GUILTY VA - Braxton Taylor, 9 mos, dies of head trauma, Virginia Beach, 6 Feb 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
A Virginia Beach mother charged in connection with the death of her 9-month-old foster child posted $25,000 bond Tuesday.

Kathleen Ganiere appeared in a Virginia Beach courtroom where a judge placed her on home confinement and told her she can only leave the house for medical and attorney visits.

While in court Tuesday, the medical examiner working this case said this is the worst case of Shaken Baby Syndrome they've ever seen. During testimony, the medical examiner said the baby suffered from crushed genitalia and had old and new injuries.

According to the baby's foster father, the baby, Braxton Taylor, came to them in early November with medical problems, including severe tremors. He also told the court he'd never seen his wife hurt Taylor.

more here

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/foster-mom-charged-in-baby-death-posts-bond-em

RIP, baby Braxton :rose:

I'm sorry your short life was filled with pain, but you don't have to hurt any more.

so let me get this straight, 2,500 cash for a baby killer?

massachusetts and it's 1,000 for a child rapist isnt looking so bad anymore............

I add my "why?" to the mix. If she couldn't handle the baby's needs, removal is only one phone call away. There's always emergency respite for children in the system with special needs.

I'd really like to know what this woman's level of experience and training was. Has she parented other children. Medically fragile, substance exposed nine-monthers (I'm making this assumption due to the tremors) can be extremely challenging. One must have nerves of steel and a continuously calm composure. Think colic that never goes away.

I'd like to know why the foster Dad never saw anything and why the workers didn't notice red flags. Sometimes, substitute parents get into this horrible cycle of not bonding with the child, the child acting out, abuse, more acting out, attempting to cover up the issue due to shame......and then the point of no return. The fact that she injured his genitals, tells me that she was dealing with extreme anger.

Yes, there can be the issue of the foster care payment causing people to hold on longer than they should. I realize that people often jump to that conclusion. But fostering special needs babies is hard hard work. There's far easier ways to make $400-2000 month (the typical span). Trust me, far easier. I seriously doubt that this woman took on a special needs baby because she's a sadist. Something went really wrong in her brain.

As Ms. Mist said, dear Braxton, you are with the angels and safe and warm and comfy.

god must have a very busy romper room up there lately :(

I've put in my reservation for the special needs baby and puppy nursery.

I agree with MissIzzy, this woman didn't realize what she was taking on with this child. She probably couldn't deal with the special attention this little one required. Why, and that's a big why didn't she tell someone? The foster father probably is telling the truth when he says that he never saw her treat the baby with anything but love and kindness. I think the most stressful times with a sick child is during the day, when everyone else is at work and you're left alone to deal. I don't think this woman intentionally set about to cause this baby harm at the onset (when she decided to foster him. Harming the genitals had to be intentional and an act of anger)...but she did and she needs to be punished for it.
JMO

From November 2011:

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/foster-mom-gets-10-years-virginia-beach-infants-death

Judge Patricia L. West on Wednesday sentenced Ganiere to the maximum 10-year prison term for voluntary manslaughter, exceeding sentencing guidelines that called for no jail time and even the eight years the prosecution had sought.

"I don't need an expert to tell me something horrible happened to that child," West said. "He was a baby who never had a chance once he was with Ms. Ganiere"...

Ganiere was charged with second-degree murder and felony child abuse but pleaded guilty to the lesser voluntary manslaughter charge in June.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back