973 users online (183 members and 790 guests)  

Websleuths News

Mystery writer Dick Francis has died

A spokeswoman says best-selling British thriller writer and former jockey Dick Francis has died in his home in the Cayman Islands. He was 89. Francis was the author of 42 novels. He was also a successful jockey, winning over 350 races.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/e...ment/BO135553/

I always loved his books. He will be missed.

From the Sunday Telegraph's lengthy, and as-always-excellent, obit:
    [Francis] also had a minute eye for detail and an ability to take even the most un-horsey of readers into his world. He was as convincing in his portrayal of the spartan existence of the stable lad as he was in that of the sybaritic lifestyle of the manipulating owner in his home counties pad: "Not to read Dick Francis because you don't like horses," remarked one reviewer in Newsweek, "is like not reading Dostoyevsky because you don't believe in God."
    He had his admirers in more highbrow circles as well. Philip Larkin praised the "absolute sureness of his settings, the freshness of his characters, the terrifying climaxes of violence, the literate jauntiness of style, the unfailing intelligent compassion".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...k-Francis.html

Unhappy

RIP Mr. Francis

He is a beloved author at our house, one who has helped me pass many hours from beach vacations to the tedious days on bedrest with my oldest son.

Prayers for his family and friends, especially his son with whom he collaborated in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    RIP Mr. Francis

He is a beloved author at our house, one who has helped me pass many hours from beach vacations to the tedious days on bedrest with my oldest son.

Prayers for his family and friends, especially his son with whom he collaborated in recent years.
    Dick Francis is a longtime favorite at our house as well. It was said that he collaborated heavily with his wife, though she was never credited in his books. His first collaboration with his son, 4 or 5 years ago, had some fairly juicy sex scenes in them! But the last few hewed more closely to the style of the original books, thank goodness. Apparently Tesco, the British supermarket chain, is financing/producing some movies, including some based on the Francis books.

I've read quite a number of Dick Francis novels over the years-- he brought to life a certain atmosphere that couldn't be replicated anywhere else. He leaves behind a body of work to be proud of... RIP.