GUILTY FL - Makia Coney, 17, Jacksonville, 10 Feb 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Teen Missing From University Christian

POSTED: Thursday, February 11, 2010
UPDATED: 9:46 am EST February 11, 2010

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The search is on for a 17-year-old girl was last seen about 3:15 p.m. Wednesday on the campus at University Christian School.

The school released a statement Thursday morning saying the upperclassman was reported missing after finishing classes for the day and leaving campus. School officials said the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office was notified and a search and investigation was launched.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with this student and their family and we are praying for a safe return," said a school statement.

more here

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22531563/detail.html

makiaconey.jpg

Jacksonville police 'strongly think' cases of missing girl, body found are connected
University Christian student went missing Wednesday afternoon; sheriff waiting on medical examiner's report

Jacksonville police believe but cannot confirm that the case of a missing University Christian student and the discovery of a body several miles away are connected.

Lt. Larry Schmitt of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said late this morning that police will be unable to say that the cases are linked until the medical examiner submits a report on the body, which was found Wednesday night near the 7600 block of Powers Avenue.

"We strongly think that the two cases are connected," Schmitt said.

School pastor and superintendant Frank Ciresi said earlier this morning school officials are hoping for the safe return of a missing student who has been identified as 17-year-old Makia Coney.

Ciresi said parents at the K-12 private school on University Boulevard near Interstate 95 should be confident their children will be safe. He said school is open and a school officials are prepared to answer calls from concerned parents.

"We are hoping for the safe return of our student who is missing as we speak. We don't have any further information," Ciresi said. "We would like to let our parents know that the security at University Christian school was not breached and you can feel safe about sending your children to school."

A news release put out by the school at 8:20 a.m. stated the missing student is a high school upperclassman who went missing after finishing the school day and leaving campus. The press release did not identify the student further.

Police said the student was reported missing to police about 6 p.m. A bicyclist reported finding a body shortly after 6 p.m. while riding near Baker Skinner Park on Powers Avenue, about three miles from the school.

In a late-night press conference, police said foul play was suspected as there were obvious signs of trauma to the body, but gave no other details.

Schmitt said the student attended school and disappeared after leaving when school had ended.

more here

http://jacksonville.com/community/s...e_strongly_think_cases_of_missing_girl_body_f

how frightening!!

Prayers for Makia & the family of the person found.

this showed up on news4jax site within minutes after I posted the 'missing' story :(

Family Confirms That Body Is Teen's
Body Found 3 Miles From Where 17-Year-Old Was Last Seen

UPDATED: 11:43 am EST February 11, 2010

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Police are waiting for confirmation from the medical examiner, but the family of a missing 17-year-old girl says the body found along Powers Avenue Wednesday evening is that of Makia Coney.

About 11:30 a.m. Thrusday, family spokesman and City Councilman Johnny Gaffney confirmed the worst news.

"The family definitely knows it is the body -- it is the young lady," Gaffney said. "The mother, the father, they are terribly upset."

Homicide detectives said a person on a bicycle reported seeing the body just off Powers Avenue just before 6 p.m. Police and evidence technicians spent the night gathering evidence in the 7600 block of Powers Avenue, several hundred yards from Baker Skinner Park and not far from Wolfson High School.

Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Lt. Larry Schmitt said there was obvious trauma to the body, but would not provide any details, including whether the victim was male or female.

About the same time the body was found, 17-year-old Makia Coney was reported missing. She was last seen about 3:15 p.m. leaving the campus of University Christian School, where she is a student.

The school, on University Boulevard West near Interstate 95, is approximately 3 miles from where the body was found.

more here

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22532465/detail.html

this showed up on news4jax site within minutes after I posted the 'missing' story :(

Family Confirms That Body Is Teen's
Body Found 3 Miles From Where 17-Year-Old Was Last Seen

UPDATED: 11:43 am EST February 11, 2010

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Police are waiting for confirmation from the medical examiner, but the family of a missing 17-year-old girl says the body found along Powers Avenue Wednesday evening is that of Makia Coney.

About 11:30 a.m. Thrusday, family spokesman and City Councilman Johnny Gaffney confirmed the worst news.

"The family definitely knows it is the body -- it is the young lady," Gaffney said. "The mother, the father, they are terribly upset."

Homicide detectives said a person on a bicycle reported seeing the body just off Powers Avenue just before 6 p.m. Police and evidence technicians spent the night gathering evidence in the 7600 block of Powers Avenue, several hundred yards from Baker Skinner Park and not far from Wolfson High School.

Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Lt. Larry Schmitt said there was obvious trauma to the body, but would not provide any details, including whether the victim was male or female.

About the same time the body was found, 17-year-old Makia Coney was reported missing. She was last seen about 3:15 p.m. leaving the campus of University Christian School, where she is a student.

The school, on University Boulevard West near Interstate 95, is approximately 3 miles from where the body was found.

more here

OMG thats horrible! The poor family!

Beautiful girl, so very sad. Prayers are with the family.

She is beautiful.

On her myspace page, she was so looking forward to graduation.
"just three more months of senior year"

So sad. :(

Prayers to her family and friends.

Why was she reported so quickly? That raises my hinky meter..... She was last seen about 3:15 p.m. and was reported missing about 6:00 p.m. Is that because the school has a closed campus? There must be a reason why a 17 year old that is gone for about 3 hours is considered at risk and reported missing?

Salem

Why was she reported so quickly? That raises my hinky meter..... She was last seen about 3:15 p.m. and was reported missing about 6:00 p.m. Is that because the school has a closed campus? There must be a reason why a 17 year old that is gone for about 3 hours is considered at risk and reported missing?

Salem

I'm guessing she normally was picked up, or called to let her parents know what her plans were....just speculating because it seems her parents reported her missing very quickly....and that there wasn't an "official" missing persons report until LEOs showed up hours later. :(

Police say she left campus on her own but wouldn't say if it was in a car or by foot. They told Action News that this was not her normal behavior.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/mostpo...dy-found-is-Makia/-1j-ZyI8GkC48rrfkAy-ZA.cspx

Makia wasn't at University Christian School when her parents went to pick her up yesterday afternoon. Police said her step-father was suppose to pick her up.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=151907&catid=3

Makia has a younger sister, Beatrice “BeaBea,” 15, who also attends University Christian, Gaffney said. The sisters were to have been picked up at school Wednesday afternoon.

Gaffney said it took two to three hours for police to arrive at the school after Makia’s parents filed a missing person’s report. He said police didn’t arrive until after he made a phone call inquiring about the report.

Gaffney said Makia left school with someone but wouldn’t identify the person, citing the ongoing police investigation.

http://jacksonville.com/community/s...hool_confirms_death_of_missing_girl_17?page=1

Okay - I see now why her parents were worried so quickly. They were supposed to pick her up and she wasn't there. I would immediately be worried also. It sounds as if the parents called police right away but LE did not respond right away.

Prayers for this family,

Salem

What's really sad too is that it sounds like the parents went to ID the body or saw a pic....they said Makia was beaten - "undescribable how badly she was beaten."

And in the jacksonville.com link I posted above, LE said "condition of the body made immediate identification impossible".

Sounds like a rage killing, up close & personal...or some whacked out drugged up psycho.

It's horrible...send your kids off to school & one doesn't come home again - and then to find out how brutal & violent her death was. :(

I don't know how I could ever deal w/ something like that.

Prayers that they catch the monster who did this, and strength for the family & friends to get through the heartbreak.

This is so sad :( My thoughts and prayers go out to Makia's family and friends.

I hope police know who it is that Makia left school with, and hopefully that person can provide some answers.

Gaffney said Makia left school with someone but wouldn’t identify the person, citing the ongoing police investigation.

so they do know who she left with and she was reported missing very quickly ... wonder what's going on here ... kinda seems to me that the parents knew that she had left with the 'unnamed' person and suspected that person was capable of hurting her

maybe someone had been stalking her ... perhaps her sister told them who Makia walked away with or gave them some kind of information that immediately set off alarm bells

R.I.P. Makia - a pretty name for a pretty girl

Investigators Look to Makia Coney's MySpace Page

Monica Landeros Taren Reed
Created: 2/11/2010 10:20:03 PM Updated: 2/12/2010 12:33:28 PM

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A Northside teenager's body was found hours after she wasn't where she was supposed to be picked up from school. Officials are searching Makia's MySpace page for potential clues.

Makia Coney hasn't been heard from or seen since Wednesday afternoon. Police say there is a three hour gap from the time Makia left University Christian School to the time a body was found in the woods several miles away in Baker Skinner Park.

<snip>
Makia's MySpace page has several pictures of the teen with friends. Police are looking into a message posted on her page by her for any clues.

On her MySpace page, Makia called herself "Miss Kia," and the headline for her page is "Seven More Days." Makia last login is shown as Feb. 2, meaning seven days later would have been the ninth, she disappeared Feb. 10.

Makia's MySpace page also lists she's 'In a Relationship.' However, police wouldn't confirm that and won't speculate if Makia was attempting to meet with someone in the area or if there is any link to her MySpace page and her disappearance.

Police said they are well-aware of the message, but won't speculate what the message could mean. Police are, however, looking into all her contacts with friends on the Internet.

"That's the new way for kids to communicate these days. It's part of what we do; it's part of what we're doing in this case, and really all cases," said Assistant Chief Tom Hackney with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

Over the past 24 hours, police have also taken to the streets, knocking on doors of potentially hundreds of people who live in the apartments directly across the street from where her body was found.

more here

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=151924&catid=3

Oh my. That is just tragic. What is wrong with this world when a classmate would do this for no reason.

Wow, oh wow - is all I can say. WTH is wrong with "people?"

Wow. Why would someone do this?? I don't understand. :(

:rose: Rest in peace Makia.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member