GUILTY WA - Colton Harris-Moore - A criminal with a fan base of +18000

Blue_Dolphin308

We can't help everyone, But everyone can help some
Reaction score
A teen bandit from the small Washington island of Camano has been on the run for 20 months and is being touted as a modern-day Jesse James. Police say the young outlaw is an amateur criminal — but a master escape artist

Since then, the now-18-year-old fugitive has eluded police in Washington, Idaho and Canada, repeatedly vanishing into the woods. Police suspect he's stolen at least two planes, two boats and several cars, plus broken into more than 50 homes. Yet the only thing growing faster than Harris-Moore's alleged rap sheet is his legend.
Lawless But Loved

"I don't understand it, myself," says county sheriff Mark Brown. He bristles at the mention of Harris-Moore's exploding popularity.
"Reasonable people would not want to idolize somebody or sensationalize somebody who's a thief," he says.
Harris-Moore is wanted in five counties on multiple charges. But 10 of those charges are in Harris-Moore's hometown of Camano Island — Brown's jurisdiction.

Fans as far away as Greece, Italy and Australia extend open-door invitations through the magic of Facebook. To date, there are more than 16,000 members of a fan page for Harris-Moore.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122630422

This kid needs to be found before he starts upping his anti!

— An airplane that may have been stolen by an elusive teen bandit drew plenty of attention from federal officials as it skirted a flight zone set up for the Vancouver Olympics.
But it never entered the restricted airspace during its erratic flight Wednesday night — and that might have ensured that whoever was flying it got away when the aircraft landed at Orcas Island airport.

Real-time information that the plane was headed for the Orcas airport "may have been helpful" in catching the pilot, Cumming said.
Instead, the sheriff didn't learn about the plane until it was discovered at the airport on Thursday morning.
By that time, someone had already broken into the Homegrown Market, taken $1,200 in cash, cleaned out a dessert tray, wrecked the surveillance system and drawn cartoonish chalk-outline feet all over the floor.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hsgqWHdAsqTic_HvmlNDQIS-pGdAD9DQV6780

His mom is writing a book about him and his fiasco, and planning on using the funds to open up an animal shelter!

IMO His mom should be charged with aiding and abbetting! But she swears that she knows NOTHING!

his mother:

"And if he flew those planes without lessons. I am very, very proud."

no wonder he's a criminal with a mother who supports him like that
f.y.i. mom: how proud will you be when your criminal son evolves to murder?
your son and you are the poster children for stupidity - good luck with those book sales - I sure won't be buying one

In a country which has made folk heroes out of murderers such as Jesse James, John Dillinger, and Bonnie & Clyde, I'd say that the wave of popularity Colton Harris-Moore is riding is a very tame wave indeed.

Bumoing to see if anyone else has any feed back!

I will openly admit as 23 year old man, i am a fan of this criminal. Honestly as long as he isnt endangering anyone but himself, he is just being juvenile and i feel no remorse for enjoying him outsmart police over and over. I've been reading on this for the last year and a half or so, and every time i read more i become more interested. I am not tempted to do this escapade on my own, but more power to him. I will feel the same when he's caught, i just fear he wont make it into a courtroom.

I searched for a thread on this, but surprisingly didn't find one, so I thought I'd start one. This criminal has gotten nationwide and even worldwide attention in magazines (People Magazine did an article on him 2 weeks ago), TV stations across the world, and even Facebook.

Teen Bandit Reported To Be Back in Oregon

After years spent antagonizing authorities in Washington state and B.C., America’s favourite teen bandit is now reportedly operating in Oregon — where he finds himself the suspect in a string of crimes.

Police in the northwest town of Warrenton, Ore., are analyzing fingerprints to determine if a rash of thefts there are the handiwork of Colton Harris-Moore, known to his legion of fans as the Barefoot Bandit.

The 19-year-old, know for his tendency to steal and crash-land planes, is believed to be behind a boat theft, an attempted plane theft and a car theft that happened within an hour of each other on June 1.

Harris-Moore has been on the lam since escaping from a minimum security facility in Renton, Wash., in 2008.

Since then, he’s believed responsible for a string of robberies of everything from planes, boats and cars throughout Washington’s Island and San Juan counties, as well a rash of robberies that have stretched as far as B.C.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Not...orted+Oregon/3167403/story.html#ixzz0rARu1y2v

Snipped http://www.theprovince.com/news/Not...oot+Bandit+reported+Oregon/3167403/story.html

I actually just read about him in Rolling Stone about a month ago. This kid is amazing. It's interesting to see what he has accomplished (not sure thats the right word :). He has taken a few planes on joy rides (btw, he is a self taught pilot), eluded/out run police, lived in vacant vacation homes.

A few weeks ago there was an offer of $50, 000 to turn himself in, and a free lawyer. I wish he had done that. He would have spent minimum time in a minimum security prison and then end up with a great job as a consultant with the FBI (moo). He is highly intellegent and, I think, would be a great asset to law enforcement.

I google him every week or so to see what he has been up to. It's a real "catch me if you can" kind of thing. Its quite interesting to read up on him.

I actually just read about him in Rolling Stone about a month ago. This kid is amazing. It's interesting to see what he has accomplished (not sure thats the right word :). He has taken a few planes on joy rides (btw, he is a self taught pilot), eluded/out run police, lived in vacant vacation homes.

A few weeks ago there was an offer of $50, 000 to turn himself in, and a free lawyer. I wish he had done that. He would have spent minimum time in a minimum security prison and then end up with a great job as a consultant with the FBI (moo). He is highly intellegent and, I think, would be a great asset to law enforcement.

I google him every week or so to see what he has been up to. It's a real "catch me if you can" kind of thing. Its quite interesting to read up on him.

I've been following his story too, and this kid is freakin' amazingly crafty. ITA, he'd make a good investigator if he ever gets nabbed and serves his time...he certainly knows how the criminal mind works!

"It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt":D

Is that the saying like mom's say? Or "It's all fun until somebody knocks and eye out".

How does one become a self-taught pilot? I never heard of this kid I'm gonna look him up.

Kaylynn...thanks so much for posting this.....

I have to admit that I have been following Colton's story for quite a bit now and am fascinated by it!

it is interesting, BUT this guy is in serious trouble with the law. He needs to pay for his crimes just like everybody else.

I can't wait until the day they finally catch him.

I agree with everyone..it IS fascinating, but this kids crimes seem to be getting worse and worse.

I recently read an article in People magazine where his mother gave an interview with some pretty chilling statements such as "he would be likely to fire at police officers" and things like that. It seems like he's had quite the life so far..and I just hope he ends this crime spree soon.

I've been interested in this story for awhile. Seems as though he left 100$ at the humane society not too long ago. I'm even more interested in it now that they believe he was in yankton, sd the town I'm from. You can read the article on keloland.com ....I'm not sure if posting that is aloud so someone delete the link if not...I would direct link it but I'm on my iPod.

First of all, he is 19, which is hardly a kid.
Second of all, describing someone accused of crimes as "amazing" really rubs me the wrong way.

I've been following his story too, and this kid is freakin' amazingly crafty. ITA, he'd make a good investigator if he ever gets nabbed and serves his time...he certainly knows how the criminal mind works!

I see nothing to suggest that this adult male, an accused criminal, has any interest in becoming an investigator, or anything of the sort.

Some think the barefoot bandit has moved to the east, leaving a series of car thefts and airport break-ins reported in South Dakota, Nebraska and Iowa. One couple found someone in their home, the guy got away....

The homeowner, who'd been away for more than a week, later discovered that the intruder had eaten food, taken a shower, and appeared to have given himself a haircut. "Brown hair was found in the house," Hisek said, and there apparently was so much hair found that police suspect the burglar may have shaved his head. One thing certain is that the intruder left a lot of DNA evidence behind. ......

A great article at crimesider..

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20008359-504083.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2010/06/22/community/doc4c2039777963f986677624.txt

For Family, Break-In Was Starling, Unsettling

By Nathan Johnson
nathan.johnson@yankton.net
Published: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:39 AM CDT
Members of the Kelly Kneifl family were looking forward to crawling into their beds back in Yankton early Friday morning but were instead startled by a nightmare awaiting them.

Arriving at their home in the 400 block of Belmont Avenue around 3 a.m. Friday after visiting family, Lisa Kneifl noticed something out of the ordinary, according to her husband, Kelly.

“We opened the garage door and drove in,” Kelly recalled. “My wife got out with our youngest daughter and was carrying her into the house when she noticed the entry door between the house and the garage was locked but not shut. That wasn’t how we remembered leaving it. She commented to me that it seemed strange.

“The interior door in the breezeway was open a little, and she saw a hand reach and grab the door to slam it shut,” he continued. “She screamed, and I bolted past her to throw the door open. There was a young man turning around to run the other way. He was naked, ran three or four steps and then jumped over the banister into the basement. I came around the steps, and it was pitch black. He said, ‘Stop! I’ve got a gun! I’ll shoot! I’ll shoot!’ There was a laser light of some kind pointing in my direction. I turned around, went back upstairs and got out of the house.”

The family got into its vehicle and backed out of the garage. By that time, Kneifl’s 12-year-old daughter had dialed 9-1-1 and was speaking with a police dispatcher. He grabbed the phone and explained what had just occurred.

However, by the time police entered the house, the intruder had fled.

I don't agree with stealing from anyone. We all work very hard for the things we have. However based on articles and his mother stating he always wanted to have his own airline his pictures he drew of planes etc it seems like he had a dream and went for it. He obviously is very intelligent and not letting anything get in his way. His mother stated he checks his facebook fan site, and that she speaks to him sometimes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back