Mexico - Amado Torres & Maria Hernandez for selling babies in US, 2008

Missizzy

Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't help myself. Where's Laura Silsby? I'm so afraid when they release her from Haiti, we'll see her pop up again in a scheme like this. Once again, this is defined as human trafficking.

Texas couple gets prison for selling Mexican babies

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news...ison-for-selling-Mexican-babies-84046932.html

A Texas man and his girlfriend were sentenced to nine years in prison for recruiting Mexican women to give birth in the U.S. and sell their babies to couples there, a judge said Wednesday.

Amado Torres, of Harlingen, Texas, and Maria Isabel Hernandez, of Mexico, paid women up to $3,000 for their newborns, Tamaulipas state Judge Jose Luis Bazan told The Associated Press. He handed down their sentences for child trafficking on Jan. 29.

Bazan said the pregnant women were smuggled into the United States to give birth so their babies would be U.S. citizens, making them more easily adoptable."

and

"Three women who testified that they sold their babies to the pair out of economic desperation were sentenced to six years in prison."

and

"Torres and Hernandez received up to $13,000 from U.S. couples for the babies, Cervantes said."

More at link

And these 2 are probably only the tip of the iceberg in underground adoptions in TX.

I know you know I've compared Laura Silsby to Tammi Peters-Smith, MissIzzy, and one of the reasons why is because of the 'adoption' scam.

Tammi, it appears, has some knowledge of underground adoptions &/or how to work the legal system...even if it means encouraing someone to put false information on legal docs.

Goodness help us if she & Silsby *ever* cross paths.

right, but there are those who would deny that it's happening

and who are the couples buying the babies?

I wish we knew how the couples are able to fly under LE's radar!

Doesn't seem they are able to find the babies - I wonder if they're taking them out of the US.

I have to say that I'm always perplexed by "black market" adoptions. There are so many checks and balances. The courts, the homestudies, the interstate compact.....I don't fully "get it".

Of course, I understand supply and demand but $13,000? This might shock some folks but that's the low end for a legal adoption of a healthy baby in the US and a fairly typical cost for numerous foreign countries. We've never had a compact with Mexico and adoptions from Mexico are fraught with unending problems. I think many in the US have no idea about this. I'm wondering about who the adoptive parents are as healthy babies could be "sold" for far greater sums. Isn't that sickening to even read?

These are not what I'd call your typical international adoption, however. This is human trafficking at its worst. I agree that it's the tip of the iceberg. I'm just pleased to see that phrase is in the news more often. Education is getting out there.

I wonder what happens to the children, in the long run? What a morass.

Forgot to point out that there's our word of the week--the M word. Silsby completely spoiled that word for me. I've noticed that that's how she referred to herself so often that the media has picked it up. I'm sure that makes her pleased as punch. Personally, I think it's a slap in the face of all charitable and honorable missionaries who are doing great work. Maybe she'll start in with another M word--martyr--just to see if the media will grab that one too.

"Torres, originally from Puerto Rico, initially claimed he was a missionary helping pregnant mothers unable to pay for their medical expenses and the costs of raising a child."

well the jaycee board was jumping tonight for the first time in ages......

but i have to say, this is weird beyond belief....
and why did the nail the smugglers, the mothers, but not the buyrs?

well the jaycee board was jumping tonight for the first time in ages......

but i have to say, this is weird beyond belief....
and why did the nail the smugglers, the mothers, but not the buyrs?

I don't think they found any of the infants.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back