Dying forensic artist, Frank Bender, creates last sculpture of missing boy

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
I had no idea Mr. Bender was so ill....I just recently watched a show about him & the John List bust he created that helped lead to List's arrest.

Dying sculptor hopes to learn slain child’s name

Sunday, February 7, 2010
(Updated 7:46 am)

<snip>
On Saturday night, in a first glimpse of what probably will be the last such work by Bender, a terminally ill artist with an 85 percent identification rate, detectives were to see art meet science. From what was just a hollowed, mummified skull, Bender produced a lifelike painted sculpture.

“This is the last one,” Bender said Friday in a phone interview from his home. “Most people with terminal cancer and eight months to live might not have even attempted this. But I didn’t want to turn this down if I could help identify him.”

Bender said the boy, age 10 to 12, had longish brown hair and a severe overbite that may help identify him. He was Caucasian, possibly Hispanic, and Bender has the feeling the boy was killed by someone he knew.

“I would say more than likely a caretaker — aunt, uncle, father, stepfather. That’s usually the way it goes,” Bender said.

“That’s why they don’t show up (as missing). You’re thinking, 'Oh, the parents are going to be doing everything under the sun to find them.’ ”

The people who organized the event believe someone will come forward.

“It could be that somebody sees that bust and says, 'Yes, I remember that child, and he disappeared right around then,’ ” said Mike Craig, a former police officer who founded N.C. SMART, the nonprofit missing-and-abducted response team that commissioned Bender. “Then, the investigation starts anew at that point.”

Bender, 68, is credited with solving dozens of murders and disappearances for the FBI, Scotland Yard and America’s Most Wanted.

much more here

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/02/06/article/dying_sculptor_hopes_to_learn_child_s_name

Prayers for Mr. Bender & his wife.

Very touching. Thanks for posting.

Prayers to them.

What a wonderful man he is. I hope his final days go smooth. I saw the show on John List years ago. I'm so happy he is helping with this case.

I noticed his wife was ill too, much prayers for her too....How very sad. He has done some great work for the cause.

Thanks for the post.

Goz

God Bless both Mr. Bender and his wife. What an amazing man, and what an amazing gift to choose his last work to be this child. I pray this child is identified and adds to Mr Benders amazing legacy.

hiw wife has terminal cancer too
how awful for them
he's done some amazing work

This is so sad....I read his book not too long ago and it was very interesting. He was never into his career for money or fame, just to help identify the missing. I still get chills when I see that bust of John List.

I'm so sorry to hear that both he and his wife are ill. I pray that the good Lord will bring peace to both of them.

I am so sad by the news that Frank Bender is terminally ill.
I had the chance to talk with him about a year ago.
I had emailed him about a case and he asked me to call.
He felt he could help in that missing person case. But
I turned the information over to police and family and
I don't know the results.
He was an eccentric but kind man. IMO>

The Girl With the Crooked Nose book was not only about Frank Bender's
forensic talent but a look inside working with Mexican authorities.

May he and his wife be surrounded by the crystal light of God's protection.

What an amazing man and such a sad story.

I'm wondering about this boy. He had $50 in his pocket? Neatly folded bills? Was he running away? Did someone "send" him away (parents - and I use that term loosely - "kick out" children even at a young age) and he met with foul play? He was wearing new sneakers, which stood out to me. Did he need new shoes for a long journey? Who bought them? Him? A loving parent? If it was a loving parent, wouldn't there be a missing child report? There wouldn't be a report if a) they didn't think he was missing (ie, they kicked him out) or b) they knew he was dead.

So many scenarios are running through my mind. I hope they solve this one, for the sake of everyone involved. It would be wonderful if they could at least come up with a name before Mr. Bender passes.

OK-Frank can't die. He can't. He changed my life-and he will never know how much. It is not fair to the world to lose a man such as this. It is not fair to the world of UID's to lose a man with such incredible vision and compassion.

God will cradle him-and God will cradle his family. But oh how I will miss knowing that Frank is not there to be a safety net any longer.....

Nelson Kepley
Photo Caption: Forensic artist Frank Bender studied the skull of John Doe 98-21372 and created a likeness of the boy.

On Sept. 25, 1998, a groundskeeper for a billboard company was mowing along the Interstate 85/ Buckhorn Road exit and discovered something in the long summer grass at the edge of the woods.
It was the scattered remains of a skeleton, a 10-year-old child, with tube socks and new boy’s sneakers still on the child’s feet. Folded neatly in the pocket of a pair of khaki shorts was $50 — two $20s, one $10.
http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/02/06/article/dying_sculptor_hopes_to_learn_child_s_name

Sorry as I wasn't sure where to post this. Mr. Bender is still alive thankfully. He was lauded the other day in a ceremony here in Philly, but I can't find the dang story.

However, Mr. Bender has a last wish and it's to find out who the "Woman In The Wodos" is. They have unveiled her likeness that Mr. Bender created. Help from the public is asked. Lots of information at link.

http://articles.mcall.com/2011-04-1...ulpture-leather-hair-barrette-forensic-artist

This is really sad I hope that anyone that studied under this man or along with him picked up on his unique gift . The world but more importantly the forensic society and missing people that need help have lost a great man ..

Thanks for posting Elmomom. How sad - he was an amazing man. I wasn't aware that he founded the Vidocq Sosiety, too. RIP Frank.

Rest in peace Fred. My sympathy to your family.

his wife has inoperable cancer too ... so sad

I hope someone comes forward to identify that little boy, even though Frank isn't here to witness it

his wife has inoperable cancer too ... so sad

I hope someone comes forward to identify that little boy, even though Frank isn't here to witness it

RIP Frank. What awesome work he did. Sadly, his wife Jan passed away in 2010.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back