson Kepley
    Photo Caption: Forensic artist Frank Bender studied the skull of John Doe 98-21372 and created a likeness of the boy.

On Sept. 25, 1998, a groundskeeper for a billboard company was mowing along the Interstate 85/ Buckhorn Road exit and discovered something in the long summer grass at the edge of the woods.
    It was the scattered remains of a skeleton, a 10-year-old child, with tube socks and new boy’s sneakers still on the child’s feet. Folded neatly in the pocket of a pair of khaki shorts was $50 — two $20s, one $10.
    http://www.news-record.com/content/2...n_child_s_name

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

Ø My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

Frank bender

Sorry as I wasn't sure where to post this. Mr. Bender is still alive thankfully. He was lauded the other day in a ceremony here in Philly, but I can't find the dang story.

However, Mr. Bender has a last wish and it's to find out who the "Woman In The Wodos" is. They have unveiled her likeness that Mr. Bender created. Help from the public is asked. Lots of information at link.

http://articles.mcall.com/2011-04-18...orensic-artist

Frank Bender has sadly passed away.
    http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/...nk-bender-dies

RIP

This is really sad I hope that anyone that studied under this man or along with him picked up on his unique gift . The world but more importantly the forensic society and missing people that need help have lost a great man ..
    Everything I Write Is JMHO ..

Thanks for posting Elmomom. How sad - he was an amazing man. I wasn't aware that he founded the Vidocq Sosiety, too. RIP Frank.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast