Why No AMBER Alert Issued For Baby Gabriel?

I don't know why they did not put out an amber alert. There are a lot of people who travel I-10/hwy90 from houston to San Antonio. There are several electronic boards that the alert would've been on. We were at our deer lease just south of San Antonio when this story broke. I seen it on the news, but if they would've put up the alert more people traveling would've seen it.
It may not have brought Gabriel home any sooner, but they have got a lead on the car sooner.

I could very well be wrong, and forgive me if I am, but I believe that Amber Alerts have certain criteria in order to be issued. Time elapsed, circumstances surrounding the kidnapping/missing, and the situation in which the child is believed to be in.. Once authorities knew of baby Gabe, the mother was claiming she killed him. So I think that is why.. But, completely jmo...

I think an Amber Alert should have been issued as soon as it was discovered that Eliz had left Tempe. That seems to have fit the AA criteria. There was a joint custody order in place, and Eliz was in violation.

I think the reason one wasn't issued after Eliz was arrested is because there was no adequate description of the couple she said had Gabe, and nothing to indicate the couple even existed.

It does seem there were several points where LE or CPS could have helped. Logan was crying out all over the place for help. He did everything right, took all the right steps. He was notifying people right and left that Gabe was in danger. I'm hoping at some point we'll hear why LE or CPS didn't support him.

Unfortunately, my opinion is that it's because he's the father. That's more unusual. I think mothers crying out for help that way get a more adequate response. I have no statistics to support that. Just a gut feeling and MOO.

The easy answer is that there are set criteria that a case must meet in order to activate AA. It's not enough that a child be missing, they usually need reason to believe that they have an abductor and sometimes vehicle description. It also must be activated as soon as possible after the abduction. Gabriel didn't meet the criteria, just like thousands of other kids every year. It is set up this way so that the public won't get burned out on the AA.

While I think they should have issued the alert, I'm not sure it would have helped much considering that EJ, Gabriel and the car were all in different locations.

But they didn't know that at the time so I am curious to know why they didn't issue the alert.

Whether he was known to be in another state shouldn't matter, that never stopped Amber Alerts before. I live in TX and have seen Amber Alerts for surrounding states recently. I think an Amber Alert could of made a difference if a couple had Gabriel. They had to make a stop somewhere and someone could of recognized his face. The first 24 hours was crucial.

While I think they should have issued the alert, I'm not sure it would have helped much considering that EJ, Gabriel and the car were all in different locations.

But they didn't know that at the time so I am curious to know why they didn't issue the alert.

Actually, all three were together until the 26th/27th of Dec. EJ had her grandfathers car until boarding the bus to Miami. Logan knew EJ was in San Antonio and tried to get help. TX ABSOLUTELY should have issued an alert. Think of all the people that saw them that could have alerted LE. The babysitter (possibly more than one), the workers at the hotel, the people at the restaurants, the library, the employee that sold her the bus ticket, and probably many more.

I know Logan is asking people not to be too harsh on LE, but I can't imagine ONE reason why an AA wasn't issued as soon as it was known that EJ left AZ with Gabe.

I'd like to know what date Tempe asked for the AA to be issued - whether it was prior to Dec 27.

I thought I read somewhere it was requested after the text/phone call from EJ. I'll have to look for it. You would think it would of been the day of the court date 12/21, when Logan received full custody of Gabriel. She fled with Gabriel and while gone, no longer had legal custody.

Thank you case calendar- On Dec. 21, in a petition to enforce child-custody determination, he wrote, "When Elizabeth gets mad, she can and will hurt the baby."

I thought I read somewhere it was requested after the text/phone call from EJ. I'll have to look for it. You would think it would of been the day of the court date when Logan received full custody of Gabriel. She fled with Gabriel and while gone, no longer had legal custody.

The court date was the 28th. Prior to that, she still had legal custody so there was no reason to issue an alert on the custody issue. It was the text on the 27th that was the only thing that would have given them cause to issue an alert IMO.

And at that point, EJ, Gabriel and the car were separated. Most likely Gabriel's appearance had been changed and he had been gone for at least 12 hours or more.

But I do agree that it would have generated a lot more tips than what they likely got, especially in the beginning when it was crucial to track down EJ's movements. And it would have gotten the national attention that this case needed. It still doesn't have that attention. Gabriel deserved better.

MOO

The court date was the 28th. Prior to that, she still had legal custody so there was no reason to issue an alert on the custody issue. It was the text on the 27th that was the only thing that would have given them cause to issue an alert IMO.

And at that point, EJ, Gabriel and the car were separated. Most likely Gabriel's appearance had been changed and he had been gone for at least 12 hours or more.

But I do agree that it would have generated a lot more tips than what they likely got, especially in the beginning when it was crucial to track down EJ's movements. And it would have gotten the national attention that this case needed. It still doesn't have that attention. Gabriel deserved better.

MOO

I thought the custody case was on the 21st. Was it the 28th?

I thought I read somewhere it was requested after the text/phone call from EJ. I'll have to look for it. You would think it would of been the day of the court date 12/21, when Logan received full custody of Gabriel. She fled with Gabriel and while gone, no longer had legal custody.

Thank you case calendar- On Dec. 21, in a petition to enforce child-custody determination, he wrote, "When Elizabeth gets mad, she can and will hurt the baby."

That's what I'm wondering. The news story doesn't say what date Tempe made the AA request. I'm thinking it might have been as early as Dec 21, and if that's the case, then it's truly outrageous no AA was issued.

There were so many points at which Gabe could have been rescued. He could have, *should* have, been home, safe and sound, with his daddy and a big warm loving family by Christmas. Instead we're searching Mexico and a landfill for him.

That's what I'm wondering. The news story doesn't say what date Tempe made the AA request. I'm thinking it might have been as early as Dec 21, and if that's the case, then it's truly outrageous no AA was issued.

There were so many points at which Gabe could have been rescued. He could have, *should* have, been home, safe and sound, with his daddy and a big warm loving family by Christmas. Instead we're searching Mexico and a landfill for him.

What part of "she can and will hurt the baby" did they not understand? It just breaks my heart. She no longer had custody, she fled and was a danger to the child.

I thought the custody case was on the 21st. Was it the 28th?

Logan got temporary full custody on Dec 21. The Dec 28 hearing was for permanent full custody.

Reference: Questions for the Family thread

ETA: They also had joint custody prior to Dec 21 - as of Dec 17 hearing. On Dec 20 at 9 or 9:30am, through that Wed, Logan's joint custody kicked in, and she was in violation morning of Dec 20.

Logan got temporary full custody on Dec 21. The Dec 28 hearing was for permanent full custody.

Reference: Questions for the Family thread

ETA: They also had joint custody prior to Dec 21 - as of Dec 17 hearing. On Dec 20 at 9 or 9:30am, through that Wed, Logan's joint custody kicked in, and she was in violation morning of Dec 20.

Well that kind of conflicts with the "they knew she was out of town visiting friends for the holidays and were okay with that" reports that came out in the beginning. :waitasec:

Well that kind of conflicts with the "they knew she was out of town visiting friends for the holidays and were okay with that" reports that came out in the beginning. :waitasec:

It sure does. I have no idea where that came from. Logan was anything but okay with his baby having been kidnapped.

The statement about her being out of town and they were okay with that came from a Tempe LE quote --

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/so...ZWBC0ifjg.cspx
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us
January 4th article
Tempe police Sgt. Steve Carbajal said Johnson left Arizona with her son Gabriel December 18.

"Everybody knew where she was and that was OK," Carbajal said. "She just wanted to get away for a while and then these series of events happened where it was a concern for the father that she would not show up for a hearing. His fears were confirmed."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back