1142 users online (226 members and 916 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy Homeless man offers reward for missing cat

http://fwix.com/sfbay/share/ad234149...or_missing_cat

Homeless man offers reward for missing cat
    Carl Nolte, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Daniel Harlan, a slight man with a wispy beard going gray, is just another face in the crowd in San Francisco. He is homeless, a street panhandler. Most people wouldn't give him a second glance except for his constant companion, a pug-nosed Himalayan cat named Samantha.

The cat made him stand out among panhandlers. Now the cat is gone. Stolen, Harlan thinks.
    Didn't quite know where to post this story, but aaawwwww.....

I was reading the comments after the story and people have posted that he now has his cat back, someone dropped it off at a police station.

VB
    Boyfriends and girlfriends are not Babysitters.
    Just because you want to be with somebody does not mean they will take care of your children.

Nice! Thanks Vegas Bride!

The person who took the cat believed he was rescuing her.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0f61l19Rd

I work in the City and walk by this man every day. I read the article about Samantha being taken yesterday morning and when I was walking to the ferry yesterday at noon he was in his usual spot but was holding Samantha. Apparently he had just got her back 30 minutes before so I chatted with him for a minute and then had to head off to catch my ferry home. All I can tell you is that he was so incredibly happy and I couldn't stop smiling for him. He's such a nice man and I like to give him granola bars, water, etc. when I walk by as I tend not not give homeless money since I don't know if they'll use it on drugs/alcohol...but apparently Harlan doesn't drink so I'll try to help out every once in a while. Samantha always seems to have an abundance of cat food around her and most definitely looks far from hungry. They're a very cute pair and I'm so glad he got her back. And Mr. Neville is a saint in my opinion.

What an awesome story! I am deeply touched!

I'm happy for the homeless man, but not so much for the cat. According to the article, the cat was soaking wet, covered with fleas and sores, tied all alone to a leash near dogs when he was found by Neville. IMO, Samantha is sacrificing having a comfortable, healthy, long life in order to make Mr. Harlan happy.

That's the funny thing Steadfast, I see that cat every day and I've never, ever seen it in poor condition. I can see the cat having fleas perhaps and on the day Mr. Neville rescued the cat is was raining cats and dogs (no pun intended) so maybe Samantha looked disheveled. I can honestly say that the cat is very loved but of course does not have a good "home environment."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy's mom View Post
    That's the funny thing Steadfast, I see that cat every day and I've never, ever seen it in poor condition. I can see the cat having fleas perhaps and on the day Mr. Neville rescued the cat is was raining cats and dogs (no pun intended) so maybe Samantha looked disheveled. I can honestly say that the cat is very loved but of course does not have a good "home environment."
    Now that so many people are aware of her, maybe Samantha will get some extra food and an occasional flea bath from kind residents.

well, he may love her but at what cost to her? has she ever been to a vet? maybe some local vet will offer a free checkup and some shots ... she could have any number of diseases

Cats fend for themselves in the wild all of the time...unkempt as Samantha may be to some folks at least she has a human that loves her and cares for her.

It saddens me that people seem to be more worried about a permanent home for Samantha and not so much for her owner. If only we could get him in a place they'd both have a place to call home.

I'm not coming down on anyone. I just don't see more value in Samantha's life. I wish they both could have a warm place to call home.

Quote Originally Posted by Disguiseduser0308 View Post
    It saddens me that people seem to be more worried about a permanent home for Samantha and not so much for her owner. If only we could get him in a place they'd both have a place to call home.

I'm not coming down on anyone. I just don't see more value in Samantha's life. I wish they both could have a warm place to call home.
    Well, the owner, as an adult male, is expected to be able to come up with living arrangements for himself.
    Cat, on the other hand, can not do so.

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Well, the owner, as an adult male, is expected to be able to come up with living arrangements for himself.
    Cat, on the other hand, can not do so.
    The homelessman is bound by whatever society feels is acceptable for a man and what they believe a man should be .The cat is the one who has it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmagent View Post
    The homelessman is bound by whatever society feels is acceptable for a man and what they believe a man should be .The cat is the one who has it easy.
    I presume by that you mean that no one expects for a cat to go out, get a job and rent an apartment?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast