1074 users online (225 members and 849 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

VA - Eleanor Salotto, 47, Lynchburg, 11 Feb 2010

http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news...nchburg/24105/

Police searching for missing woman in Lynchburg

From staff reports
    Published: February 13, 2010
    Updated: February 13, 2010

A search is under way this evening for a woman believed to be missing and possibly endangered, according to the Lynchburg Police Department.

Eleanor Elizabeth Salotto, 57, was last seen in Lynchburg around 4 p.m. Thursday, officials said in a press release. Salotto was described as 5’7” and approximately 130 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a lavender baseball cap, a lavender sweater with a red shirt underneath, black pants, and tennis shoes.

Earlier this evening, multiple Lynchburg police officers and fire and rescue units were seen staging search efforts along the James River in downtown. A Virginia State Police helicopter was also seen flying overhead. It was not immediately clear if these efforts were related to Eleanor Salotto’s disappearance.

Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of Eleanor Salotto is asked to contact the Lynchburg Emergency Communications Center at (434) 847-1602 or (434) 847-1603. Calls may also be directed to the Lynchburg Police Department at (434) 455-6041.
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 03-22-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Hello, I am new to this community and wanted to add something. Eleanor Salotto is a professor of English at my college, a brilliant woman and a published writer. She has no physical or mental disabilities, and it's unlikely that this is weather-related (most of the snow has bee cleared away). Please, if anyone has any information, call the Lynchburg police.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Psypomp.

Is there anything we can do to help?

I don't know that there's anything we can do. If you know anyone in our area, perhaps you could ask them if they know of her.

For the most part, though, it's a matter of waiting. Thank you for your concern.

We can certainly help make sure the word is spread! Lots of folks read here and others have their own web sites. The more people that know, the more that will be on the look out for Eleanor.

Also, there is a wealth of information posted here on what to do if a loved one is missing!

BRIEF: Police search for missing woman in Lynchburg

http://dailyme.com/story/20100214000...lynchburg.html

THE NEWS & ADVANCE, LYNCHBURG, VA. | Sun, Feb 14, 4:08 AM

Feb. 14--A missing person report sparked a search that led Lynchburg police to the downtown portion of the James River on Saturday evening.

Police said Eleanor Elizabeth Salotto was last seen walking on Ninth Street on Thursday afternoon and classified her as a "missing/endangered person."

On Saturday, police, along with fire and rescue units, searched along the downtown stretch of the river and a State Police helicopter made several passes over the area.

Police appeared to have cleared the area by 6:30 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Psypomp View Post
    I don't know that there's anything we can do. If you know anyone in our area, perhaps you could ask them if they know of her.

For the most part, though, it's a matter of waiting. Thank you for your concern.
    Sending prayers you find your friend safe, Psypomp. If it helps any doing a simple google search someone received and e-mail and Twittered about your friend so the message is getting out.

Again, prayers for your friend.

Professor Salotto sadly is till missing. Campus police are working along with local LE to try and find Professor Salotto.

There is no foul play suspected. Presently Professor Salotto is "missing/endangered".

There's a different photograph of Professor Salotto at this link. I pray they find this beautiful woman safe.

http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news...spected/24130/

Thank you so much for the prayers. I know this will turn out for the better in the end. I believe she will be found.

VA - Eleanor Elizabeth Salotto, 47, Lynchburg, 11 Feb 2010

A missing person report sparked a search that led Lynchburg police to the downtown portion of the James River on Saturday evening.

Police said Eleanor Elizabeth Salotto was last seen walking on Ninth Street on Thursday afternoon and classified her as a “missing/endangered person.”

On Saturday, police, along with fire and rescue units, searched along the downtown stretch of the river and a State Police helicopter made several passes over the area.

Police appeared to have cleared the area by 6:30 p.m.

Police described Salotto as 5 feet, 7 inches tall and approximately 130 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes.

She was last seen wearing a lavender baseball cap, a lavender sweater with a red shirt underneath, black pants and tennis shoes.

Anyone with information regarding Salotto’s whereabouts is asked to contact the Lynchburg Emergency Communi-cations Center at (434) 847-1602 or the Lynchburg Police Department at (434) 455-6041.
    They are saying she is 'missing/endangered' but don't suspect foul play.

I didn't notice a thread on her yet; if there is, please merge this with the other.

ETA: another photo here:

Last edited by summer_breeze; 03-22-2010 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post

They are saying she is 'missing/endangered' but don't suspect foul play.

I didn't notice a thread on her yet; if there is, please merge this with the other.

ETA: another photo here:

Salotto, associate professor of English and chair of the English department, has worked at Sweet Briar for 12 years, said Jonathan Green, dean of the college.

She lives in Lynchburg, and has no family in the area, he said.

“This is a very close knit case where everyone knows everyone,” Green said. “I’m sure there isn’t a per-son on campus that isn’t upset.”

that is snipped from the second article you posted. Very odd

From the Sweet Briar College Website where she was a Professor
    http://www.sbc.edu/news/items/9068
    <snip>
    According to Jonathan Green, dean of the College, Salotto was last seen on campus on Thursday, Feb. 11, and was seen later that day in Lynchburg. On Friday, a friend of Salotto’s arrived in Lynchburg for a visit and became concerned when Salotto did not meet her at the airport as planned.

The Lynchburg Police Department was notified and officers went to her apartment to check on her, but she was not there. The following day, a missing-person report was filed, and a formal investigation and search were initiated.
    <snip>

The college is about 10 miles or so north of Lynchburg off Route 29.

She's been missing for several days...it's cold outside and even worse at night. She's a professor, so it's more than likely that she's not going to just walk away from her job or life.

So I'm gathering that LE believes she's either taken off or has committed suicide.

Praying for the best for her and I hope she's found soon.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails.

I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by redkatrampant View Post
    From the Sweet Briar College Website where she was a Professor
    http://www.sbc.edu/news/items/9068
    <snip>
    According to Jonathan Green, dean of the College, Salotto was last seen on campus on Thursday, Feb. 11, and was seen later that day in Lynchburg. On Friday, a friend of Salotto’s arrived in Lynchburg for a visit and became concerned when Salotto did not meet her at the airport as planned.

The Lynchburg Police Department was notified and officers went to her apartment to check on her, but she was not there. The following day, a missing-person report was filed, and a formal investigation and search were initiated.
    <snip>
    At least on the surface, she doesn't appear to be someone who would simply walk away. And in this frigid weather with just a sweater?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast