1228 users online (266 members and 962 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Casey is indigent? Now what?

Is Casey’s Defense Team Running Out Of Money?

http://www.wftv.com/news/22593225/detail.html

BSheaffer analysis
    http://www.wftv.com/video/22593166/index.html

Wow. Kathi tells Ms. Sheaffer that Brad, mom and pop tried to hire a different lawyer for Casey, told him they had no money, she had no money but they could pay him with portions of any would be media deal. She names the lawyer. He would not agree to this, she continues, negotiations fell apart because they were never able to get close enough to Casey! ( meaning out of Baez's earshot.) Gosh she is good!!!
    Last edited by The World According; 02-17-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Casey was indigent when she was first arrested..
    I firmly feel this is the reason we have heard nothing further from Dr. Lee and Kobi..
    I wouldn't put it past the Anthony's to sell their souls to the devil, but honestly, after all this discovery, who is truly going to listen to anything they say? Wouldn't the media outlets know this by now?

Mr. Sheaffer explains that we should be seeing the wholesale taking of depositions...and none are being done. That speaks volumes, that indicates the defense is likely out of money.

Andrea mentioned in court in December that maybe they would declare her indigent. What are they waiting for? I don't get it.
    Last edited by The World According; 02-17-2010 at 07:28 PM.

My understanding is that it is illegal for an attorney to take a case on a contingency basis. Wasn't this part of the concern on the part of the prosecution about just how the defense was being paid?

Quote Originally Posted by The World According View Post
    Is Casey’s Defense Team Running Out Of Money?

http://www.wftv.com/news/22593225/detail.html

BSheaffer analysis
    http://www.wftv.com/video/22593166/index.html

Wow. Kathi tells Ms. Sheaffer that Brad, mom and pop tried to hire a different lawyer for Casey, told him they had no money, she had no money but they could pay him with portions of any would be media deal. She names the lawyer. He would not agree to this, she continues, negotiations fell apart because they were never able to get close enough to Casey! ( meaning out of Baez's earshot.) Gosh she is good!!!
    I saw that The World, but it really wasn't clear to me when this different lawyer was approached. Can you confirm if it was before Baez made the rights deal or has it been recently?

DaughterAlice is offline ''I'm sorry if that sounds selfish, sweetie, but it's me! Me! Me! Me!''
    Maybe this is a good question for our legal experts . . . . but . . . . if the defense can't afford to depose the witnesses, isn't it possible that they cannot properly represent her? Is it possible that she could "walk"? Could it be considered a misstrial or something? (sorry, my grasp of legal-speak is sadly lacking)

Mr. Sheaffer explains that we should be seeing the wholesale taking of depositions...and none are being done. That speaks volumes, that indicates the defense is likely out of money.

Andrea mentioned in court in December that maybe they would declare her indigent. What are they waiting for? I don't get it.
    I thought that was just rebuttal whining for some fees they were going to have to pay for the JK testimony. I didn't get the feeling they were serious did you?

If they declare her indigent, does the defense then have to show what money they had come in and justify how it was spent? Will we know how much Baez paid himself? Baez certainly wouldn't want this information to be public knowledge.

One more question -- if she is declared indigent, will the present defense team be able to stay on and be funded by the State? I've asked this question in the question and answer thread, but don't think if was ever answered. Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by logicalgirl View Post
    I thought that was just rebuttal whining for some fees they were going to have to pay for the JK testimony. I didn't get the feeling they were serious did you?
    Yes, I did. I think it is painfully obvious they have no money. They have soooo many people to depose, they haven't made any steps toward getting started. Either they have no money or they are planning to have her plead guilty.

I think the money for the photos and videos is long gone.

I saw that The World, but it really wasn't clear to me when this different lawyer was approached. Can you confirm if it was before Baez made the rights deal or has it been recently?
    Kathi states on the video that it was the A's with BC who approached the attorney .... so it was earlier on in the case but post the discovery of Caylee's remains when Brad was on board. About a year?
    Disclaimer: All posts are my own humble opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Justice for Caylee

Yup...I think they're VERY serious. But, maybe they can get everyone to agree to do the work for nada.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberborg View Post
    Kathi states on the video that it was the A's with BC who approached the attorney .... so it was earlier on in the case but post the discovery of Caylee's remains when Brad was on board. About a year?
    The whole thing makes me a little sad...here the As questioned the representation of their daughter...and what does Baez do...forbid Casey from seeing them...because of the Sunshine Laws...yeah, right. I wonder what's been talked about in those letters.

When the judge rules on the discovery schedule, it seems they are going to have to speak up at that time, that they are out of money. They did not have the nine hundred to pay for all the leads, they did not have the money to personally deliver the DVDs with the autopsy photos to their experts who are beyond the age of technology, Andrea keeps mentioning she wants to do Ms. Kerley's depo via Skype, clearly the students and interns are doing a lot of the paperwork,none of the experts are examining evidence, they haven't even deposed the fundamental law enforcement officers and FBI agents yet, let alone the state's expert witnesses. This case is going to cost another million dollars to defend, imo. It could drag on another year or two, and then there are the appeals. The Anthonys are never going to be able to make the kind of money a proper defense would take. Their home is worth 200K...max. Uncle Rick sure isn't going to be taking out any second mortgages to help, and frankly..imo....neither is Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by RR0004 View Post
    The whole thing makes me a little sad...here the As questioned the representation of their daughter...and what does Baez do...forbid Casey from seeing them...because of the Sunshine Laws...yeah, right. I wonder what's been talked about in those letters.
    Brillant!!!!

Yes, I did. I think it is painfully obvious they have no money. They have soooo many people to depose, they haven't made any steps toward getting started. Either they have no money or they are planning to have her plead guilty.

I think the money for the photos and videos is long gone.
    Yes, but I thought the plan all along was just to attack the SA witnesses at trial and not depose them. Just plain stupid, but I thought that was their plan. Somewhere I think I read that. Note to self - must keep better notes.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast