Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Criminal trial scheduling including pre-trial hearings, conferences & Timeline

Is this old news? I just happened to Google Raven today and saw the October 29th date:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11170204/

Durham, N.C. A former Durham resident pleaded not guilty Monday to killing his wife more than seven years ago, and his trial was set for October.

Raven Abaroa, 32, is charged with first-degree murder in the April 26, 2005, death of his wife.

Janet Abaroa, 25, was pregnant with her second child when she was stabbed to death in an upstairs room at the couple's Durham home.

Raven Abaroa has maintained that he was at a soccer game when his wife was killed and that he found her when he returned home later that night. He was arrested in February 2010 in Idaho, where he and the couple's son, Kaiden, had moved after Janet Abaroa's death.

Prosecutors said during a brief court hearing Monday that they have withdrawn all plea offers.

The trial was set to begin the week of Oct. 29.

"We are pleased it is moving forward," said Tim Dowd, a spokesman for Janet Abaroa's family. "It's been over seven years by the time we get to the trial, 7 years so we are looking forward to this case being resolved and looking forward to the prosecution vigorously pursing justice for Janet and her unborn child."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bpinkbinkie For This Useful Post:

terminatrixator is offline All Posts JMO - May Godspeed Justice for Janet and her unborn child!
    I guess I thought I posted about it, and I didn't thank you much.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke

"Safety never takes a holiday" ~Britney Romito

"It's easier to KEEP Raven happy, than it is to MAKE Raven happy." ~Janet Christiansen (Abaroa)

"Right now you have the capabilities of being a God" ~Karen Abaroa Bolton

4. The Following User Says Thank You to terminatrixator For This Useful Post:

Hello, is it known if the trial is still on for Oct 29th?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sureLocke For This Useful Post:

terminatrixator is offline All Posts JMO - May Godspeed Justice for Janet and her unborn child!
    I heard people are receiving their subpoenas. I haven't heard anything else but that recently.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke

"It's easier to KEEP Raven happy, than it is to MAKE Raven happy." ~Janet Christiansen (Abaroa)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to terminatrixator For This Useful Post:

So far, no change. Fasten your seatbelts, sports fans -- another trial featuring a husband charged with murdering his pregnant wife.

Do we know whether this trial will be live-streamed? Tia.

Listing: 1 - 1 10/15/2012
    District and Superior Courts of DURHAM County
    Court....... Defendant ....................... Date of Birth.......Court Date....... Court Room........ Session....... Case Number...... Citation Number Superior....ABAROA,RAVEN,SAMUEL ...........10/11/1979 ...... 10/29/2012 ........ 001S ............. AM .............. 2010CRS001087
    Last edited by borndem; 10-15-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: line-up of court info

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II

The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

I was just wondering about where we were on this trial. I am changing jobs so I might not be able to watch live. I hope it is archived somewhere.
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to seattlechiquita For This Useful Post:

Greetz, SeaChiq, nice to have you on this board -- and I hope your new job is a certified winner for ya, CoffeeCityHumanBean! It's exciting & a bit scary -- or was for me...

Anyway, if it is live-streamed and if WRAL (a Raleigh, NC, TV broadcasting network) is in on it, what they have always done in the past is to archive it for quite some time -- months to years. And they have "today's" trial segment available "tonight," so you really won't be behind if you wanna view it "tonight." I just don't know fer shure if it will be streamed -- I would think so, but you never can tell....

Another Narcississtic, egotistic, misogynistic, sociopath -- gee, how many of those have we watched? And how many of those are in prison at this very moment? For life without parole, if it's first degree murder and if it's in NC. Or Death. There's only those two ways to go on 1st Degree Murder here. And LWOP is absolutely for life. No parole, no nothing. Period. Abaroa won't like that one bit. We've just got to get him there.

Justice for Janet and her unborn.

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

I just emailed WRAL.com to ask if they were planning to live-stream the Abaroa trial -- so if/when I get an answer, I'll let you know...

Let's hope!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Abaroa Trial Delayed

Arrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Trial has been delayed.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=8853507

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by borndem View Post
    Arrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Trial has been delayed.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=8853507
    He took the stand???? Would love to see that happen during the trial.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to terminatrixator For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by terminatrixator View Post
    He took the stand???? Would love to see that happen during the trial.
    "Raven Abaroa took the stand during his pretrial hearing Friday to talk about evidence in the case. The defense wanted to suppress evidence gathered at Abaroa's home, specifically the laptop computer he reported missing." LINK

So they did find the missing laptop, and apparently there is something on it that the defense doesn't want to come out in trial. This is a good sign, I hope.
    "It's easier to KEEP Raven happy, than it is to MAKE Raven happy." ~~ JA

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to L L & S For This Useful Post:

Seems rather odd to me; if you're after the truth why would you suppress evidence? I guess Raven must have something to hide.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLocke For This Useful Post:

I thought the laptop was missing completely stolen along with some of his knives.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terminatrixator For This Useful Post:

Angry

I'm no lawyer, but I don't see any grounds for disallowing the info on that computer as long as it was seized legally. It does make one wonder what he is trying to hide.... Love notes with someone else? Future plans with someone else "after my wife is gone," or like that??? Hope so!! I just hope when it was seized that all was legit. But the listings on S/Ws these days always include computers and any other type of storage devices, etc., etc.

I guess we'll have plenty of time now to mull that one since the trial has been delayed till next year. Grrrrrrr. And apparently his attorney is a good defender in murder cases. Another Grrrrrr. What's the big deal, I guess -- seven years to wait for justice....eight years.... What's the diff??

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

WRAL Plans to Livestream the Abaroa Trial

Alert! Alert!

I just received this response from WRAL when I asked about their plans to stream the Abaroa trial:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moore, Bonnie BMoore@wral.com
    7:45 AM (3 hours ago)

Thank you for your email. This trial is now postponed until sometime in January. We do intend to livestream the trial.
    Bonnie

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by borndem; 10-22-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by borndem View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but I don't see any grounds for disallowing the info on that computer as long as it was seized legally. It does make one wonder what he is trying to hide.... Love notes with someone else? Future plans with someone else "after my wife is gone," or like that??? Hope so!! I just hope when it was seized that all was legit. But the listings on S/Ws these days always include computers and any other type of storage devices, etc., etc.

I guess we'll have plenty of time now to mull that one since the trial has been delayed till next year. Grrrrrrr. And apparently his attorney is a good defender in murder cases. Another Grrrrrr. What's the big deal, I guess -- seven years to wait for justice....eight years.... What's the diff??
    Whatever information they gleaned, how could it not be legit. He stated the laptop computer was stolen. Pretty funny that on April 25, 2005 he posted the now famous or infamous "If I were a Bird", reflecting on his life. I believe that's the same damn day he joined Alta or Reunion and signed up as single. That's the day before the murder.

His laptop was confiscated by police in January of 2005 (four months before Janet's murder) when he was arrested for embezzlement. Raven's been around the block, he planned and premeditated this murder. I think this should be a DP case, he deserves the DP for what he has done to Janet and his unborn child and Janet and his own family and all those he touches. This piece of excrement knew that the minute Janet was murdered, the first thing law enforcement would do is go through and take his lap top. It NEEDED to be missing.

He planned and premeditated this murder. He had ample opportunity to get rid of it after he killed her and get rid of it on his way to soccer. Janet was completely and utterly dead and in a state of rigomortis when 911 was called, he killed her, went to play soccer, came home and made that feeble attempt of acting confused and bereft during that 911 call. He mumbled and and whined, but it was contrived, fake and then when he gave the address, he actually enunciated, it was completely malarkey.

I believe that's what happened. Problem with Raven is he told so many people different versions, that he couldn't keep them all straight.

I cannot believe anyone, friends, family or his defense team can even remotely believe he's not a cold blooded killer.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terminatrixator For This Useful Post:

JANUARY? I leave for 4 days and this happens? Damn. I am not happy.
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to seattlechiquita For This Useful Post:

Yes, maddening -- but since the DT asked for it, I guess the judge figured it best be done.... I'm quite disappointed, too.

In light of the hurricane, thank you Amos Tyndall for continuing it.

I believe most of Janet's family lives on the east coast and it would be a terrible time for them to have to travel at this time.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those that live on the East Coast.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terminatrixator For This Useful Post:

Trial continued to April 22 or April 29th...

Tyndall requested Raven be allowed to wait in Utah, O'Foghludha denied the request.

Theresa Pressley is off the case and we have a new Prosecutor, ADA Charlene Coggins-Franks.

There's a bunch of little red herrings in the piece regarding dna, blood and fingerprints. Keep throwing those Red Herrings at the wall Attorney Tyndall and keep hoping one will stick, but we all know Raven did it and he's where he belongs.

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_s...-delayed-again

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terminatrixator For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by terminatrixator View Post
    Whatever information they gleaned, how could it not be legit. He stated the laptop computer was stolen. Pretty funny that on April 25, 2005 he posted the now famous or infamous "If I were a Bird", reflecting on his life. I believe that's the same damn day he joined Alta or Reunion and signed up as single. That's the day before the murder.

His laptop was confiscated by police in January of 2005 (four months before Janet's murder) when he was arrested for embezzlement. Raven's been around the block, he planned and premeditated this murder. I think this should be a DP case, he deserves the DP for what he has done to Janet and his unborn child and Janet and his own family and all those he touches. This piece of excrement knew that the minute Janet was murdered, the first thing law enforcement would do is go through and take his lap top. It NEEDED to be missing.

He planned and premeditated this murder. He had ample opportunity to get rid of it after he killed her and get rid of it on his way to soccer. Janet was completely and utterly dead and in a state of rigomortis when 911 was called, he killed her, went to play soccer, came home and made that feeble attempt of acting confused and bereft during that 911 call. He mumbled and and whined, but it was contrived, fake and then when he gave the address, he actually enunciated, it was completely malarkey.

I believe that's what happened. Problem with Raven is he told so many people different versions, that he couldn't keep them all straight.

I cannot believe anyone, friends, family or his defense team can even remotely believe he's not a cold blooded killer.
    Yep, 'trixator, I think that's exactly what happened -- kinda like how Con-Conrad Murray handled MJ's death -- he had MJ's staff call 911 about an hour after Michael's death; EMT's felt that MJ had been dead a while; he was cool to the touch, etc., etc. I'm betting the EMT's knew the same when they checked Janet as well. If so, that will be big-time testimony -- IF there ever is a flippin' trial....

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Quoted from terminatrixator:

There's a bunch of little red herrings in the piece regarding dna, blood and fingerprints. Keep throwing those Red Herrings at the wall Attorney Tyndall and keep hoping one will stick, but we all know Raven did it and he's where he belongs.

What she said.
    Last edited by borndem; 12-06-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: clarity - I screwed up the Quote operation....

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

I couldn't get the Herald-Sun article to link --

try this one:

http://www.heraldsun.com/news/localn...-delayed-again

46. The Following User Says Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Raven's attorney must be hoping that the stall tactic will result in either people forgetting or no longer around to testify. It's rather a defense tactic when they have no alibi.

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pseudo_hum For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast