Fashion Designer Alexander McQueen Dies

Recovering-Lurker

I'm Back and on My Best Behavior
Reaction score
Designer Alexander McQueen Dies

There are reports claiming McQueen took his own life -- but so far, an official cause of death has not been released.

The UK media organization, Sky News, is reporting that McQueen was found hanged in his apartment . Sky News also reports that local police have said the death would not be "treated as suspicious."

The 40-year-old designer often designed outfits for Lady Gaga, Rihanna and Prince Charles.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/11/designer-alexander-mcqueen-dies/#ixzz0fFjTWmwE

http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/11/designer-alexander-mcqueen-dies/

i was so sad to see this, he was really an amazing designer...one of the most exquisite tailors i've seen. he always seemed hilarious in interviews. RIP and love to his family.

I just read about this! How sad. McQueen was so talented. RIP.

No. Way. OMG-RIP...what an incredible, incredible talent. If he took his own life, I hope he is at peace from whatever demons were haunting him...:(

I just found out about this and am shocked. I was so looking forward to the reveal of his Spring 2010 collection next week. McQueen was more than just a guy who makes clothes, he was a true visionary and his clothing and his fashion shows were incredible works of art. His shows were dark, moody, ethereal and utterly fearless. He managed to make bold social and cultural statements through his clothes, the prints he used, the ambiance created on stage, the props, the make-up worn by the models. His last collection which had a very strong reptilian theme was ultimately a statement about humans environmental impact and where that might lead us.

RIP McQueen.

Alexander McQueen was brilliant. I was so saddened to hear this news, especially for a young talented life to end this way.

I remember on Project Runway one of the designers copied a feather wedding dress created by McQueen and Michael Kors recognized the similarities. It was not a good day for that designer to say the least. However, my thoughts were imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Rest in Peace, Mr. McQueen, your creativity will forever be remembered.

I thought fashion blogger Tavi Gevinson wrote a beautiful and accurate eulogy about McQueen and his talent. Link Below.

Try not to keep in mind as you look at her post that she is 13 yrs old. I am almost embarrassed to say I read her blog almost daily but she is probably about the most intelligent and articulate 13 yr old you will find on the internet. She might be 14 by now but whatever. She is middle-school. She started her blog when she was 11 yrs basically about exploring her own fashion and posting pictures of her outfits, then graduated into following designers and before long she got a following and then fashion designers and editors started knocking. Now she gets front row seats at shows like Dior and Chanel - much to the chagrin of seasoned fashion editors who are having to sit 2 rows behind her. She writes for POP magazine and Vogue and she has been featured in the NY Times and been on the cover a few magazines.
ANYway - my pt is I think she wrote a nice piece about McQueen. She wrote about him a lot on her blog and obviously admired him greatly.

http://tavi-thenewgirlintown.blogspot.com/2010/02/rip-alexander-mcqueen.html

I thought fashion blogger Tavi Gevinson wrote a beautiful and accurate eulogy about McQueen and his talent. Link Below.

Try not to keep in mind as you look at her post that she is 13 yrs old. I am almost embarrassed to say I read her blog almost daily but she is probably about the most intelligent and articulate 13 yr old you will find on the internet. She might be 14 by now but whatever. She is middle-school. She started her blog when she was 11 yrs basically about exploring her own fashion and posting pictures of her outfits, then graduated into following designers and before long she got a following and then fashion designers and editors started knocking. Now she gets front row seats at shows like Dior and Chanel - much to the chagrin of seasoned fashion editors who are having to sit 2 rows behind her. She writes for POP magazine and Vogue and she has been featured in the NY Times and been on the cover a few magazines.
ANYway - my pt is I think she wrote a nice piece about McQueen. She wrote about him a lot on her blog and obviously admired him greatly.

Gaia, thank you for sharing that with us. What a talented young lady. Obviously gifted with an artistry and eye.

This is so sad. It's a desperation when we hear of anyone so talented, gifted, creative to pass over, but Mr. McQueen was just something else.

My mom is beside herself. Although in her late years she still has her eye and always loved McQueen. I was so enamored by this man's talent. I don't know anything about design save from watching my mother work, but I do know what I like. Etheral beauty.

Please rest in peace dear man.

I read an article that his mother died just last week and he was taking it hard. Also, the lady who "discovered" him committed suicide 3 yrs. ago. So, those incidents had to have impacted him profoundly.

I also read Tavi's blog daily. I knew she would be heartbroken.

This is really really sad. Alexander McQueen was incredibly talented.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. :rose:

McQueen's final collection was unveiled a few hours ago. I did not have much luck finding pictures until I thought of ol' Tom and Lorenzo's blogspot and sure enough.

Luscious is the word that comes to mind when looking at this collection. I think this is really one of my favorite collections by him. It is just stunning, rich, regal, so well tailored and just utterly gorgeous.

http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2010/03/alexander-mcqueen-fall-2010-collection.html

McQueen's final collection was unveiled a few hours ago. I did not have much luck finding pictures until I thought of ol' Tom and Lorenzo's blogspot and sure enough.

Luscious is the word that comes to mind when looking at this collection. I think this is really one of my favorite collections by him. It is just stunning, rich, regal, so well tailored and just utterly gorgeous.

http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2010/03/alexander-mcqueen-fall-2010-collection.html

Speechless.

Feels like I just viewed a gallery of Byzantine art with a tear in my eye. Just how can anything be so beautiful?

Thank you sooooooooo much Gaia. I can't wait to show my mom. I love how with alot of Mr. McQueen's art he put all the work at the top of his dresses. Stunning.

Thank you again for sharing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back