Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Silicon Hills
    Posts
    9,232

    CO - Mom charged after baby found dead in garage

    LOVELAND - A Loveland infant who died 24 days after birth was kept in a dirty garage and had breathing difficulties that sometimes caused her to turn blue, according to an affidavit that led to the arrest of the baby's mother.

    Summer Moon Hawk, who was born on New Year's Day and was the first baby born this year at McKee Medical, died on Jan. 25. Her mother, Kaylynn Marie Davis, 20, was charged with child abuse resulting in death and is jailed under $300,000 bond.

    Davis sometimes left Summer and her 2-year-old sister, Pheonyx Davis, with strangers so she could go "party," according to an arrest warrant affidavit filed by Scott Highland of the Loveland Police Department. Close friends told police that Davis "actually becomes a better mother when she is high in that she has a little bit more patience and will pay a small amount of attention to them," the affidavit said.

    The Colorado Department of Human Services had an open case on Summer because she tested positive at birth for THC, a chemical in marijuana, according to the affidavit. DHS also had opened a case when Pheonyx Davis tested positive for THC when she was born on Dec. 30, 2007.

    DHS spokeswoman Liz McDonough said she was legally prohibited from speaking about individual cases.

    But she said in general, health care providers are required to notify the county human service office if there's evidence that the mother's behavior threatens the health of the child.

    The county will then develop "a safety plan for the child," with specific actions varying on a case by case basis. They could require increased supervision of the mother, parenting classes and taking custody of the child.

    DHS conducts a "fatality review" if an infant dies of suspected abuse or neglect within five years of involvement with the family welfare unit, McDonough said. She couldn't immediately say Monday whether such a review has begun in Summer's death.


    more heartwrenching details here

    http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=132391

    Find love & comfort in the arms of angels, baby Summer where you never have to be cold, hungry or alone again
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~



    Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org


  2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    937
    Poor baby girl. She never had a chance. I hope they have the sister someplace safe.

    Who leaves a newborn in a cold garage? Where the grandmother and great grandmother in the house while the baby was in the garage? How many generations failed this baby?


  4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Openmind For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,694
    So, the great grandmother sees the baby, sees that she is blue, feels that the temperature was freezing for a newborn...and went back to bed.
    The grandmother sees that the mother is needing help caring for the baby...and does nothing to assist.
    The mother leaves her two kids alone in a freezing garage, and runs around partying, instead of staying her arse at home with her kids, she having too much fun smoking pot, and essentially killing them...and no one does a dam thing.

    America the Freakin Beautiful.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.



  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,593
    Can there be sadder words, "fatality review", when you're talking about a tiny baby?

    Sleep little Summer Moon, you'll be warm and cuddly now.

    That's a lot of sadness, Texas Mist. We need to bear witness but still I know how our hearts all just sink when we read another one.

    (((hugs to you all)))


  7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,407
    The article said that it wasn't immediately clear who was caring for Summer's two-year-old sister. Well, I certainly hope it's not a member of the family. What kind of idiot sees a blue newborn and doesn't rush her to the emergency room? "You're good at putting them to bed but not waking them"??? Was grandma high, too??


  9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mr. E For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,995
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    So, the great grandmother sees the baby, sees that she is blue, feels that the temperature was freezing for a newborn...and went back to bed.
    The grandmother sees that the mother is needing help caring for the baby...and does nothing to assist.
    The mother leaves her two kids alone in a freezing garage, and runs around partying, instead of staying her arse at home with her kids, she having too much fun smoking pot, and essentially killing them...and no one does a dam thing.

    America the Freakin Beautiful.
    No kidding. It sounds like this kind of idiocy has been going on for generations in this family. I also hope the other child hasn't been left with grandma or great grandma.


  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CarrieBean For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    25
    I agree with all the posts above but wonder if DHS did any home visits. If this chilld tested positive, wouldn't take be a logical action? I know the systems is overloaded with cases in every state but that seems to be a huge flad to me, especially after the oldest child tested positive too.


  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kgriffin For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,694
    Quote Originally Posted by kgriffin View Post
    I agree with all the posts above but wonder if DHS did any home visits. If this chilld tested positive, wouldn't take be a logical action? I know the systems is overloaded with cases in every state but that seems to be a huge flad to me, especially after the oldest child tested positive too.
    Here, a THC positive baby is enough to open a case, it is not grounds for removal.
    To quote a family court judge, "It's only pot."
    ~sigh~
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.


  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,028
    I don't think this case has anything to do with drugs, at least in terms of it being some kind of mitigating "she wasn't in her right mind" factor. I say that only because it was one of the first things brought up in the article and while it should have been a red flag, I'm not sure it was a big factor.

    I think this was ignorance, laziness, indifference, and not just with the mother. Over and over there are all these quotes from family members and friends. The child was BLUE and great-grandma went to bed. Grandma, who is probably of age to have sound mind, helped her, but seemed perfectly fine with the fact that a newborn infant was sleeping in a dirty room at roughly the same temperature as a fridge. Not any newborn infant, but her grandchild.

    Then, there's what basically frames the narrative of the story. "She was actually a better mother when high because she had more patience..." "The baby would stop breathing and turn blue..." !!!! Why can the media find these people, yet those quoted never quite make it to DCF?

    I can't really blame the state in this case. I think there should have been followup, but somehow by the grace of God this baby made it to her well baby visits. The doctor said she didn't mention the breathing issues, but if she truly was congested--I'd think they'd have noticed that. Perhaps they did and didn't think it was serious. Babies get colds.

    Just boggles the mind. And at the end of the article, I found so many people at fault. In some ways, I almost blame the mother least because apparently it was obvious to everyone she was a moron. We need to look out for the morons in our society, and anyone who saw the baby in that cold room and did nothing, or went back to bed when they saw the baby was blue, or somehow found a voice when it came to the press--they're as guilty as the mom.

    Don't get me wrong. Mom should spend as much time as the law allows in prison and have a hysterectomy. I just think they could fill a few cells around her. As Brass would say, Felony Stupid.
    Last edited by MomofBoys; 02-09-2010 at 12:15 PM.


  17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MomofBoys For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,594
    Quote Originally Posted by MomofBoys View Post
    Then, there's what basically frames the narrative of the story. "She was actually a better mother when high because she had more patience..." "The baby would stop breathing and turn blue..." !!!! Why can the media find these people, yet those quoted never quite make it to DCF?
    You nailed it, people come out when the press comes and something bad happens, but forget telling DCF. I think, IMO, people don't want to get involved. They want to keep their friends, stay on good terms with neighbors, are scared of retaliation, etc... When something does happen and the media comes out, then it's 15 seconds of fame. It also means they don't have to worry about being "in trouble" with the offending person because that person is already in trouble with the law. It's not their fault, so now it's okay to talk. That's what I see anyway. The other thing is sometimes friends don't think it's that big of a deal and will downplay it to themselves thinking they're overreacting. Or they flat out don't care (until the media shows up).
    "Iím gonna miss that smile
    Iím gonna miss you my friend
    Even though it hurts the way it ended up
    Iíd do it all again
    So play it sweet in heaven
    ĎCause thatís right where you wana be
    Iím not crying because I feel so sorry for you
    Iím crying for me"

    ~ Toby Keith, Cryin' for Me/Wayman's Song


  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lyn1001 For This Useful Post:


  20. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,028
    Here, a THC positive baby is enough to open a case, it is not grounds for removal.
    To quote a family court judge, "It's only pot."
    I've never tried pot and have never had an interest in doing so. That said, I'm probably going to have an unpopular opinion here.

    I kinda get what the judge is saying. If you put pot up next to some of the stimulants, I'm not sure pot is any worse than a baby or mother testing positive for alcohol. Or levels of nicotine. Do I think it's a good thing? Absolutely not. It's just my personal opinion that if you're going to keep marijuana illegal, you should start with alcohol. Of course, prohibition had its own problems.

    I think a mother who smokes during pregnancy is just as negligent as someone who imbibes in pot. I think a mother who drinks while pregnant is just as irresponsible. The only difference is that lobbyists have been able to keep those legal while marijuana has been kept illegalized.

    I sound like someone who wants marijuana legalized, and that's not the case. The image of people walking around smoking pot is no better to me than having people blow smoke in my face at a concert. I just think that someone testing positive for THC doesn't necessarily make them any more irresponsible than a parent who chooses to smoke tobacco while pregnant, or who drinks. At least with drinking and smoking, there has been research done to show exactly what kind of effects the behavior has on the fetus and newborn. You can't put forth research with any credibility on marijuana because it's illegal and accurate, long-reaching studies don't exist.

    Again, I reiterate that it's wrong. I just think the irresponsibility/disconnect is the same with smoking and drinking as it is with pot. When I see an eight month pregnant woman with an obvious bump smoking outside of Moe's, I think she should be cited. What's the difference? That smoking's legal? That baby is still paying for its mother's selfishness. She's not putting the baby first in that situation, and I think with SOME mothers...that ability to put the baby second extends into other things. If a mother has a BAC at the birth of her infant, that baby should be removed. I'm just for equality in our outrage at people who abuse substances while pregnant, and nicotine and alcohol should be just as "gasp!" as marijuana.


  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MomofBoys For This Useful Post:


  22. #12
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    72,996
    Quote Originally Posted by MomofBoys View Post
    I don't think this case has anything to do with drugs, at least in terms of it being some kind of mitigating "she wasn't in her right mind" factor. I say that only because it was one of the first things brought up in the article and while it should have been a red flag, I'm not sure it was a big factor.

    I think this was ignorance, laziness, indifference, and not just with the mother. Over and over there are all these quotes from family members and friends. The child was BLUE and great-grandma went to bed. Grandma, who is probably of age to have sound mind, helped her, but seemed perfectly fine with the fact that a newborn infant was sleeping in a dirty room at roughly the same temperature as a fridge. Not any newborn infant, but her grandchild.

    Then, there's what basically frames the narrative of the story. "She was actually a better mother when high because she had more patience..." "The baby would stop breathing and turn blue..." !!!! Why can the media find these people, yet those quoted never quite make it to DCF?

    I can't really blame the state in this case. I think there should have been followup, but somehow by the grace of God this baby made it to her well baby visits. The doctor said she didn't mention the breathing issues, but if she truly was congested--I'd think they'd have noticed that. Perhaps they did and didn't think it was serious. Babies get colds.

    Just boggles the mind. And at the end of the article, I found so many people at fault. In some ways, I almost blame the mother least because apparently it was obvious to everyone she was a moron. We need to look out for the morons in our society, and anyone who saw the baby in that cold room and did nothing, or went back to bed when they saw the baby was blue, or somehow found a voice when it came to the press--they're as guilty as the mom.

    Don't get me wrong. Mom should spend as much time as the law allows in prison and have a hysterectomy. I just think they could fill a few cells around her. As Brass would say, Felony Stupid.

    I tend to agree with most of this, but DFS had TWO cases here. BOTH of these children were born with drugs in their system. Not just once, TWICE . I'm on why DFS wasn't more involved. They at least know the mother was on drugs for two years straight between births. That alone to ME is a red flag. Does DFS not do home checks when children are born to addicted mothers?

    Not only did the mother, the family, the friends quoted in the media, but DFS failed this child too. There were TOO MANY who saw the problems yet nothing was done to prevent this.

    I can only think and find some measure of comfort in the fact that it was cold in that garage and perhaps this baby 'fell asleep' due to hypothermia and wasn't in pain like so many of the children we read about here at WS.

    RIP little Summer. You are with the angels now. Spread your wings and play with Aveion and Eddie.


  23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  24. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virgina Beach, VA
    Posts
    481
    This is so sad! RIP baby Summer!
    All my posts are my opinion only! Unless otherwise stated!

    ~Justice for all~

    ďIf someone raises a dog to be aggressive it will be, no matter what breed it is.Ē

    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

    Link-less


  25. The Following User Says Thank You to raysgirl1126 For This Useful Post:


  26. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I tend to agree with most of this, but DFS had TWO cases here. BOTH of these children were born with drugs in their system. Not just once, TWICE . I'm on why DFS wasn't more involved. They at least know the mother was on drugs for two years straight between births. That alone to ME is a red flag. Does DFS not do home checks when children are born to addicted mothers?

    Not only did the mother, the family, the friends quoted in the media, but DFS failed this child too. There were TOO MANY who saw the problems yet nothing was done to prevent this.

    I can only think and find some measure of comfort in the fact that it was cold in that garage and perhaps this baby 'fell asleep' due to hypothermia and wasn't in pain like so many of the children we read about here at WS.

    RIP little Summer. You are with the angels now. Spread your wings and play with Aveion and Eddie.

    To be honest, it depends on what the court says. If a petition was brought before the court for services or removal, and the court denied it, then the State can't do anything. Just because a computer system shows the case as being open, doesn't mean it's still an open case. I know that sounds odd, but sometimes there is a lag time between the case closing and the computer system closing the case. On the other hand, if there was an actual ongoing case, then yes, someone should have been visiting.
    "Iím gonna miss that smile
    Iím gonna miss you my friend
    Even though it hurts the way it ended up
    Iíd do it all again
    So play it sweet in heaven
    ĎCause thatís right where you wana be
    Iím not crying because I feel so sorry for you
    Iím crying for me"

    ~ Toby Keith, Cryin' for Me/Wayman's Song


  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyn1001 For This Useful Post:


  28. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,594
    Quote Originally Posted by MomofBoys View Post
    I've never tried pot and have never had an interest in doing so. That said, I'm probably going to have an unpopular opinion here.

    I kinda get what the judge is saying. If you put pot up next to some of the stimulants, I'm not sure pot is any worse than a baby or mother testing positive for alcohol. Or levels of nicotine. Do I think it's a good thing? Absolutely not. It's just my personal opinion that if you're going to keep marijuana illegal, you should start with alcohol. Of course, prohibition had its own problems.

    I think a mother who smokes during pregnancy is just as negligent as someone who imbibes in pot. I think a mother who drinks while pregnant is just as irresponsible. The only difference is that lobbyists have been able to keep those legal while marijuana has been kept illegalized.

    I sound like someone who wants marijuana legalized, and that's not the case. The image of people walking around smoking pot is no better to me than having people blow smoke in my face at a concert. I just think that someone testing positive for THC doesn't necessarily make them any more irresponsible than a parent who chooses to smoke tobacco while pregnant, or who drinks. At least with drinking and smoking, there has been research done to show exactly what kind of effects the behavior has on the fetus and newborn. You can't put forth research with any credibility on marijuana because it's illegal and accurate, long-reaching studies don't exist.

    Again, I reiterate that it's wrong. I just think the irresponsibility/disconnect is the same with smoking and drinking as it is with pot. When I see an eight month pregnant woman with an obvious bump smoking outside of Moe's, I think she should be cited. What's the difference? That smoking's legal? That baby is still paying for its mother's selfishness. She's not putting the baby first in that situation, and I think with SOME mothers...that ability to put the baby second extends into other things. If a mother has a BAC at the birth of her infant, that baby should be removed. I'm just for equality in our outrage at people who abuse substances while pregnant, and nicotine and alcohol should be just as "gasp!" as marijuana.
    I can totally understand your point and where you're coming from. I wanted to let you know that in my area, often times alcohol is actually looked upon worse from the court's standpoint than pot (in children's services cases).
    "Iím gonna miss that smile
    Iím gonna miss you my friend
    Even though it hurts the way it ended up
    Iíd do it all again
    So play it sweet in heaven
    ĎCause thatís right where you wana be
    Iím not crying because I feel so sorry for you
    Iím crying for me"

    ~ Toby Keith, Cryin' for Me/Wayman's Song


  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyn1001 For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-2015, 02:22 PM
  2. FL - Mom charged after baby found with broken bones
    By peeples in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 06:31 PM
  3. Mom Arrested After Baby Found Bitten, Dead
    By Brini in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 08:39 AM
  4. 6-Year-Old Found Dead; Mom Likely To Be Charged
    By chicoliving in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 11:48 PM
  5. Father charged with murder after mom, 2 kids found dead in Aurora, Ont.
    By PrayersForMaura in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 11:25 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •