Photo from:
Roanoke Co. Police

Joan Renee Cook
WSLS News Staff
news@wsls.com
Published: February 15, 2010
Updated: February 15, 2010
» 0 Comments | Post a Comment
ROANOKE CO. - Police are trying to find a woman who has not been seen by family or friends for three weeks.

Roanoke County Police say 45-year-old Joan Renee Cook disappeared after leaving her home the night of January 24th.

She is:

—5 ft. 6 in. tall
—Weighs 120 pounds
—Last seen wearing a red sweater, blue jeans, Timberland shoes, and a black jacket

If you have any information, call Roanoke County Police at (540) 777-8636.

According to Veromi:

Joan may have had the name Huffman - (married? / maiden?)

Has had residences in Salem, Hardy & Roanoke, VA

http://www.courts.state.va.us/caseinfo/home.html
According to Roanoke City Circuit Court records - she was divorced in 2003 = appears her maiden name was Hoffman according to these records.

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=11988426

Roanoke County Police are asking you to keep an eye out for a Salem woman who's been missing for about three weeks.

The last time Joan Cook's family saw her was on January 24th.

The 45-year-old was wearing a red sweater and blue jeans.

A family member says she has been on anti-depressent medicine for years.

They also say for her to wander away, especially from her seven-year-old daughter, is very uncharacteristic.

You can call Roanoke County Police at 777-8636 if you see Cook.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/236720

Roanoke County authorities are asking for help finding a woman who was last seen in January.

Joan Renee Cook, 45, left her home the evening of Jan. 24, according to Roanoke County Detective J.D. Clark. She was reported missing Jan. 31.

Clark said the woman was last seen wearing a red sweater, blue jeans, Timberland shoes and a black jacket. Cook is described as 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing 120 pounds.

She was reported to have left her home on foot, Clark said. Cook lives in "the Salem part of Roanoke County," said Clark, who declined to be more specific.

Anyone with information is asked to call Roanoke County Police at 777-8636

She has a 7 year old? And it took a week before she was even reported missing? And we're just now hearing about it on the news?

WTH???

Yeah...I agree on this... What in the world took so long to get her story out to the media???

Yeah...I agree on this... What in the world took so long to get her story out to the media???

I haven't been on here in a while, I just couldn't take the agony of Aveion's and Morgan's discoveries and I had to take a break from all the heartbreak. I just read this about Joan and I was wondering the same thing, MB, why wasn't this on the news as soon as she was reported missing, and why, if she disappeared on the 24th that she wasn't reported missing until the 31st? Why are we having so many women missing in our area so close together? Kelly Catalano from Chester, Jill Edmonds from Richmond, Eleanor Elizabeth Salotto from Lynchburg and now Joan Cook from Roanoke. Lynchburg and Roanoke are at my back door, so to speak, and I can't understand women disappearing from our area like this. What in the world is happening?

I haven't been on here in a while, I just couldn't take the agony of Aveion's and Morgan's discoveries and I had to take a break from all the heartbreak. I just read this about Joan and I was wondering the same thing, MB, why wasn't this on the news as soon as she was reported missing, and why, if she disappeared on the 24th that she wasn't reported missing until the 31st? Why are we having so many women missing in our area so close together? Kelly Catalano from Chester, Jill Edmonds from Richmond, Eleanor Elizabeth Salotto from Lynchburg and now Joan Cook from Roanoke. Lynchburg and Roanoke are at my back door, so to speak, and I can't understand women disappearing from our area like this. What in the world is happening?

This is EXACTLY what was going through my head when I saw this thread. What's up with all the women missing so close together in time as well as area? I'm not from that region of the country, but...wow.

Yes I don't understand it as well...

Also the woman that was found in the shallow grave in Lynchburg a couple months ago. I cannot remember what her name was. No one has been charged in her murder.

And we have the case of Childs and Metzler who were shot to death that hasn't been solved.

And this man is missing from roughly the same area as Kelly & Jill:
Michael Lesly Green was last seen on the morning of Dec. 19 at his home in the 1400 block of Baylors Lane in Petersburg. He is 27, black, is 6 feet 2 inches tall, weighs 220 pounds, has a medium-brown complexion, a moustache and a goatee. Anyone with information about Green's whereabouts is asked to call Petersburg Crime Solvers at 861-1212.

Roanoke County officials are asking for the public's help locating a woman who was last seen in January.

Joan Renee Cook, 45, left her home in Roanoke County the evening of Jan. 24, according to Roanoke County detective J.D. Clark. She was reported missing Jan. 31
Clark said the adult woman was last seen wearing a red sweater, blue jeans, Timberland shoes and a black jacket. Cook is described as being 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing 120 pounds.

Clark said Cook was reported to have left her home on foot, noting that "there is no known vehicle information. Anyone with information is asked to call 540-777-8636.

http://projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=8179.0

Thank you. I still don't understand why it was a week later that she was reported missing? Was the 7 year old at home when she was last seen? Did Joan have neighbors? Were they suspicious when they didn't see her for a week? If this was uncharacteristic for her and she would not leave her child, then it sounds like foul play to me. Is there a husband? Boyfriend? I don't understand why there isn't any more information given out to the public when people go missing. The public can help a lot if we're just informed more.

Welcome to WS sister in law! We are glad you are here and thank you for providing some clarity regarding Ms. Cook's situation. I commend her ex husband for taking care of their daughter and being a responsible parent!

I hope you don't mind, but if you can maybe answer a few questions that could help us in helping LE to locate your sister in law.

Has Ms. Cook displayed this kind of behavior before? (leaving for any length of time)
Do you believe Ms. Cook to be in the company of this person she was having an affair with?
Is it known by the family who this person is? (Remember you can't name names, unless they have been made public through media reports or by LE).
Did anyone see Ms. Cook get into a vehicle - or is it believed she walked somewhere to meet someone?
Was Ms. Cook believed to be under the influence when she left the residence?

Is there going to be a search of the surrounding area to make sure she didn't wander off somewhere if she was intoxicated? I am local and would be more than willing to help participate in any organized search.

<modsnip>.

The only 'finger-pointing' I see (and it's a stretch to really call it that) are the questions as to why it took a week to report her missing and 3 weeks for the police to report it to the media.

btw:

A family member says she has been on anti-depressent medicine for years.

They also say for her to wander away, especially from her seven-year-old daughter, is very uncharacteristic.

Seems we have a difference of opinion among family members.

Roanoke County officials are asking for the public's help locating a woman who was last seen in January.

Joan Renee Cook, 45, left her home in Roanoke County the evening of Jan. 24, according to Roanoke County detective J.D. Clark. She was reported missing Jan. 31
Clark said the adult woman was last seen wearing a red sweater, blue jeans, Timberland shoes and a black jacket. Cook is described as being 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing 120 pounds.

Clark said Cook was reported to have left her home on foot, noting that "there is no known vehicle information. Anyone with information is asked to call 540-777-8636.

http://projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=8179.0

from that link:

Circumstances of Disappearance: She was last seen in Salem, VA at a residence on Elderwood Rd. She left that residence on foot at around 11pm. The last contact with her was a text message received at 5am on January 25th. At that time, according to cell phone records, she was about 6 miles away on the 3rd Salem exit going South on I-81 in VA.

<modsnip>.

Without naming names, is that the direction she'd take to get to this b/f (ex-b/f?)? You say he 'dumped her and moved on'... do you know of any further contact since the breakup?

According to the google map...looks like she would have had to have walked quite a bit to get to W. Main to possibly pick up a ride - unless she found a ride somewhere in that neighborhood.

There is a convenience/store gas station right at the exit of that neighborhood. It used to be a Chevron...I don't know if it still is or not. I haven't been to W. Salem for quite some time.

The 3rd Salem exit - would put her around Dixie Caverns? Does her cell phone ping actually put her on I-81 or just in that general vicinity where Rt 460 runs parallel?

There are campers that stay year round at Dixie Caverns...has anyone thought to look there?

Okay...I've got a friend that went to school with Joan, but she doesn't remember her. However she does know someone who does.

This person passed info along to my friend who told her that Joan was really into tanning. Always had to have a tan and that Joan was very thin.

My friend is trying to get me more info. I'll post again when I know anything further.

How did she normally spend/celebrate her birthdays?

Thanks for the concern To answer a few questions about my sister in law, it was not uncommon for Joan to disappear for weeks at a time with her boyfriend, then suddenly he dumps her, the last contact anyone had from her was from her cell phone and that cell phone was tracked to an exit off the interstate near where she left. The mesage was "I love you" and it was to the boyfriend that dumped her. Everyone that can be questioned has been questioned, her own family is estranged from her and no one claims to know here she is.

I too wonder why a search party hasn't been put together on this, but I am in Iowa and the drama is unfolding in Viriginia. I just wish she would call from wherever and let us all know she is alive and just getting away.

She loves her daughter, but alcohol has become a very important part of this young womans life.

Thanks MBLover, your friend is right, Joan was always tan and couldn't get enough of it. But since her live recently is spiraling out of control there hasn't been must tanning. Any news would be greatly appreciated by all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back