Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    Good suggestion. The timeline and general looks are right, but I think the age discrepancy is too much, and it looks to me like the dead girl's earlobes are small and unattached while Belay's are long and attached. So probably not.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:

Two things that make me doubt that Saron Belay is Jane Doe.

This woman appears to be either African or East Asian (i.e., India, Sri Lanka). She doesn't appear to have any Hispanic ethnicity.

Secondly, her age 37 is much older than the estimated age for the Jane Doe Normally, the estimates of a decedent's age is based on cranial sutures and dental characteristics. These characteristics are much different for a 37 year old than they are for a person in their teens and early 20's.

ETA, thanks for bringing her case to our attention though. I live fairly close to Lawndale and Norwalk, and the Green Line train connects my hometown to Norwalk. I will certainly keep my eye out for her.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-17-2010 at 11:56 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    This girl just showed up yesterday in NAMPN.

Noemi Pineda

http://www.nampn.org/cases/pineda_noemi.html

She is from Rialto - Right in the middle of the area where most of the Fiesta Foods markets are located. (The woman's head was found in a Fiesta Foods grocery bag within a backpack).

She went missing August 10, 2009. The head was found February 10, 2010.

The timeframe is a bit of a stretch. But IMO, she does resemble the Jane Doe.

ETA, her closed-mouth smile looks typical of someone who is self-conscious of her teeth. And despite the closed mouth, she does appear to have prominent teeth.

Agreed?
    Another thing that I didn't mention before - Look closely at their noses. They both have that unusual shaped ridge of the tip of their noses (particularly at their right side of the tip of the nose).
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-10-2012 at 07:56 PM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Another thing that I didn't mention before - Look closely at their noses. They both have that unusual shaped ridge of the tip of their noses (particularly at their right side of the tip of the nose).
    WOW, the resemblance is stunning.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Justice For This Useful Post:

Here is another photo of Noemi side-by-side with Jane Doe. Unfortunately, you can't see her ears in this photo either (other than the lobe of her left-ear). It does appear though, from both photos that she has drooped ear lobes, as does the Jane Doe.

And from the hoop earrings in the other photo, we know that her ears are pierced, as are Jane Doe's (Not all that revealing, as most women have pierced ears).

Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-10-2012 at 08:04 PM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

She looks very close to me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

How about this girl? She is missing from Bakersfield, CA. Only a couple of hours from Barstow. There is also a Fiesta Foods in Bks. with a Walgreens only a couple of miles away...She has been missing for awhile, but who knows???
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Proud WS N-LIB

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMLsmom For This Useful Post:

I mirrored the Jane Doe reconstruction drawing so that their heads would be turned the same direction. And then, I compared the two images using the trace-line overlay test and the superimposed images test.

In both tests, Noemi's features line up to the Jane Doe drawing quite nicely.

Trace-Line Overlay

Superimposed Images

I have done these tests on other occasions and was able to make the two images line up, even though they weren't the same person. So I would not say that is conclusive proof that this Jane Doe is Noemi Pineda, but I am pretty confident that I have the right person here.

BTW, It's kind of eerie Noemi's photo and the NCMEC facial reconstruction have almost exactly identical backgrounds and they are wearing similar black blouses. It's almost like the artist was working from Noemi's photo.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-10-2012 at 08:00 PM.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PMLsmom View Post
    How about this girl? She is missing from Bakersfield, CA. Only a couple of hours from Barstow. There is also a Fiesta Foods in Bks. with a Walgreens only a couple of miles away...She has been missing for awhile, but who knows???
    I also tried the trace-line overlay test with Yamileth Rogel, and I can't get the features to line up the same way that I was able to with Noemi Pineda above. When I line up Yamileth's eyes on the same vertical plane as Jane Doe's eyes and scale the photos so that their chins line up, Yamileth's eyes widen too far, her face width becomes wider than JD's face, and her nose and mouth sit below those of Jane Doe.

There is no way to scale the trace-line to make it align to all of Jane Doe's facial features.

Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-10-2012 at 08:02 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    I mirrored the Jane Doe reconstruction drawing so that their heads would be turned the same direction. And then, I compared the two images using the trace-line overlay test and the superimposed images test.
    <snip>
    I have done these tests on other occasions and had the two images line up, even though they weren't the same person. So I would not say that is conclusive proof that this Jane Doe is Noemi Pineda, but I am pretty confident that I have the right person here.

BTW, It's kind of eerie Noemi's photo and the NCMEC facial reconstruction have almost exactly identical backgrounds and they are wearing similar black blouses. It's almost like the artist was working from Noemi's photo.
    Yes, I noticed that about the background and blouse -- a couple of times when I was comparing features, I lost track of which one was the reconstruction. The shape of the eyes was what struck me, and the tip of the nose.

There is something through the cheeks and upper lip that gives me pause, but it's not something I can measure. Will be quite surprised if this is not the girl. Poor thing.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    There is something through the cheeks and upper lip that gives me pause, but it's not something I can measure. Will be quite surprised if this is not the girl. Poor thing.
    Remember that her cheeks were puffier in the earlier version of this facial reconstruction. Here is the earlier version.

I commented earlier in this thread that the artist was probably compensating for bloating. In this instance, i suspect that maybe the artist mistook her baby fat in the cheeks for bloating, and overcompensated by removing the puffiness and putting in strong dimples the depiction.

I know from having done about 20 or so reconstructions for Doe Network - it is difficult to accurately depict a decedent smiling because the expressionless face of a decedent (or sometimes the wide-open mouth expression) does not reveal very well what shape the flexing cheek muscles would take or how prominent their dimples appear when they are smiling. Usually the dimples and contour of the smiling cheeks is purely a guess.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-10-2012 at 08:03 PM.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

I have done this test on other occasions and had the two images line up, even though they weren't the same person. So I would not say that is conclusive proof that this Jane Doe is Noemi Pineda, but I am pretty confident that I have the right person here.

Excellent work. Thank you! These two faces are so eerily similar.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Justice For This Useful Post:

This may be an unanswerable question but - Noemi's skin looks so much lighter than the decedent's. Given that skin tone could be one of the easier things to get right in a reconstruction, is there an explanation for this? For instance, could it be due to increased exposure to sunlight when traveling, or due to postmortem oxidation of skin/pigments?

Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    This may be an unanswerable question but - Noemi's skin looks so much lighter than the decedent's. Given that skin tone could be one of the easier things to get right in a reconstruction, is there an explanation for this? For instance, could it be due to increased exposure to sunlight when traveling, or due to postmortem oxidation of skin/pigments?
    A head severed 2 to 3 days prior probably looks quite pale by that time. The artist probably had to guess somewhat on her skin tone.

If you look at the photos of her ears, they don't look like they come from someone with that dark of a complexion.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

[quote=CarlK90245;5077438]Here is another photo of Noemi side-by-side with Jane Doe. Unfortunately, you can't see her ears in this photo either (other than the lobe of her left-ear). It does appear though, from both photos that she has drooped ear lobes, as does the Jane Doe.

And from the hoop earrings in the other photo, we know that her ears are pierced, as are Jane Doe's (Not all that revealing, as most women have pierced ears).

I think it looks like her for sure, but not sure where the second photo here came from, but is that a mole on her chin or just a blemish? The decent had "no identifiable scars, marks, tattoos or other distinguishing features were discovered".
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-10-2012 at 08:04 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Billylee For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast