anthrobones

Reaction score
Diane Prevost
Missing since September 17, 1966 from Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: January 2, 1964
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 2 years old
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair.
  • Marks, Scars: Diane had stitches on one foot. She has an indent on the opposite knee where a hot iron touched her skin.
Circumstances of Disappearance
On Saturday September, 17, 1966, Diane Prevost disappeared while her family was camping at Grundy Provincial Park. Diane was playing on the beach, and would not go near the lake, as she was afraid of the water. Diane wanted to return to the trailer at the campsite, which was about 500 feet from the beach. Her father indicated he would take her back, but when he turned to do so, she was no longer on the beach. The family began to look for her immediately, and after an hour contacted the police for assistance. Despite an extensive search of the park and the lake, Diane was not found and has not been seen since.

dianne1.jpg
dianeprogression.jpg

Age Progression of Diane Prevost to 45 years old (February 2009)

http://www.dianeprevost.info/

I think she either tried to find her way back and got lost, or a she was kidnapped. The family camped there often, the site states every weekend or almost every weekend.

It is hard to imagine a child falling into a lake and no sound, no splash that something fell in. Especially if here dad was right there untangling his fishing line. Even a fish jumping would likely make noise someone would notice and then see some ripples on the water...

I wonder if any regular campers suddenly quit camping their after Diane went missing. She was a beautiful little girl.

A lot of mistakes were made by LE. They did not close the gates to the park to search vehicles leaving. I have been to this park it is very vast, There are at least 4 lakes, a lot of forest. It would be very easy for your child to wander with out knowing which direction they went. I was camping at Arrowhead Provincial Park, a while ago, when my 7 year old son suddenly wasn't on the campsite any longer. With in 30 min of not finding him, we notified park rangers. They very quickly descended, to the area. Park gates were closed.
90 min later he was found in a totally different camp ground area. He had been trying to follow a woodpecker. Then just followed a trail and ended up on a different campsite.
What I am saying is Grundy Park is a park where in a heartbeat they can be out of your sight. And you might not know which way they went. Scary, really.
Here is some pics of Grundy Park. Gives an idea of how vast it is.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/ENGLISH/grun.html

674Grundy%20Lake.jpg

13004Grundy%20Lake.jpg

4974Grundy%20Lake.jpg

27012Grundy%20Lake.jpg

26281Grundy%20Lake.jpg

gallery.php

28664Grundy%20Lake.jpg

thanks for the pictures and info RubyRed. The link to the families site stated the park is about 6100 acres! That is one massive amount of land. Kids move quickly... and in a blink of an eye are gone, distracted, have no idea of what dangers might befall them.

Also, LE back in the 60's was so incredibly different than today, especially in their training.

I hope the family finds answers one day....

Judging from the pictures those lakes are likely to have steep drops in water depth very near the shore. Also in those types of lakes undercurrents are often encountered that are quite stronger than one would expect from a lake. I am no expert but I do know that finding drowning victims is rarely as easy as it may sound. If the kid was towed under by a current it is quite possible that her body got snagged and never surfaced.

I think she wandered off and sadly ended in a thicket of bushes or under a tree and was never spotted....In such a big park - you could never cover every inch of the park and while she was in one direction the family searching for her were in other directions.

From what I could read this little girl was found in Nebraska. That's quite the drive.

Unfortunately I also think Diane probably drowned or just wandered into the brush and succumbed to the elements :-/

I would imagine they interviewed other campers at the park. Was anyone particularly noteworthy? The date of disappearance was Sept. 17, which I'd think would be pretty late for the beach/camping season in Canada, so perhaps there even weren't many others aside from the family...

I would imagine they interviewed other campers at the park. Was anyone particularly noteworthy? The date of disappearance was Sept. 17, which I'd think would be pretty late for the beach/camping season in Canada, so perhaps there even weren't many others aside from the family...

September is actually perfect for camping in Ontario. Black fly and mosquito season is over. The days are still quite warm. Might be a little late for swimming but kids still will. The nights cool off but perfect for a campfire. Plus the parks aren't busy and campers are few. The leaves on the trees are beautiful.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I watched the short YT segment on Diane's disappearance. It showed police using tracking dogs that had picked up her scent but made no mention of what those dogs found or what LE made of any results from the tracking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back